Gremlin guitars??

• Members

Has anyone out there ever heard of Gremlin guitars? I saw one at a pawn shop for $50.00 nice shape, neck wasn't warped, good action and a whammy bar to boot so I picked it up thinking it would be a cool starter guitar for my 9 yr old nephew...

I went home and plugged it into a distortion pedal & into a channel on my Yorkville MP8DX powered mixer and the thing just sounded bad a$$ heavy...grungy & heavy, much more then I ever would of imagined for a $50.00 mystery guitar.

• Members

Yes, another gremlin exists!! My drummer plays guitar a bit and he has a gremlin. We actually use the term to describe killer guitars. Obviously it's not a high grade guitar but a great beginner. His gremlin has withstood many a drunken air-jam:D

• Members

Gremlins were around until a couple of years ago. It was a house brand of Midco International, a large midwest music distributor. They were mostly downsized instruments for beginners, but some full sized instruments were around. They phased out the Gremlin name in favor of their newer J Reynolds brand. We were still getting Gremlin branded ukes at the store up until I left last year. Midco was purchased by Musicorp about 1-1/2 years ago, and are now the home of all of your favorite off brands like, Arbor, J Reynolds, JB Player, Amigo, lauren, etc.

The Gremlins were very entry level, and some actually were o.k., but many were pretty poor in quality. Even the little kids didnt want a guitar called a Gremlin......

• 14 years later...
  • Members

Hi , I purchased a black gremlin g3r electric guitar awhile back I restored it apple red . This guitar is a fine instrument in building components and excellent playability .it is a little bit smaller than a Stratocaster at 37.5”  I wear a strap to hold it while I stand or sit . It’s small body seems to stay put better with a strap. I would not be afraid to purchase one up to 200$ it is built and plays that well .

• 1 year later...
  • Members

My first guitar way back in 1988 was a Gremlin. I was playing it one day, and accidentally hit it on the corner of my dresser. It must’ve caught it just right, because it knocked the corner of the headstock off where the tuner for the 6th string was. The guy at my local shop fixed it with some epoxy, and it made it another 6 months or so. After that, I got a BC Rich Warlock, and ended up taking the Gremlin apart to learn about wiring and what not. I will always remember my Gremlin fondly!

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators
12 hours ago, Robert C Denton sr said:

I just bought my special needs daughter a gremlin gc10  acustable guitar with regular 6 medal strings to learn how to play . Is this a good guitar ? It sounds good to me .

The only opinion that matters is your daughter's. If she likes the guitar, then it must be 'good'. There are certainly better guitars out in the world, but we all had to start somewhere.