What Ibanez do you reccomend?

Peavey5150

• Members

I really dig Andy Timmons and love his tone. I would love to have a AT100 but I'm thinking 2k is a lot for a guitar. I'm wanting a non sig Ibanez that isn't a cheapo and is a ready to gig guitar. What do you reccomend. It has to be a maple neck with H-S-S configuration. Thanks.

• Members

Ibanez doesn't make anything like the AT100 anymore, not5 even for the Japanese market. They make an AT300, but it's completely different.

A high quality maple fretboard H-S-S Strat would be a good substitution, IMO. For one thing, they're easy to find. :)

If you must have an Ibanez you'll have to shop used. Even then, it will take some mods to get one of the stock models close to the AT100. It was based on Ibanez's RT, RX, and EX series of guitars. Unfortunately most of these are low-line models, and the higher quality ones(what few there were) all had rosewood fretboards.

• Members

Ok I think I've found what I want. What do you think about the Jackson Soloist? That seems to have pretty much exactly what I want execpt the mable neck which I guess I can do without. Which is the best Soloist. Give me a crash coarse in the good and bad of them. Model numbers would be apprecitated. Thanks.

• Members

Yeah. I had the 300 and that's why I'm recommending it. The stock pups pretty much suck but with a set of Seymour Duncan 59's, it was outstanding. I wish SD Phat Cats were available while I had it, I think they would sound great with this guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by Peavey5150

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33044&item=7316857491&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

What do you think about this one?

That's not a Soloist, that's a Dinky. The seller is a moron. :p All Soloists are neckthrough. It's nice for a Dinky, but it's still a Dinky. ;) Those are still good guitars though, just not very much like an AT100.

If all you care about is being an H-S-S superstrat with a maple fretboard, you could buy a used Ibanez RG550 and replace the pickguard with a custom H-S-S one from Jeannie's(http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/) or EKG(www.ekgco.com).

• Members

It's a thinner neck, very comfortable to play. It's really an LP clone, carved maple top, mahogany body and all. The neck is easy to play and the guitar sets up very easily. Action is nice and low.

I have a Sherry semi hollow body with Phat Cats, a Tele and a Godin LG I just got. I want to get a Gibby LP to complete my collection and figured the Artist would be redundant. I haven't bought the LP yet so I'm REALLY sorry I sold the 300.

• Members

I agree with Toshiro

Find a late 80s, early 90s RG550. It has a maple neck and a pickguard with an HSH config. Simply have a new pickguard made with an HSS config and you're in business with one of the best Ibanez guitars ever.

• Members

H-S-H- works better than H-S-S. It's a simple thing to tap the neck pos humbucker, in fact on higher end models this is done automatically when you select position 2 or 4 on the pickup switch.

I picked up an RG1570 and it's a fantastic guitar. The pickups aren't the greatest but they're decent. Everything else on the instrument is amazing.

• Members
Originally posted by Peavey5150

I really dig Andy Timmons and love his tone. I would love to have a AT100 but I'm thinking 2k is a lot for a guitar. I'm wanting a non sig Ibanez that isn't a cheapo and is a ready to gig guitar. What do you reccomend. It has to be a maple neck with H-S-S configuration. Thanks.

this,
SA160QMTR.jpg
with a dimarzio BREED at the bridge and two cruisers(neck/middle)

• Members
Originally posted by Milkman1

H-S-H- works better than H-S-S. It's a simple thing to tap the neck pos humbucker, in fact on higher end models this is done automatically when you select position 2 or 4 on the pickup switch.

I picked up an RG1570 and it's a fantastic guitar. The pickups aren't the greatest but they're decent. Everything else on the instrument is amazing.

I like the H S H on my RT

rt650.jpg

• Members

Just for reference for those of you who have never seen one, this is an AT100:

Specs-

Body: Alder

Neck: Maple 1pc. with 22 fret Maple fingerboard

Bridge: Gotoh/Willkinson VSVG

Pickups: Dimarzio Cruiser(Neck and Middle), Dimarzio Andy Timmons Custom pickup(Bridge)

Photo:

Archived