What is a REAL good string brand for electric?

mad axe man

• Members

I have been using GHS boomers(cost me $3 a pack) and am NOT happy with them at all.

what is a string brand that has warmth,but still is powerful, and clear and great intonation?

I will be using a very presence toned pup n my guitar(EMG 81) and may need pure nickle wrap strings?

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

You're going to get a slew of responses with a slew of opinions; ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself.

I use DR or D'Addarrios...hate GHS, Ernie Ball, & Fender strings. JMO, YMMV.

~Blackbelt

the D'addario's are also only $3 a pack are they warmer/better than the GHS boomers?

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I love boomers myself.

really?

well so so does zakk wylde,lamb of god and a gazilion other great players but DAMN i have no luck with em:confused:

they sound very brightand brittle?

and dont last long at all for me:(

• Members

I 've heard that everybody has fairly unique 'finger chemistry' - we all leave different types of acid and dirt on our strings.

Apparently this is why different strings last different amounts of time for different people.

I don't know how true this is...

Anyway, personally I find Ernie Ball strings to be complete rust-magnets, whereas D'addario XLs last a long time and I like their tone.

• Members

I use Elixirs, primarily. At present I'm working through that free set of Cleartones. At first, they sounded absolutely dead and they even junked with my intonation a bit. I gave them some time to settle in and now they sound alright. They're not as smooth/slippery as a good set of Elixirs, though.

-Alec

np: Neurosis - Souls at Zero

• Members

Originally posted by jackson soloist usa

really?

well so so does zakk wylde,lamb of god and a gazilion other great players but DAMN i have no luck with em:confused:

they sound very brightand brittle?

and dont last long at all for me:(

I was at my local shop the other day and was discussing that very issue with one of the shop guys. He said that depending on your body chemistry different string brands will last longer for different people. For me the boomers last a long time for me but in the last year I have had a lot of them break on me so I switched to Ernie balls, the Ernie Balls don't seem to break and don't require a ton of stretching like the GHS but I notice they corrode for me more. A friend recommended a brand called Live wires out of Canada but I can't seem to find them. He said they sound awesome, require little to no stretching and never break. He did say they were a little more expensive but worth it. I'm trying to find some to try out.

• Members

I've used Boomers for about 15 years now. In that time, I've broken exactly one string. I change them fairly often. I live in Florida (sweat a lot), play 4 hour gigs and don't like strings that don't feel new, which may have something to do with it.

Elixers feel kind of waxy to me. I tried Ernie Balls and Fenders many years ago but had breaking troubles with them.

Are you sure the bright and brittle sound is the strings?

• Members

Originally posted by Codmate

Anyway, personally I find Ernie Ball strings to be complete rust-magnets, whereas D'addario XLs last a long time and I like their tone.

I found exactly the same thing. I have a real problem with plain strings rusting up and feeling sticky. With D'Addario XLs, I tend to get about a gig's-worth or around three days playing in the house before the strings develop black sticky patches between the frets.

Recently, thought I'd try Ernie

• Members

I like the pink pack EB slinkys, sometimes i get the orange ones. 009-46 i like the way nickel wrap sounds.

Labella double ball is the double ball favorite if my steinie dont have a string adaptor.

GHS are good in a pinch if walmat has em but they are way to brite for me. They even say on the back they are one click under the brightest string made.

• Members

Strings are strings but there is definately a sound difference!

I also prefer GHS Boomers on my LP BECAUSE they are bright......they just sound lively to me. However, they do seem to not last a long time.

So far I have tried GHS Boomers, EB Regular slinkys and Fenders (all .10-.46) and I like the boomers best.

Archived