Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's The Purpose Of Putting Strings Over The Tailpiece On A LP?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's The Purpose Of Putting Strings Over The Tailpiece On A LP?

Duane Allman did this.
    Reasons?
    i have come to the conclusion that he is some form of god. no mere mortal has that many guitars/pedals/amp/anything. "It boggles my mind. His collection is the most glorious and true expression of GAS.To each his own though. Amazing collection of beauties. It takes some seriously messed up OCD to compile a collection like that.I hate BBreaker. Damn, I hate him.Suck it.We learned that bbreaker is some sort of god. A god of whine.fk this guy.

Can't believe you of all people askin this!

Don't Billy Gibbons and Zakk Wylde do this too?

I've heard sustain but i'm pretty sure its superstition.

Comment

Do a search. There are plenty posts on this.
      MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

less stress on the bridge.

suposed more sustain aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Fret Demon
          less stress on the bridge.

suposed more sustain aswell.

have bridges been breaking when strung normally?
          Originally posted by
          also, most pissed off, energetic drummer you're ever likely to see. his guitarist described it as "beating his way out of his mother's **** every time he plays"

Comment

i dont know about the other guys, but in guitar world zack wylde says he does it bc it prevents string breakage. id also imagine a little more sustain.
            Gear: Gibson SG Faded
            Fender Mexi Strat(sold)
            Cheap Crate electric
            Amps: Vox AD50VT Valvetronix combo
            Marshall MG30dfx
            Pedals: Boss DS-1, Digitech bad monkey
            SOON TO OWN Carvin ct4t

Comment

Originally posted by batotman
              Can't believe you of all people askin this!

Don't Billy Gibbons and Zakk Wylde do this too?

I've heard sustain but i'm pretty sure its superstition.

Why me??
              I'm smart.
              But not all knowing
              i have come to the conclusion that he is some form of god. no mere mortal has that many guitars/pedals/amp/anything. "It boggles my mind. His collection is the most glorious and true expression of GAS.To each his own though. Amazing collection of beauties. It takes some seriously messed up OCD to compile a collection like that.I hate BBreaker. Damn, I hate him.Suck it.We learned that bbreaker is some sort of god. A god of whine.fk this guy.

Comment

and strings dont break because of any angle.

they break cuz theyre rubbing on something.

on les pauls, its the sharp edge of the saddle. string breakage has nothing to do with string angles.
                Originally posted by
                also, most pissed off, energetic drummer you're ever likely to see. his guitarist described it as "beating his way out of his mother's **** every time he plays"

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bbreaker
                  Duane Allman did this.
                  Reasons?
                  [/QUOTE

It's been rumored to improve sustain (I can't tell it)...the main reason I do it on all my stoptail guitars is it makes the strings have a bit more of a "slinky" feel to me. I initially did it to check out the sustain theory, also on a particular LP I had at the time, the strings were touching the back side of the bridge. By lowering the tailpiece all the way down, and stringing over the top, I got the strings off the tailpiece (plus, I really like the way it gives my palm a place to rest!)

So basically for me, it's strictly taste and preference....pretty much like everthing.
                  Trooper 138, Harmony Central Geezer Brigade

Comment

To get the action lower, I would think as well.
                    - Sean.

Please note that all statements contained herein are OPINION and not FACT. Take all advice, opinions, and other statements expressed in this post for as much or as little as you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Europa760

have bridges been breaking when strung normally?

picture says all

Comment

Originally posted by Fret Demon

picture says all

Thanks.........I'll give it a go next time I restring one of my Les Pauls.

Comment

interesting. never thought of that middle picture.
                          Originally posted by

Comment

Those are nice pictures and all, but I just don't buy the increased sustain thing. The vibration from the strings gets transfered into the body of the guitar via the bridge, not the tailpiece.

To me this makes as much sense to me as the theory that a string-through body Tele has more sustain than one that's not string-through.

I really wish an engineer would come on here and put these myths to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by JimboJ
                              Those are nice pictures and all, but I just don't buy the increased sustain thing. The vibration from the strings gets transfered into the body of the guitar via the bridge, not the tailpiece.

To me this makes as much sense to me as the theory that a string-through body Tele has more sustain than one that's not string-through.

I really wish an engineer would come on here and put these myths to rest.

You're right about that...the sustain isn't lost by raising the tailpiece. That's a myth.

Comment

Working...
                              X