"Made in USA" How do you feel?

gibson185

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by gibson185

Today, guitars from Japan, Korea, even China can and are made very well, many as good as the American made ones. So what does that "Made in USA" mean to you? Still better quality or just more money?

means if there's a problem i can hop in the car and kick the guy that made it's ass

• Members

It all depends on the guitar. My Tokai Love Rock, a Japanese copy of a Les Paul Junior, is a very high quality guitar, on a par with just about anything I have seen comparable to it made in the US. In fact I dig it more than the production line Les Paul Junior.

My other guitars are made in the US. I bought a Heritage H-575 a couple weeks ago. I dig it quite a bit. And it was $1300, less than even the imports I tried out.

• Members

For me, USA = import :)

So I don't give a {censored}. Made in USA is NOT a mark of quality. It merely says that there is more chances that this thing is good than if it were made in China. I could go in the US tomorrow, build a guitar and it'd be made in USA. Would it be good? No.

I couldn't care less. USA, England, France, you name it, they all have the same wage rates and all make great guitars. It just so happens that most companies are based in the US.

• Members

To me made in the USA is not an assurance of quality necessarily in terms of tone, tuning stability or neck stability. But it is a pretty strong assurance of quality hardware, parts and electronics. Though Japan and Korea and others have come along way in quality assurance with the CNC machines etc., I have one Korean guitar that I've had some issues with. It had very soft fret-wire, and softer metal used on the screws which strip more easily. I have also seen many contemporary non- USA guitars with scratchy pots, cheap switches and controls that cut off abruptly before being fully turned.

• Members

People in the US are going to have a biased opinion because of the fact that at least 75% of the import guitars we receive in this country are in the low to mid tier category. American companies rarely make low tier guitars because they aren't really profitable when you take into account the wages that American workers get compared to the wages of Indonesion workers.

I whole-heartedly believe that if you give the Indonesion guitar manufacturer the same quality building materials and the same specs and tolerance control as an American manufacturer, the Indonesion company could build just as good a guitar as an American company and still make it cheaper.

• Members

I refuse to buy chinese for political reasons, and I'll pay more for USA, but not much if htey're hte same quality.

I'll pay a LIIITLE bit more for Japanese and European manufactured guitars tend to end up too pricey to consider due to duty and such.

Other than that, I don't care.

• Members

Nothing in and of itself. However, my Andersons, Suhrs, Hamers, PRS, Jackson CS, and other assorted american made guitars I've had are substantially better than any import I've ever played.

We still make the best guitars by far. It just isn't fender and gibson making them.

• Members

For most brands there is a stark difference between the USA handmades and the Korean/Chinease imports.

Granted that Japanease for the most part are definately on a par with USA made guitars, but there is still a difference...

For Gibson and Fender I don't think it means jack all. But brands like BC Rich, Jackson, etc, it does make a difference.

Jon

• Members

who can tell anymore what is truly made in USA? no, i go for best value usually, regardless of where it was made.

"Made in USA" on goods sure doesn't mean what it once did.

as far as i know, most of my gear is USA made, but again, i do not care.

• Members

Originally posted by blckbldng

MADE IN USA (by Mexicans)

not at Martin Guitars, all whites there, most are hand made, hand cut, etc... on an assembly line

Made in USA means your supporting U.S. jobs and wages. Your also supporting nationalism in that your choices are not based on capitalism (buying the "best" based on quality per dollar... you buying based on emotion and sentiment and nationalism and advertising and etc...)

Ironically, buying Chinese might be more a sign of supporting capitalism than buying american.

Archived