Indonesian Squiers

Cougarbruin

• Members

I played a new Squier Strat in Cherry Sunburst yesterday at GC. It was undoubtedbly one of the best playing Strats I have ever played. I should have bought it. It had a beautiful cherry sunburst and the action was perfect. Nice and low with no buzz anywhere. Seems like the quality of the Squiers has really improved in just the last year or so. I'm sure the pickups and such would need replacing, but the wood and wire were great.

• Members
Originally posted by VanR

I played a new Squier Strat in Cherry Sunburst yesterday at GC. It was undoubtedbly one of the best playing Strats I have ever played. I should have bought it. It had a beautiful cherry sunburst and the action was perfect. Nice and low with no buzz anywhere. Seems like the quality of the Squiers has really improved in just the last year or so. I'm sure the pickups and such would need replacing, but the wood and wire were great.

I played around with a couple of them - particularly a black Bullet single hum hardtail that was quite light and thinner than a normal Strat - and was a shredder for sure. It was a blast! Then I played a red double hum with a trem - it weighed alot, and I noticed a decal on the back that said alder/agathis. Other than the trem, it was a stunning guitar. $150. Neck was nice and the fingerbaord was very dark as opposed to the red rosewood on the Mexicans. I dunno - the head stock alone makes these pretty kewl guitars. :p

• Members

I have a Squier Strat made in Indonesia that I bought new here in HK for around US$150. Not bad at all. Fit and finish were surprisingly good, and it plays pretty well. I also have an Amer Deluxe Strat - trust me, there is no way you could mistake the Squier for a real Strat. But it's a fun guitar. I keep it tuned in open G for those Stones moments....

• Members
Originally posted by -Bong-

I played around with a couple of them - particularly a black Bullet single hum hardtail that was quite light and thinner than a normal Strat - and was a shredder for sure. It was a blast! Then I played a red double hum with a trem - it weighed alot, and I noticed a decal on the back that said alder/agathis. Other than the trem, it was a stunning guitar. $150. Neck was nice and the fingerbaord was very dark as opposed to the red rosewood on the Mexicans. I dunno - the head stock alone makes these pretty kewl guitars.
:p

I love how they've given the Squier range a CBS-style makeover - always loved that look anyhow, and it's really given the Squiers an identity of their own rather than merely being cheap Fenders.... if only they did a 68 reissue style, I'd have bought one and Hendrixed it already.

I love Squiers, I'd have loads if they made em lefty.

• Members

i have 2 squiers. one i got s/h which was originally from one of those packs and one of the 2005 standards. i love them both. the 2005 is excellent. ive played loads of squiers side by side with Mexican fenders and alot of the time the squiers come out tops.

look out for korean or japanese squiers. although the koreans are usually plywood they seem to have a great tone. the new standard series are great too.

its just a case of playing a bunch and picking out the one that stands out.

my 2005 is metallic black with maple fingerboard. the only thing i want to change is the pickguard; to a black one. it doesnt need any upgrading at all imo

:)

there should be a squier society on these boards!

• Members

I got a Standard tele 2005 natural cherry for about the equivalent of 170 USD (in sweden it is a bit more expensive).
Side to side to an original USA it is impossible not to notice the differences in finish. USA=nicer, much nicer looking.
I fit mine with some british hand made pick ups (Bare knuckle Country Boy Tele Set)...I have no problem sayng that now it does sound better than any tele I have tried out there.
Stock pups. are OK thou. As somebody else claimed neck is thin and fast; chubby hands might not be always pleased.
M

• Members

I think it depends upon which factory is making the guitars in any given country, and who is doing the training and QC at those factories. I have an AS-73 Ibanez Artcore that is absolutely beautiful, and a joy to play. It's made in China in a factory that Ibanez owns. My Agile 2800 DLX is made in Korea and is another guitar of suprisingly good quality.

Apparently, Fender's Indonesian factory was set up properly from the ground up...at least as indicated by the number of glowing reviews on their guitars (mine included).

I've learned to lay my predjudices aside and just evaluate a guitar on it's merits, not country of origin. I just trust in my own ability to discern that which is well made from that which isn't and labels be damned. After all, in the end we have to satisfy the harshest critic of all...ourselves.

• Members

Originally posted by Bloozcat

I think it depends upon which factory is making the guitars in any given country, and who is doing the training and QC at those factories. I have an AS-73 Ibanez Artcore that is absolutely beautiful, and a joy to play. It's made in China in a factory that Ibanez owns. My Agile 2800 DLX is made in Korea and is another guitar of suprisingly good quality.

Apparently, Fender's Indonesian factory was set up properly from the ground up...at least as indicated by the number of glowing reviews on their guitars (mine included).

I've learned to lay my predjudices aside and just evaluate a guitar on it's merits, not country of origin. I just trust in my own ability to discern that which is well made from that which isn't and labels be damned. After all, in the end we have to satisfy the harshest critic of all...ourselves.

I was only talking about Korean Fenders. There are many nice Korean guitars made. I just havent found a korean fender that was any good.

• Members

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r

I've personaly found the Korean Fenders to border on junk.

The Indo Squires I've played were better made than the Korean Fenders I've played and bought.

Aren't the "Lite Ash" series MIK?

Protone Squier are excellent (better than MIM standards by a mile!)...all were MIK.

MIK set-neck DeArmonds are almost legendary in quality.

My experience has been that there are some EXCELLENT Fender products that were/are MIK.

Archived