GAS for an all tube combo

AunShui

• Members

Some might diagree, but the best small combo I've owned was a Pignose G60VR. I put a Celestion GT12-75 in there and it sounded amazing. Good cleans and good distortion. All around great, cheap small combo.

• Members

Laney AOR series. You can get a 50 watt tube with a sealed 1x12 cab. It's big and heavy, but tough for the road. I was going to sell mine for $400, but it's so big and heavy it would be too much of a pain to ship.

The circuit of these old Laney's is that of a hot rodded Marshall.

• Members

Agree about the Marshall. Not one of their better efforts. The others are single channel non-master amps, so if you want distortion, they're going to be pretty loud.

The Traynor mentioned is a good choice, as are Peavey Classics and Crate Club series if you want better control over distortion and volume.

• Members
Originally posted by AunShui

Hey everyone.

I've been GAS'ing for a new all tube combo amp for under one grand. Ive done some homework, and have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities:

1. Vox AC30CC1 30W 1x12 Custom Classic Combo

2. Fender

• Members

I agree with the others about dropping that Marshall DSL off the list. If you want to look at a Marshall option, consider finding an early 80's JCM800 single channel in a combo amp version. They made a 1x12 and a 2x12.

• Members

I might be interested in selling my JTM60 1x12 combo. Thinking about picking up a used 4102 JCM900, gonna go check it out tonight. If I get it, the JTM60 will go up for sale. We're both in NJ, maybe you could pick it up & save on the shipping. I'd want $550 for it, I've already done the fan mod to it so no overheating issues, and retubed it with Rubys. Here's a pic:

• Members

I have a Carvin Bel Air that has an awesome clean channel and the drive channell is allright for classic rock stock. I had some mods done to it that make it really cook. Look over at the carvin discussion board and put in hasserl bel air to learn about the mods. I would also look into the Carvin MTS it has alot of flexibility from what I have heard.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Reverend Kingsnake?

Not a bad suggestion, but I did get an e-mail from Reverend saying that they are getting out of the amp business, discontinuing sales of amp products to focus on guitars. If you want one, get it now.

• Members

Originally posted by vexed73

I have a Carvin Bel Air that has an awesome clean channel and the drive channell is allright for classic rock stock. I had some mods done to it that make it really cook. Look over at the carvin discussion board and put in hasserl bel air to learn about the mods. I would also look into the Carvin MTS it has alot of flexibility from what I have heard.

All I've done to it is replace the Sovteks with JJs. That really improved the drive channel.

The amp's in great condition, I bought a Bassman and don't need the BelAir anymore.

• Members

The reverend kingsnake is a great suggestion. You can probably find a reverend hellound (discontinued) even cheaper. I'm absolutely in love with my hellhound, hands down my favorite relativly small tube combo I've owned. It can spank and twang like country, it can growl like jimmy, it can chime like ACDC. And it takes pedals amazingly well.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies!

As I said, i still need to go to guitar center and test play everything, but thanks for informing me of possible problems with the vox and marshall amps. And to clarify, I don;t mind if the amp starts to distort at higher volumes, i mostly just need it to crank loud enough to hold up to a drummer and bassist. I think fender seems like the winner at the moment, and I was probably going to shy away from the marshall anyway for variety's sake (already have a marshall half stack), but vox still seems pretty cool. Ill report back after my excursion to the guitar center, and if theres anything else that i should play, feel free to let me know.

Archived