Kramer 300ST striker

Luke66

• Members

A little brother of my friend let me hold his 300st striker tonight and i'm kind of being a middle man for another friend on it. I need to know how much i should ask for it. I dont want to rip the kid off either, he's a good guy.

It has (from what i can tell) an original floyd rose

Made in Neptune, New Jersey

Pretty old from what i can tell. Early 80s probably

Minor finish blemished, but overall really nice.

It has grover tuners.

Any other info you guys might can give me would help.

if you need more info, just let me know :)

• Members

Off the top of my head, I don't think you'd get much more than $ 200.00 for it )these tend to pop up on Ebay fairly often). Hell, the ST100s were only about the same price new IIRC.

And don't let that "Neptune, NJ" neckplate fool you, either - again, IIRC, quite a few of the '80s Kramers had these neckplates EVEN IF they were imported.

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

Looking in the review section the 300st has sold for $70 to $318 with most going for right in the middle...$150

One dude said the body was plywood, another said it was a composite. Wonder which it is??

eew, i was hoping for at least something solid.

• Members

It's plywood, and the floyd is most likely the early version of the Floyd II. That trem has to be the WORST Floyd "licensed" version ever made. I would steer clear unless you get it for like $75. The necks are nice, but they don't have too many other redeeming qualities.

As the other poster said, don't let the neckplate fool you--the Striker series was made in Korea. The next step up from that was the Focus series, which was made in Japan at the ESP plant. Those are good guitars--alder bodies on most, real Floyd Rose trems, decent pickups, nice necks. Good solid instruments.

Do you have a pic of it? The early strikers had genuine Grovers and the Floyd without fine tuners (the real original floyd). I'd pay up to about $125 for one of those. The bodies were ply on those, as well, and weighed a TON. Was the headstock pointy & tilted, pointy & straight, or "beak" shaped?

• Members

Ah, it's a beak! Those actually have some GREAT playing necks and a rock-solid feel. If it's from the same year as the one I owned, the floyd on there should be the real one, but it was before they put fine tuners on it. A little piece of R&R history--Eddie had one of the first Floyd prototypes on his Charvel, and the early strikers basically had the same model (production version). Make sure there are black set screws coming out the back of each saddle. I've seen a few of these for sale on e-bay without the set screws, and they don't make them anymore. The "Original Floyd" set screws may work, but they're about twice as long, so it will look a bit odd.

The tuners should be genuine Grovers (they'll have "Grover" stamped on them), and those are top quality. You may want to get a new nut, as the originals were plastic.

The body, as far as I know, is plywood, and it is H-E-A-V-Y. But, mine actually sounded pretty great. Stock pickups also sounded great. Make sure that the trem set posts are not pulling toward the neck (which will split the body).

I still wouldn't drop more than $125 on it, but even if you end up hating it, the trem and tuners should get you about $75 on e-bay. Also, it has a "bullet" style truss rod--make sure the hex threads in the truss rod aren't stripped before you buy. Mine sounded awesome, felt extremely solid, and weighed a ton. I ended up selling it for about $125 a few months back.

Good luck! Post pics if you get it.

Archived