How does a P90 sound in a Strat ?

• Members

I'm not sure but I would think that it may be a bit bright. Most Strats are Alder, Ash or basswood and a P90 is a crisp pup. I think the P90s sound great with a mahogany body guitar.

• Members

See my post on the Strat P-90 conversion I just finished. I respectfully disagree with the last post. It's definitely smoother and fatter than a (edit: regular/typical) SC. Of course, the actual P90 you choose will make a difference too.

In my case- it sounds fantastic. It's not as bright as when I had MIA stock, Carvin AP22, or Fender Fat 50's in there. Just be sure to wire a tone control to it, and you're cookin' with grease!

PaulS

• Members
Originally posted by Shocker

Watch yourself there. Someone will have to point out that a P90 is a single coil, Paul.

Won't be me though.
:D

//S

Good catch. A typo I blame on my Dos Equis. :D Okay-- here's what I meant to say-- "it's not as bright as a conventional SC."

PaulS

• Members
Originally posted by PaulSter

Good catch. A typo I blame on my Dos Equis.
Okay-- here's what I meant to say-- "it's not as bright as a
conventional
SC."

PaulS

:)

No worries. I was thinking about starting a thread entitled "Does anyone make a single-coiled sized P90?" but I can't think of how to start it without a.) sounding stupid or b.) exceeding the line limit for thread titles. :D

//S

• Members

No worries. I was thinking about starting a thread entitled "Does anyone make a single-coiled sized P90?" but I can't think of how to start it without a.) sounding stupid or b.) exceeding the line limit for thread titles.

//S

Vintage Vibe and SK both do, I think.

Don't mess with P90s.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Pepi

I'm not sure but I would think that it may be a bit bright. Most Strats are Alder, Ash or basswood and a P90 is a crisp pup. I think the P90s sound great with a mahogany body guitar.

Actually, they sound really fat and bluesy in alder. Between the midrange of the P-90 and the fat, middy sound of the alder, it's a pretty fat tone. Add the trem springs for a little sponginess and it is a damn sweet blues guitar.

-Y.

• Members

No worries. I was thinking about starting a thread entitled "Does anyone make a single-coiled sized P90?" but I can't think of how to start it without a.) sounding stupid or b.) exceeding the line limit for thread titles.

//S

Shocker, you're weclome to use my corrected version-- "Does any make a conventional (or "regular"?) SC-sized P90?" :p;)

I just can't remember who makes them-- but I just saw them recently--
PaulS

• Members
Originally posted by jjpistols

Don't mess with Texas, Shocker
;)

Seriously, possibly the best thing about Texas is that you actually have signs that say "Don't Mess With Texas" up all over the place.

//S

• Members

Vintage Vibe and SK both do, I think.

Don't mess with P90s.

There is also the Fralin 42's and 43's.

But for me the wide windings of the P-90 is part of their character. That's where the extra midrange complexity comes from.

-Y.

• Members

Seriously, possibly the best thing about Texas is that you actually have signs that say "Don't Mess With Texas" up all over the place.

//S

Just a friendly reminder that you've crossed into a land of bad men and rattlesnakes. :D

• Members

Just a friendly reminder that you've crossed into a land of bad men and rattlesnakes.

Yeah yeah. It's the only thing keeping me from advocating selling Texas back to Mexico. Or the French.

That's right, you heard me. ;)

//S

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

I'm surprised Texas HAS a punk scene.
:o

Why? The Sex Pistols and Ramones played here very early on. The Clash filmed part of "Rock the Casbah" video at the bar next door to my house.

Austin, Houston, SanAntone, and Dallas all have their historic heroes, and there are active scenes in all the cities, and many smaller towns. Lower Class Brats have done pretty well around the world for the last 10 years.

Pharr, Beaumont, Corpus Christie, San Marcos, and Seguin are all great places to play, with awesome and devoted crowds. And there are a ton of young up and coming bands from all over the state.

If you're interested, check out some of the bands on our myspace page like Krum Bums, Lost City Souls and Complete Control, as well as my 2 bands, The Bricks and Black Star Brigade.

If your just {censored}in with me, then don't mess with Texas. I'll come up there and steal the Stanley Cup! :D

• Members

//S

Oh- and one more: SK Guitar Specialties http://mywebpages.comcast.net/skgs/sk/Index.htm

Have heard only great things about Steve's pickups.

PaulS

• Members
Originally posted by Wyatt

But for me the wide windings of the P-90 is part of their character. That's where the extra midrange complexity comes from.

-Y.

I played a Fralin equipped strat and it sounded pretty good :)

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

-Y.

Totally agree about the mids. That's what even my wife's untrained ear hears. She noticed how nicely my P90 Strat cuts now-- but in a smooth and pleasant way.

I play an oldie-- Billy Squier's "Lonely is the Night". I played on the bridge position and damn, it was so sweet. I normally play that song on my Teles, but it's just too sweet with the P90s now. With the Teles, I usually have to roll back the tone a bit.

PaulS

• Members
Originally posted by PaulSter

See my post on the Strat P-90 conversion I just finished. I respectfully disagree with the last post. It's definitely smoother and fatter than a (edit: regular/typical) SC. Of course, the actual P90 you choose will make a difference too.

In my case- it sounds fantastic. It's not as bright as when I had MIA stock, Carvin AP22, or Fender Fat 50's in there. Just be sure to wire a tone control to it, and you're cookin' with grease!

PaulS

As I said, I don't really know. I'm glad to know that P90s do sound good in the brighter tone woods. I do know I had a set in a SG that were killer. I'm thinking about getting a set for my Agile SG copy. I'm a single coil freak anymore :)

• Members

How do P90's sound in a 'strat???

Balanced and hot, very lively and resonant, crank it up and they growl, and you can go from piercing leads to smooth fat rhythm..

Makes the FAT 50's, Texas Specials, etc., I have in other 'strats seem almost anemic in comparison. :cool:

peaveyp9013.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

How do P90's sound in a 'strat???

Balanced and hot, very lively and resonant, crank it up and they growl, and you can go from piercing leads to smooth fat rhythm..

Makes the FAT 50's, Texas Specials, etc., I have in other 'strats seem almost anemic in comparison.
:cool:

peaveyp9013.jpg

man ! I may have to do this ! :cool:

• Members

Just askin: Is there any kind of pickup (P90, strat sc, tele sc, humbucker, etc) that doesn't sound good in some configuration in every wood?

Hey JJ: My cousin's in a band in Beaumont, actually. I hung out with some of them before I knew how to play, went to one of their jam sessions (With a bunch of local bands). Very impressive bunch of guys and gals out there (though I don't know why they'd stay in Beaumont. ;) ).

//S

Archived