"Second" on Gibson Les Paul headstock

Jeroen

• Members

Originally posted by Richard Guy

Nothing to worry about. The 'second' designation, in most cases, is due to finish blems.

Yep, usually purely cosmetic imperfections that can be had cheap. But an Artisan? Say it ain't so, Joe! I've been horny for an Artisan for a long time, dig that inlay. But the last ones I saw used were too friggin' expensive and had some serious mileage on them.

I've got an '86 Deluce Goldtop that has "sec" on the back of the headstock. It's perfect, except for a small dark spot about the size of a dime near the input jack. Plays and sounds fine. Paid $1000 for it about 15 years ago.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeroen

Well, I ended up buying the Artisan! (see other thread for pics:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=934993
)

Can't see why it's a second, but since it's over 25 years old, the number of cosmetic imperfections has risen significantly
;)

I wouldn't hesitate buying a Gibson second (I think they were mostly sold to Gibson employees). But I would buy it armed with the knowledge that it's resale value is compromised.

I doubt that Gibson is still doing this-it tends to delute they're exclusivity.

I know Fender (USA) no longer does this, if a problem can't be repaired or replaced to meet QC guidelines, the guitar goes into an industrial wood chipper.

An Artisian second is a bit ironic.

• Members

I know a guy who's a distributor for seconds from Epi, Ibanez, Squier, Jay Turser, etc. He doesn't get anything from Gibson becasue they don't release their Seconds anymore.

Interestingly, this guy sells mostly to pawn shops and online retailers - one of the reasons I would always ask someone selling online if the item is a second. Some manufacturers just put a 2 on the back rather than the word second.

Like most have said, usually it's a cosmetic blemish, but sometimes it's something more.

• Members

The general view is that most Gibson "seconds" were marked that way because of finish flaws,sometimes very hard to spot,and that the concept loses any meaning for a used instrument.Its possible sometimes when Gibson needed to move product that stamping a big ugly "second" on the back of the headstock allowed a bigger discount to dealers and a tax writeoff moving some slow-selling product out the door and bringing in some income.

The "second" or "2" denoting finish flaws was the way the rep explained it when I was working MI retail.There was another category-the "BGN" marked guitar which had more serious flaws and pretty much should be avoided.While some claim they never went to dealers I know personally that some did.

• Members

I have a 1976 SG that's a second. I can't find anything wrong with it, and had it checked by a dealer I know and he couldn't find anything on it either. It's just about the best playing guitar I've ever had. So as long as you can play it first, or the place has a return policy, it's probably worth checking it out...

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I WAS IN Nashville when they were shredding all the guitars that were in the flood . I cried that day when a beautiful L5, $20000 dollar guitar was shredded. If you could have seen all them beautiful guitars that with a little bleach could have been fixed and played .

• Members
There is never a "second" on a American Gibson guitar ' date='maybe on a Chinese epiphone ... [/quote']

I'm sure I wasn't hallucinating when I saw a few *real* US-made Gibsons in the past with the word "Second" stamped on the back of the headstock.

• Moderators
After Henry J and company bought Gibson they theoretically stopped the sale of factory seconds.

Indeed, "theoretically", but they also boxed clever. My R7 started out life on it's way to being an R9, but after carving the top there was a blemish in the figure, so it got to become an R7 and I got an 8lb 6oz R7.

• Members
I WAS IN Nashville when they were shredding all the guitars that were in the flood . I cried that day when a beautiful L5' date=' $20000 dollar guitar was shredded. If you could have seen all them beautiful guitars that with a little bleach could have been fixed and played .[/quote']

I believe the guitars you are talking about floated around in water inside the factory for more than a week. A finished or partially finished product like that will be irreversibly damaged from contact with water for that long. Maybe the scratchplates, knobs, and/or certain other plastic parts survived -- maybe.

On a related note: Absolutely none of the beautiful-when-seen-in-person Gibson Anniversary Flood LP Studio guitars were ever touched by floodwater. :cool11:

Gibson-USA-Anniversary-Flood-Les-Paul-Studio3.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_H71145.002_green_swirl_R.jpg

Archived