1975 Ibanez Les Paul Custom

Jeroen

• Members

I can buy one of them, but are they any good? It takes some time to get there, so I'll just ask in advance...

And what do you think would be a good price (I live in the Netherlands)?

Thanks for your help!

• Members

Originally posted by Jeroen

I can buy one of them, but are they any good? It takes some time to get there, so I'll just ask in advance...

And what do you think would be a good price (I live in the Netherlands)?

Thanks for your help!

I wouldnt pay more than 300 for it . The bolton neck is a big turn off for me .

If I had a bug to get an older Ibanez I would look for and get one of these

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1978_Ibanez_Custom_Agent_6786325.htm

1978_Ibanez_Custom_Agent_6786325.jpg

• Members

Don't sell those bolt on Ibanez' short. I had one of those (Wine Red LP Standard) and it was a killer. Better than the Gibson LP I had.

A buddy of mine had a black Ibanez LP Custom just like that one and it was great, too.

• Members

Not to be Captain Bringdown, but...I recently checked out one of these that was in cherry sunburst. I was excited at first, to have stumbled onto a "lawsuit" Ibanez, BUT.... Without the solid finish, you could see via the edges of the body, that it had been assembled out of MANY pieces of timber, rather than being 1 or 2(or even 3!) pieces. Not laminated plys, but like kids building blocks. Also, the top seemed thin and bent, rather than carved, with some sort of chambering going on underneath. The neck/body joint was sloppy, and there was a large gap between neck and pocket on the bass side. It was in near new condition with a "super 70" sticker on the back of the headstock. I believe this indicates the pickups used in it, but may have been the model designation for the guitar. In any case, it was average at best. The construction was just not up to the hype of the copy era Ibanezes(I had a great set-neck Firebird copy), with that bent plywood top, and jigsaw puzzle body. Cosmetically, it was a sunburst LP custom with all the binding and inlays(pretty crappy up close) that that black one has, but it was a letdown. It was under $300 US, but I walked, not even wanting to try and turn it over for fun and profit. It played and sounded o.k., but the construction was poor and nothing like the guitar it emulates.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeroen

Well, doesn't seem to positive I guess. Update; if I would pay 380 euro I could come and get it...

way too much imho. Everything old is "vintage" nowadays, "vintage" however, is not always good...

Clyde42

• Members

The "jigsaw puzzle" thing is because Ibanez was copying the look of real Norlin era Gibsons. Don't worry about that aspect. Do be aware that they have a hollow section under the arched top and sound nothing like a Les Paul. They tend to be almost Telecaster bright despite the pickups. Other than that I've always kinda liked 'em.

• Members

Originally posted by Mel Cooley

The "jigsaw puzzle" thing is because Ibanez was copying the look of real Norlin era Gibsons. Don't worry about that aspect..

I've seen plenty of the sandwich body Norlins, and ones with up to 5 pieces for the top(had a '72 Deluxe like that-it looked crap but was a screamer), but this Ibanez was a sandwich made of maybe ten pieces of wood per slice. I've never seen a Gibson with such obvious multi-multi piece construction. Did they really do this on guitars with transparent finishes? I know they did get up to some crazy things to use up material and parts etc., so maybe I havent seen their worst. As far as not worrying about it, the cross-banded Gibsons had problems with shrinkage around the joins(they dropped this style around '73 I think), couldnt this type of shrinkage be worse with more pieces of wood?

The only other things Ive seen like it have been other cruddy '70s knock offs, and some of the early Jay Turser stuff. Or possibly a small cabin built from Lincoln Logs! :DThat Ibanez is a lot of money for what it is, IMO.

• Members

I was playing mine last night thinking about how nice it played, low action and low string tension from the 24 3/4 scale with a nice feeling neck. Made me want a real Les Paul. :D

The bolt on Customs are pretty cheesey with the arched top and pancake body. They don't sound much like a Les Paul though, not even very close really. The Artist model from the late seventies sounds closer to a Les Paul than than the Customs, think Steve Miller who played an Artist.

The Customs sound decent though, nice warm thick humbucker tone but much brighter than a Les Paul. Can get muddy with too much gain but still a nice sound unless the pick-ups feedback from microphonics which they are prone to do. Overall 380 euros sounds too much, I don't think I paid over $300 for mine.

• Members

I have one, while not sounding like a real Gibson, it compete very well, the problem is the neck, wich have a little warp in it, so i have to put 11 strings on it if i want it to have a real low action. I am currently thinking of selling it, (i need money for a new guit), bur the sound is so warm like i haven't hear too much time on a guitare so...

Archived