W O R K S O F A R T

docjeff

• Members

im a graphic designer and hate those kind of pics, they dont do anything for me except i know that someone was playing with the filters. But atleast u had some fun with it :D whatever rocks your world, just not my cup of tea.

• Members
Originally posted by buddy.H

im a graphic designer and hate those kind of pics, they dont do anything for me except i know that someone was playing with the filters. But atleast u had some fun with it
:D
whatever rocks your world, just not my cup of tea.

Can we see some samples of your work?

There's more to it than just using filters in Photoshop. The concepts of balance, use of white space to create interesting shapes, using textures and colors to create a mood, etc.

It's the same thing as using different guitars, amps, and effects to create a variety of tones and textures. As a graphic artist, I would think you would have more insight than just, "Oh, someone played with filters."

• Members

Not dissing your work but I know what he meant: "Oh look, someone's discovered they can do funny effects on digital images. Yawn."

AS someone who worked as a semi-pro photographer for a while I was interested to see other people's work on the net. After a few sites showing digitally manipulated images I've found the genre normally leaves me cold. FWIW to me yours were well above par, with generally sensible use of colour and effect, the one exception being the first, where the yellow/purple doesn't work for me. Mostly these kind of images are a total mess, and not worth the bandwidth they've taken up.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

There's more to it than just using filters in Photoshop. The concepts of balance, use of white space to create interesting shapes, using textures and colors to create a mood, etc.

It's the same thing as using different guitars, amps, and effects to create a variety of tones and textures. As a graphic artist, I would think you would have more insight than just, "Oh, someone played with filters."

the problem with software is that everyone has it...

--bruce mao said that, or something like it

no offense, for your education technology class, there's nothing wrong with teaching photoshop basics--but the word 'art' connotates a completely different level to most artists, and the fine line between the 2 could be summarized in one instant or take the rest of time to discuss, depending on the participants

fwiw, i think some of them are attractive

• Members

There seems to be a certain snobbery among a lot of folks who consider themselves to be experts in every artistic endeavor. Every other person you meet these days claims to have been at one time a professional this or that, but when you ask them for samples of their work, they cannot produce any. When people do provide real samples, it challenges all of us, because it forces us to take a look our own work, whether it be the visual arts, or the performing arts. That kind of introspection can be threatening to those who consider themselves to be better than others.

Here are some "straight" photos:

ric2.jpg
360horn.jpg

• Members

first of all, i didnt say it was bad, it looked like u had a great time making them and in the end that's all what matters. Like i said before, it's not my cup of tea.

Some advice, if u are serious about doing this, then u will have to be more open to criticism and face the fact that not everyone will like the things u make.

I studied 4 years photography (got my masters) and 4 year graphic design (also master). I only use photoshop filters when i create skins, starting from blank, for the 3D models i make. (3DS MAX). On photo's, i only use it to retouch (right word in english ?) my photo's.

about my work, here are some pics that were on my pc. My more up to date stuff is on a comp upstairs that will never be connected to the internet, i'm to scared of a virus. If that computer fails, i'm screwed.

first and second pic were made with a 4"x5" cambo technical camera in my second year photography. First one is just a scan from the negative, no PS, second one is just a scan of the print.

Pic 3 and 4 are paintings made for a poster for a play, just some experiments.

5,6 and 7 are scans of a polaroid (SX-70), text added, were some experiments for a cd. (pic 5 being the cover.) No PS (except for importing), text added in illustrator CS.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

if the pics are a bit dark on your monitor, im sry, they are calibrated for the monitor upstairs, that is linked to the printer.

again, im not saying im better then u, has got nothing to do with snobbery, i'm just not a big fan of the technique u are using. And u probably hate the stuff i make. Pm me and i will send u link when my website is back up, i'm currently making a new one.

• Members

There seems to be a certain snobbery among a lot of folks who consider themselves to be experts in every artistic endeavor. Every other person you meet these days claims to have been at one time a professional this or that, but when you ask them for samples of their work, they cannot produce any. When people do provide real samples, it challenges all of us, because it forces us to take a look our own work, whether it be the visual arts, or the performing arts. That kind of introspection can be threatening to those who consider themselves to be better than others.

Here are some "straight" photos:

those pics are a perfect exemple of what i would do with photoshop. U see those clouds in the first pic ? the border disappears, the white from the boards background dissapears into the cloud. Darken the cloud a bit, so some more details are shown (at the moment its overexposed), and the picture will be stronger cause there's a natural border with the background. Same thing happens in the second pic. The pickguard just flows into the background of the forum. I would also get rid of the cyan/blue hue surrounding the bridge pickup.

Again, thats what i would do, nothing to do with snobbery.

• Members

first of all, i didnt say it was bad, it looked like u had a great time making them and in the end that's all what matters. Like i said before, it's not my cup of tea.

Some advice, if u are serious about doing this, then u will have to be more open to criticism and face the fact that not everyone will like the things u make.

I studied 4 years photography (got my masters) and 4 year graphic design (also master). I only use photoshop filters when i create skins, starting from blank, for the 3D models i make. (3DS MAX). On photo's, i only use it to retouch (right word in english ?) my photo's.

about my work, here are some pics that were on my pc. My more up to date stuff is on a comp upstairs that will never be connected to the internet, i'm to scared of a virus. If that computer fails, i'm screwed.

first and second pic were made with a 4"x5" cambo technical camera in my second year photography. First one is just a scan from the negative, no PS, second one is just a scan of the print.

Pic 3 and 4 are paintings made for a poster for a play, just some experiments.

5,6 and 7 are scans of a polaroid (SX-70), text added, were some experiments for a cd. (pic 5 being the cover.) No PS (except for importing), text added in illustrator CS.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

if the pics are a bit dark on your monitor, im sry, they are calibrated for the monitor upstairs, that is linked to the printer.

again, im not saying im better then u, has got nothing to do with snobbery, i'm just not a big fan of the technique u are using. And u probably hate the stuff i make. Pm me and i will send u link when my website is back up, i'm currently making a new one.

this stuff is fantastic--would you pm me a link to your site as well?

good job explaining your stance, too...i understand how hard it is sometimes to make one's self clear when offering critique, and you've done a good job with your post

• Members
Originally posted by 500Hz

this stuff is fantastic--would you pm me a link to your site as well?

good job explaining your stance, too...i understand how hard it is sometimes to make one's self clear when offering critique, and you've done a good job with your post

thx for the kind words, i ll send u a link, but will take some time (about a month), im extremely lazy. :D

Would be nice of docjeff to just reply after implying (spelled correctly ?) i was a fake, a snob, and someone who considers himself to be better than others and felt threathened by introspection.

• Members

thx for the kind words, i ll send u a link, but will take some time (about a month), im extremely lazy.
:D

Would be nice of docjeff to just reply after implying (spelled correctly ?) i was a fake, a snob, and someone who considers himself to be better than others and felt threathened by introspection.

Yes, I did imply that...not to you in particular, but there is a certain amount of snobbery among artists, and I think graphic artists are the worst offenders. Not being a graphic artist, it would be presumptuous of me to critique your work. It seems to be quite good, and thanks for replying. I respect your work.

• Members

those pics are a perfect exemple of what i would do with photoshop. U see those clouds in the first pic ? the border disappears, the white from the boards background dissapears into the cloud. Darken the cloud a bit, so some more details are shown (at the moment its overexposed), and the picture will be stronger cause there's a natural border with the background. Same thing happens in the second pic. The pickguard just flows into the background of the forum. I would also get rid of the cyan/blue hue surrounding the bridge pickup.

Again, thats what i would do, nothing to do with snobbery.

Thanks. The originals are quite large (7 Megapixels, about 3.5 MB) and show quite a bit more detail. The resolution gets lost when the "Save for web" option is exercised. Like I said, I'm not a graphic artist, nor am I a professional photographer. I had to take all of those classes for my Ed. Tech. degree along with videography, audio production, etc. One of my colleagues, Linda Lohr, is a true graphic artist. She handles most of the visual stuff that we do in our department. She has an excellent book that is quickly becoming a standard in our field.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/013090712X/qid=1125540227/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5085162-7819261?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Archived