Hohner Les Paul - ANY IDEAS?

incurab1e

• Members

Hey hey,

A fried of mine has aquired an old knackered hohner les paul - the finish has been changed and generally its a bit knackered (someone SANDED THE FRETS DOWN!!!)

Anywho, a pic is attahed, i have more if you need them. Can anyone identify? Or tell me where i can trace the serial number?

Many thanks

• Members

Its pretty hard to find info on these guitars. I have one (see attached pic). Great guitars especially since they are cheap.

Mine has no serial no on the headstock but has a serial no on the control cavity plastic cover. Mine is the L59 model (which I assume is supposed to be based on a 59 Les Paul).

I've also played a Hohner L90 which is a Les Paul Gold Top copy with p90s. This guitar was awesome too.

Does yours have any writing on the truss rod cover? That is where mine has L59 written on it.

So sorry I can't help with any more info than this. I've looked and come up empty, no one seems to know much about these. I'm pretty sure they were only made for a brief time in the eighties.

My advice is to refret it. Great guitars.

• Members

Nice guitar Pengrin! Do you play it much?

The L90 really catches my eye. I'd love to have one of those.

From what I've gathered the professional series were first made in Great Britain then production moved to Korea. I don't know anything about looking up serial numbers or anything.

• Members

WOAAAH! That IS a nice guitar :-)

Yeah , i reckon its gonna ge re-fretted, rebound, and may well have the inlays done, as it seems whoever had it before has replaced what was in there for PLASTIC. Not very well done either.

It has a serial no on the back of the headstock (see attached pic), The truss rod cover is not there so no info on that. I may well have to buy this off the owner once its fixed - I don't reckon i'll ever afford a gibson - this may well be adequate, it sounds lovely :-)

Penguin - how does yours compare to the real thing?

• Members

Thanks for the compliments on my guitar. It was the second electric I ever bought. At the time I bought it as I wanted an LP but couldn't afford a Gibson. OVer time I have come to realise how good a guitar it is.

Compared to a Gibson I actually prefer mine. Not because of quality (I think Gibsons have slightly better quality) but because of the differences between a true LP and mine. Firstly the body is slightly thinner than a Gibby, not by much but it feels more comfortable to me. Mine has binding front and back on the body which I think looks great. Also the archtop on mine is not a solid top. It is flame maple but there is a hollow between the maple cap and the mahogony body. I like to think this helps with resonance and blah, blah, blah. I have no proof of this, just something I like to think.

It weighs a ton too, its far heavier than any guitar I have ever played. This seems to always put the neck in the perfect playing position when strapped on.

In short, its probably the best guitar I've ever played. I added the Bigsby since I really wanted a Bigsby at one stage. I think LPs with Bigsby's look fantastic. It also now has Kent Armstrong humbucker sized P90 pickups. These sound awesome.

When I bought it, it had zebra humbuckers. THe sales guy told me they were Duncans, which at the time I believed but later realised he was full of {censored}. They weren't the best sounding pickups. I tried many pickups in this guitar but liked the P90s in it best. Best balance of good sounding clean and dirty sounds.

If you ever find one, buy it. I tried to buy an L90 of a guy I knew, bastard knew what I knew about them (that they are great) so he wouldn't sell it.

• Members

Originally posted by Pengrin

Also the archtop on mine is not a solid top. It is flame maple but there is a hollow between the maple cap and the mahogony body.

This was common practice for a long time (could still be) on budget LP copies as it meant that a flat ply-piece could be used for the top and bent, not requiring carving out like a solid cap does.

I think now most do have a solid cap carved from alder or similar with a maple veneer a la Epiphone instead (presumably advancements in CNCD have made this viable at the budget price point).

• Members

Originally posted by incurab1e

excellent, then i'll definately make sure i casn get a hold of this one once its done :-)

Out of interest, are bigsby's difficult/expensive to fit?

Bigsby's aren't too hard or expensive to fit. The biggest cost with mine was buying the Bigsby. You can leave the holes where the tailpiece fits but I had my luthier fill them. Its fairly simple to fit one if you don't care about the holes from the old tailpiece. Simply fit it and screw it on. Its really quite straight forward. Depending on where the tailpiece sits on the guitar, you might have to remove the tailpiece bushes if they interfere with where the Bigsby sits.

• Members

Nice, cheerz.

I've never used a bigsby - how much play do they give you? And wht is the tuning stabiity like?

Also, i am looking forward to playing some FILTH on thsi bad boy. Whiskey in the Jar is gonna be Oh So SWEET

• Members

Its pretty hard to find info on these guitars. I have one (see attached pic). Great guitars especially since they are cheap.

Mine has no serial no on the headstock but has a serial no on the control cavity plastic cover. Mine is the L59 model (which I assume is supposed to be based on a 59 Les Paul).

I've also played a Hohner L90 which is a Les Paul Gold Top copy with p90s. This guitar was awesome too.

Does yours have any writing on the truss rod cover? That is where mine has L59 written on it.

So sorry I can't help with any more info than this. I've looked and come up empty, no one seems to know much about these. I'm pretty sure they were only made for a brief time in the eighties.

My advice is to refret it. Great guitars.

:eek: Pengrin it looks like its the original plastic nut, mine worned out after one year.

lp.jpg

it's my first guitar, I bought it 11 years ago and it's still my main axe...it really needs a fret job :(

I'm too lazy to take new pics; I replaced the EMG with the original HB and I also put the pickguard back.

I'm addicted to its thin D-shape neck :mad:

• Members

Bonus points to anyone who can find this picture somewhere:

In Guitar Player magazine years back they had a story about Ace Frehley (or his influence on guitar players etc...) anywho.... they had a picture of a couple guitarists in Kiss paint holding "Ace" type Lesters. And Dimebag Darrell was holding a Hohner. No {censored}!

If anyone can find that pic. They will be hailed as Kind of this thread forever!!!!!

• Members

Hey Knox in a Box. I think I have that picture!!!!! I will look for it on the weekend in my stash of magazines. If I can find it I will scan it and post it.

Then You shall Rule all creation!!!!!!!

At least for this thread...:cool:

• Members

Ok, Knox in a Box, time to worship me for I am god of this thread. These pictures came from a Guitar World Legends tribute to Kiss magazine.

I found these on the weekend and since I don't have a scanner handy I just used my digital camera. They came out ok.

So bow down and kiss my feet!!!!!

• Members

Yes, you get a big pat on the back for remembering that picture. I had never noticed before that it was a Hohner LP. Well done.

I'll check the date on that publication tonight. There are lots of old photos in that magazine so unless there is a date on that pic, it will be hard to guess what year it was from.

Archived