No announcement yet.

How does a P90 sound in a Strat ?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a P90 sound in a Strat ?

I am at the point of deciding whether or not to stuff a P90 or a humbucker into the bridge position of a Strat I am messing around with ......

I imagine it would sound pretty good ......

I'm not sure but I would think that it may be a bit bright. Most Strats are Alder, Ash or basswood and a P90 is a crisp pup. I think the P90s sound great with a mahogany body guitar.
    MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

See my post on the Strat P-90 conversion I just finished. I respectfully disagree with the last post. It's definitely smoother and fatter than a (edit: regular/typical) SC. Of course, the actual P90 you choose will make a difference too.

In my case- it sounds fantastic. It's not as bright as when I had MIA stock, Carvin AP22, or Fender Fat 50's in there. Just be sure to wire a tone control to it, and you're cookin' with grease!

PaulS
      "Deep in the heart of Texas"
      An actual HCGF member since '97, but had to re-register.

Comment

Watch yourself there. Someone will have to point out that a P90 is a single coil, Paul.

Won't be me though.

//S
        Playing lite rock and eeeasy listening in the Mazi Bee KICK ASS Militia.

Comment

Don't mess with Texas, Shocker
          Hey, Cancer! **************** You!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker
            Watch yourself there. Someone will have to point out that a P90 is a single coil, Paul.

Won't be me though.

//S
            Good catch. A typo I blame on my Dos Equis. Okay-- here's what I meant to say-- "it's not as bright as a conventional SC."

PaulS

Comment

Originally posted by jjpistols
              LOL! I got your back too bro!

PaulS

Comment

Originally posted by PaulSter
                Good catch. A typo I blame on my Dos Equis. Okay-- here's what I meant to say-- "it's not as bright as a conventional SC."

PaulS

No worries. I was thinking about starting a thread entitled "Does anyone make a single-coiled sized P90?" but I can't think of how to start it without a.) sounding stupid or b.) exceeding the line limit for thread titles.

//S

Comment

No worries. I was thinking about starting a thread entitled "Does anyone make a single-coiled sized P90?" but I can't think of how to start it without a.) sounding stupid or b.) exceeding the line limit for thread titles.

//S

Vintage Vibe and SK both do, I think.

Don't mess with P90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepi
                    I'm not sure but I would think that it may be a bit bright. Most Strats are Alder, Ash or basswood and a P90 is a crisp pup. I think the P90s sound great with a mahogany body guitar.

Actually, they sound really fat and bluesy in alder. Between the midrange of the P-90 and the fat, middy sound of the alder, it's a pretty fat tone. Add the trem springs for a little sponginess and it is a damn sweet blues guitar.

-Y.

Comment

//S
                      Shocker, you're weclome to use my corrected version-- "Does any make a conventional (or "regular"?) SC-sized P90?"

I just can't remember who makes them-- but I just saw them recently--
                      PaulS

Comment

Seriously, possibly the best thing about Texas is that you actually have signs that say "Don't Mess With Texas" up all over the place.

//S

Comment

Vintage Vibe and SK both do, I think.

Don't mess with P90s.

There is also the Fralin 42's and 43's.

But for me the wide windings of the P-90 is part of their character. That's where the extra midrange complexity comes from.

-Y.

Comment

Seriously, possibly the best thing about Texas is that you actually have signs that say "Don't Mess With Texas" up all over the place.

//S

Just a friendly reminder that you've crossed into a land of bad men and rattlesnakes.

Comment

Just a friendly reminder that you've crossed into a land of bad men and rattlesnakes.

Yeah yeah. It's the only thing keeping me from advocating selling Texas back to Mexico. Or the French.

That's right, you heard me.

//S

Comment

Working...
                              X