GFS P90 pickups

syrinx

• Members

Word is that they're good for the money, but have a somewhat different tonal characteristic.

People seem to give very mixed reviews about the Phat Cats too.

There's always the Gibson P94's as well.

But don't forget about Vintage Vibe Guitars. I just ordered a custom wound set of humbucker sized P90's from Pete Biltoft. He charged me $105 for the set, and he made them with Alnico V magnets. He also included 4 ceramic magnets and instructions on how to swap them without charging me an extra dime. He started working on them as soon as I made the payment, shot me an e-mail with postal info when he sent them out, and got them here quick. Super nice guy and very professional, considering he has a day job and does guitar work as a hobby.

"Pete has a degree with honors in Chemistry, and Metallurgy from Georgia Tech. He lives, and works in northern California, Pete works his day job for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, he is an engineer working on the worlds biggest, and most powerful Laser".

That's a crazy deal for a hand wound set of pickups. I'll throw the shameless plug for him.

• Members

I have them in a 'Strat..

Very, very nice tone, and you can go from piercing leads to smooth rhythm..

Of course you would get a slightly 'warmer' tone in a mahogany bodied guitar, but in a 'strat (with brighter tone wood) they will handle just about anything.

peaveyp9013.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

I have them in a 'Strat..

Very, very nice tone, and you can go from piercing leads to smooth rhythm..

Of course you would get a slightly 'warmer' tone in a mahogany bodied guitar, but in a 'strat (with brighter tone wood) they will handle just about anything.

peaveyp9013.jpg

That's a sweet guitar...............:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by syrinx

that is cool- and very fenderish to have the front and back pup different colors! the black one comps the knobs and the pearl comps the guard- good choice/luck!

Actually both pup covers are black, I think it's just the reflection that makes one of them appear to 'black pearl'.

The P90 'strat is a real player, but I've found that I don't use it all that often. I play in "clean mode" most of the time, so the regular single-coil 'strats and 'teles get most of the playing time.

I'll probably end up selling it (at a loss no doubt) to someone that needs the P90 Crunch.. :cool:

• Members

I put a set of the GFS P90's in an Agile LP 2500.

I thought they were fantastic, quality built pups for the money. The tone wasn't for me, as they were a little bit lower output than i like, but they had fabulous warmth and single string clarity on chords.

Definitely more of a vintage vibe than a modern one, but I guess that's what you want in P90's anyway.

• Members

I have the Dream 90 (hb sized) in the bridge of my cheap Ibanez. I can't get enough of that bite. Sure, it hums a bit, but after all, it's a single coil. The clarity of chords and the overall springiness almost gives it a Strat-esque character. Sounds pretty hot with distortion as well.

Archived