What gives a tele it's sound?

tlester

• Members

Tele's sound so unique. Big, but at the same time cutting. They always sound so huge to me. What is it that gives them this sound? Is there something about the pickups? It doesn't seem to me that I could stick a strat pickup in a tele and it sound like a tele.

What's happening with tele's?

-Tom

• Members
Originally posted by twangboy

Lotsa folks pare it down to the brass plate on the bottom of the pickup combined with the brass or steel bridge saddles.

To me the coil is a bit fatter and its placement near the strings gives it the twang and balls.

+1 ...bridge really gives it a lot of its sound...that' why it sounds so...metallic.....

also, don't forget the scale... 25.5" makes for more snappiness

:cool:

• Members

I think all the above contributes but I think the entire thing comes down to the relationship between the pu position relative to string harmonics. In other words, if you took a toilet plunger and put a neck on it, and put two single coil pu's at the best sounding position, you would get a tele. If you used three, you get a strat.
You could move any of the positions of the pu's a small distance and you'd be off the 'sweet spot'.

• Members
Originally posted by zzzy

I think all the above contributes but I think the entire thing comes down to the relationship between the pu position relative to string harmonics. In other words, if you took a toilet plunger and put a neck on it, and put two single coil pu's at the best sounding position, you would get a tele. You could move any of the positions of the pu's a small distance and you'd be off the 'sweet spot'.

+1

though the toilet plunger example is a little extreme :D

• Members

Originally posted by atrox

I would say having the pickup mounted on the bridge makes the biggest difference. Though I'm sure there are a few more factors involved

You are correct sir:

1. Pick-up mounted on bride.

2. Scale = 25.5 = KILLER

3. Brass barrel saddles = KILLER TONE

Tele lovers of the world.................................................UNITE !

• Members

Originally posted by bernardo gui

3. Brass barrel saddles = KILLER TONE

i'm not so shure about saddles.

my newest aquisition - MIK lite ash tele (lite - hahaha) has this saddles, but ... i also have an american tele with six stainless steel saddles, end this guitar sure has more tele tone and mojo.

Archived