Pre-Mem Day Sale steal at GC

blind radish

• Members

Read a thread recently about bargaining with the guys at GC

so today I was at the GC in manchester CT (my wife was down the shopping center at another store.)

I had planned to visit on Monday, but since I was in the area anyway ... I went in with my kids to kill time.

I spied a used 2004 American Deluxe Stratocater, 50th Anniversary, S-1 Switching, abalone dot inlays, knife-edge trem, and locking tuners IN Mahogany ... YES you read right, Mahogany.

So one of the GC dudes comes up, while I'm jamming away and says ...

This is a NICE guitar ... you interested.

I told him I had planned to swing by on Monday but .... blah blah blah

The price tag says $850 ... DEAD MINT .. still has the plastic on the front and back.

I go blah blah, he goes blah blah ... I say $600 ... knowning he'll go and come back and say no way.

he does

"I checked, We bought it for $725 .. he says." I say OK he walks away holding the nicest strat I have played in a long time.

Floor boss comes up to me ... says " You want that guitar"

I said "yeah, but ... My price is too low."

"you gonna buy today?"

"For $600, I'll buy right this minute."

I follow him to the register where he does the Voodoo ... says $625 is the best he can do ... I kinda look at my feet like you know ...

he says, "It's the deal of the weekend and includes case, case candy , monster cable, strap locks .... the whole works

I amex it

and now it's mine ... I don't think I need to go back on Monday to see if there are any deals ... whaddya you guys think?

mah-strat.jpg

• Members

Yeah, I know what you mean ...

this is a bit more full body-sounding than an alder or ash body strat, but I have two of the 60 RIs and an 89 MIJ strat ... so I got the original strat tone covered.

I really like the tone of this strat ... through my VOX valvetronix on the AC 30 model ... I raises the roof.

• Members

had the guitar two days, and have had two offers already. It's a keeper ... just need a name for her.

Maybe Peggy, like my red-headed girlfriend in college ... of course, she was not a keeper but she was like Louie Armstrong in the sack

• Members

Originally posted by blind radish

"I checked, We bought it for $725 .. "

mah-strat.jpg

ha. yeah right.

they probably took it in at 500 tops, and you bargined em down as low as they'd go before they didn't make any commision at all.

still, nice ax.

• Members

I think you discovered the magic secret of bargaining. Tell them your rock bottom price and be prepared to walk if they won't meet it (or at least come darn close).

Reminds me of when someone asks how much the band charges for gigs.

I tell them to call the business manager.

They insist I give them a price.

I tell them, "Twelve thousand dollars".

They scream, "That's too much!"

I retort, "So call the damn business manager!"

• Members

That's a great deal. It's not an official 50th Anniversary model though it has the neckplate (all Strats made in '04 have the commemorative 50th Anniversary neckplate) but that is a killer price. You are already right-side up with that Strat.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Nice score, have fun sith it!

I've been dealing with the same GC for 2 years now and only deal with 2 salesman there. When I walk in they give me the best deal every single flippin time. I don't even ask anymore, if i want something, they go into the back office and come out with a price that is almost impossible to turn down. Saved 1000s of dollars over the past couple of years and avoided the holliday rushes to boot ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my main sales guy flat out told me he could beat any holliday extraviganza sales any day of the week. These sales days are nothing more than a promo tactic to get you into their stores.

• Members

My visit to GC this morning was good and bad.

Got there early and checked what they had on sale. Really didn't plan on spending much. Maybe a blow out on an epi or something. Some decent sale prices but nothing that said take me home.

Outside having free coffee and donuts. Start talking to a Sales guy- tells me if it not on sale he will put on sale! OOOOOOO!

So I go back in and start playing the nicer selection. Two appeal to me. A Gibson 61 reissue SG and a Gretch Brian Setzer 6120 Signature model. Problem is it is still a lot of cash.

Decided it is still too much to spend so just enjoying playing through a small tube amp. Salesman asks me to put together a deal. I'm thinking I'll just low ball and he will work with someone else. I tell him $2900. for both on them!

Three guys have a mini sales meeting. They come back and say they need to make something on these guitars and offer $3250 and no case for the Gretch. Politely decline.

Still fooling around and now free hot dogs outside. Have dog for brunch. They come back and say they will throw in the Gretch case. Politely decline and say $2900. for both with cases and case candy.

Finally, I feel I have abused thier free food and guitar wankering long enough. I politely say good bye and thank for letting me try out the guitars.

They dropped and did it $2900 for both!!!!

So the good is - think this is one hell of a deal.

The bad is - didn't plan on spending that type of scratch.

Time to sell some of other guitars. So I'll be posting for sale 335 Epi Elite, Agile original horn with duncans, Dearmond M77 and a Yamaha classical real soon.

Archived