Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Lawrence L500-XL Sound?

can someone describe what these sound like in a high gain metal situation for rythym? Do they sound like any pickups currently available from other vendors?
    Randall Flagg Full Length "Warning: Contains Audio" Distributed by The End Records

Band Sites: www.colonyband.net & www.randallflagg.com
    Band Myspaces: www.myspace.com/colonybandnj & www.myspace.com/randallflagg

1. Dual Recto (2 ch.) w/ Deluxe Voodoo Mod w/ 6L6GCMSTR
    2. Voodoo Amps 4x12 (V30&75 x-pattern)/ISP VectorSL Sub
    3. Ibanez RGT42FX (hardtail/A-E-A-D-Gb-B)
    - Bridge: Bare Knuckles "Warpig"
    - Neck: Duncan 59

Supposedly the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker is a copy of this one.

I ordered one last year (the L-500 XL from the one and only Bill Lawrence at www.billlawrence.com, not the other fake site) and replaced the stock Ibanez pickup in my old SA160.

It was better, but I would be lying if I said it was a dramatic improvement (but that might because maybe the stock pickup was better than I thought it was).

Comment

cool thanks! Is it considered a bright or dark pickup? Does it have a tonal flavor of any sort?
      Randall Flagg Full Length "Warning: Contains Audio" Distributed by The End Records

Comment

I really don't remember that well, I had for about 3 months before I sold my SA160 and decided I wanna go low and got myself a baritone instead.

I remember it was quite good, balanced and had a clean tone, but I think the original Seymour Duncan JB on my ESP sounded better.

But than the ESP costs 3 times as much as the Ibanez SA160 (which had a horrible tremolo that probably sucked out a lot of the tone), so it's hard for me to compare.

Either way, the L-500 XL is inexpensive ($55 or so) so even if you don't like it you should be able to easily sell it for $40 or more on EBay to people who want to get it right away instead of waiting 4-6 weeks to get them from Bill and Becky.

Comment

Lots of output, lots of top-end. Crunchy, but thin.

I've got 2, one that used to be in a CU-22, and one that's coming out of a Warmoth superStrat.

Comment

thin huh? that sucks? I thought people liked this for metal?

Comment

Well, sometimes less bass is better...for example on my baritone I cut down a lot of the bass before the preamp and boost it only afterwards.

this helps a lot to get a really chunky sound when palm muting, 'cause boosting the bass on thick string will just make it sound like mud, especially on palm mutes.

Comment

Originally posted by rsf1977
                thin huh? that sucks? I thought people liked this for metal?

The EMG 81 is the thinnest sounding pickup i have ever heard, but it cuts ridiculously well. With the right eq'ing you can get them more beefy, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

The EMG 81 is the thinnest sounding pickup i have ever heard, but it cuts ridiculously well. With the right eq'ing you can get them more beefy, obviously.

good point! I should have thought of that lol I always want it to be perfect out of the box and i guess nothing really is

Comment

i have the L500L, which is lower output, and it screams. the word i think of is "clear".
                    The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer
                      i have the L500L, which is lower output, and it screams. the word i think of is "clear".

nice! what is 500XL supposed to sound like in comparison to the 500L?

Comment

Originally posted by rsf1977

nice! what is 500XL supposed to sound like in comparison to the 500L?

its simply supposed to be higher output. personally, i don't think that's a good thing, as i'd rather the amp did the work, and not compress so fast. YMMV.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

I have a genuine XL and yes, I would say clear is a better description than thin. There is a fair amount of treble, but I have found that with all ceramic magnet pickups I've played. It's great for hard rock and metal. Quite agressive nature overall and it has a surprisingly good twangy clean.

Comment

i'm insterested in the L-500 because of the blade setup but I don't like twang. looking for more of a blues cruch
                            Would i be better off with a L-500 R?
                            or should i look somewhere else
                            WTB: Allen & Heath Xone VF-1 Filter

Comment

Originally posted by SoundwaveLove
                              i'm insterested in the L-500 because of the blade setup but I don't like twang. looking for more of a blues cruch
                              Would i be better off with a L-500 R?
                              or should i look somewhere else

the R is the neck pup that is matched to the XL.

i'd go with an L. i like it in my ibanez.

Comment

Working...
                              X