do bigsby's affect tone, sustain and tuning stability?

pewing33ny

• Members

I'm putting my order in for a white falcon on tuesday. I work at a store so it's going to be through fender and according to them there are a few at the USA inspection point and they are doing their final inspection. The guitars will probably go out next week.

Anyway, it's the 6136 model and i'm having a hard time deciding whether or not it's going to be worth it to get hte bigsby.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it and i'll decided whether i get it or not on the following question.

Do bigsby's cause tuning instability and do they have any influence on tone of the instrument?

• Members

Those Gretsches are great sounding guitars. I had a few issues with my 6120, but they were all resolved. I would do the following:

Stick with the .011's that the guitar comes set up for

Put some nut sauce on the bridge and the nut (duh:-)

Lubricate the moving parts of the Bigsby with some Vaseline--especially where there is friction

Get (or borrow) a copy of Erlewine's "How to Make your Electric Guitar Play Great." Read the chapter on Bigsby Tremolos. Follow his advice. You will be surprised at how good your Bigsby will work--and stay in tune--if you do some simple setup procedures and maintain your instrument.

GREAT CHOICE! I fell in love with the White Falcon the first time I saw Stephen Stills playing one in the early '70s.

• Members

Originally posted by pewing33ny

I'm putting my order in for a white falcon on tuesday. I work at a store so it's going to be through fender and according to them there are a few at the USA inspection point and they are doing their final inspection. The guitars will probably go out next week.

Anyway, it's the 6136 model and i'm having a hard time deciding whether or not it's going to be worth it to get hte bigsby.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it and i'll decided whether i get it or not on the following question.

Do bigsby's cause tuning instability and do they have any influence on tone of the instrument?

get the 6136 and forget the bigsby.

that Cadillac "G" tailpiece is da bomb

also the bigsby equipped unit has a thinner body and the headstock just doesn't look as nice JMHO.

• Members

I'd be lost on a Gretsch without a Bigsby...it just adds so much flavor to chords and trailing notes.

You do realize that a White Falcon with Bigsby also requires a second, cheap guitar to beat the chicks off with? This is actually where the term "beater guitar" is derived from.

;)

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by pewing33ny

I'm putting my order in for a white falcon on tuesday.

I'm sorry, I'm on my second martini, but to me a Gretsch Falcon w/o a Bigsby would be like a girlfriend without a poontang.

Of course you should get the Bigsby, In my mind it's damn near synonymous with Gresch. Otherwise just get a 335 and put some filterons on it.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

I'd be lost on a Gretsch without a Bigsby...it just adds so much flavor to chords and trailing notes.

You do realize that a White Falcon with Bigsby also requires a second, cheap guitar to beat the chicks off with? This is actually where the term "beater guitar" is derived from.

;)

~Blackbelt

that's why i picked the white falcon. i was going to go with the black falcon which is the most badass looking guitar ever but then again i'd be molested by teenage boys.

i think i'm going bigsby

• Members

Originally posted by Matamoros

I heard Bigsby affects tone in no way, thats why the tone freaks love em'.

Well compared to the Floyd Rose. But who plays one of those wihout high (Compartively) gain.

and bigsby's are the sexiest freakin piece of hardware ever made. floyds are damn near the ugliest.

yeah get the bigsby.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

Get (or borrow) a copy of Erlewine's "How to Make your Electric Guitar Play Great." Read the chapter on Bigsby Tremolos. Follow his advice. You will be surprised at how good your Bigsby will work--and stay in tune--if you do some simple setup procedures and maintain your instrument.

would it be possible to see a scan of that by any chance?

if not, that's cool.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

GREAT CHOICE! I fell in love with the White Falcon the first time I saw Stephen Stills playing one in the early '70s.

its not a white falcon but it is Stephen Stills with a bigsby

do you guys know what model it is?

artist_stills.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

;)

~Blackbelt

agreed....bigsby=cheap and plentiful sex with babes

Archived