Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a REAL good string brand for electric?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a REAL good string brand for electric?

I have been using GHS boomers(cost me $3 a pack) and am NOT happy with them at all.
    what is a string brand that has warmth,but still is powerful, and clear and great intonation?
    I will be using a very presence toned pup n my guitar(EMG 81) and may need pure nickle wrap strings?

DR Handmade. I use the "Tite-Fit" (.10's) and love them.

Comment

You're going to get a slew of responses with a slew of opinions; ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself.

I use DR or D'Addarrios...hate GHS, Ernie Ball, & Fender strings. JMO, YMMV.

~Blackbelt

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt
        DR Handmade. I use the "Tite-Fit" (.10's) and love them.

I have heard good things about these

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbelt1
          You're going to get a slew of responses with a slew of opinions; ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself.

I use DR or D'Addarrios...hate GHS, Ernie Ball, & Fender strings. JMO, YMMV.

~Blackbelt

the D'addario's are also only $3 a pack are they warmer/better than the GHS boomers?

Comment

I love boomers myself.

Comment

Originally posted by GCDEF
              I love boomers myself.

really?
              well so so does zakk wylde,lamb of god and a gazilion other great players but DAMN i have no luck with em
              they sound very brightand brittle?
              and dont last long at all for me

Comment

I'm a big fan of GHS Boomers, myself.

I also don't think there's really much difference between strings of the same composition. To each his own, though.
                Gibson LP Standard
                ESP Eclipse II
                PRS CE24
                Ibanez RG 1570 (Dimarzio PAF Pro/Fred)
                Fender American Vintage 57 Strat

FOR SALE:
                Boss PW-10 V-Wah - $100
                Seymour Duncan JB/59 Zebra Set - $100
                Alesis Audiowerk 8 - $50
                Yamaha MT-4X 4-track - $150
                Yamaha MU80 MIDI Tone Generator

Comment

I 've heard that everybody has fairly unique 'finger chemistry' - we all leave different types of acid and dirt on our strings.

Apparently this is why different strings last different amounts of time for different people.

I don't know how true this is...

Anyway, personally I find Ernie Ball strings to be complete rust-magnets, whereas D'addario XLs last a long time and I like their tone.
                  http://www.myspace.com/smokehand

Comment

Originally posted by Codmate

Anyway, personally I find Ernie Ball strings to be complete rust-magnets

you,me and many,many others have found this with EB

Comment

Everyone has their own prefs...buy several different brands at a time and see which brand you like best.
                      spam:
                      GFS Classic Alnico Tele neck pickup - $15
                      GFC Classic Alnico 62 Tele bridge pickup - $15
                      Trade offers welcome

Comment

For crisper tones, DR Tite fit.

For warmer rounder tones, DR pure blues.

For twangy, spikey, probing tones (esp with a strat) D'addario XLs.
                        http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

http://photoxon.blogspot.co.uk/ My photography blog

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

I use Elixirs, primarily. At present I'm working through that free set of Cleartones. At first, they sounded absolutely dead and they even junked with my intonation a bit. I gave them some time to settle in and now they sound alright. They're not as smooth/slippery as a good set of Elixirs, though.

-Alec

np: Neurosis - Souls at Zero
                          "I remain just one thing, and one thing only, and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician."
                          -Sir Charles Chaplin

Comment

Thomastik Infeld Powerbright's for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson soloist usa

really?
                              well so so does zakk wylde,lamb of god and a gazilion other great players but DAMN i have no luck with em
                              they sound very brightand brittle?
                              and dont last long at all for me

I was at my local shop the other day and was discussing that very issue with one of the shop guys. He said that depending on your body chemistry different string brands will last longer for different people. For me the boomers last a long time for me but in the last year I have had a lot of them break on me so I switched to Ernie balls, the Ernie Balls don't seem to break and don't require a ton of stretching like the GHS but I notice they corrode for me more. A friend recommended a brand called Live wires out of Canada but I can't seem to find them. He said they sound awesome, require little to no stretching and never break. He did say they were a little more expensive but worth it. I'm trying to find some to try out.
                              my clips: www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio-JSXJCM800

My fingers, PRS and Taylor guitars, Budda, Fryette and Orange amps, Genz Benz cabs, Line6 effects and wireless, various dirt and fuzz boxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X