No announcement yet.

Who & Why do they stamp headstocks "used"

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowerR64
    Where can i get headless "USED" guitars? prefer steinberger.

You are
    better off just getting them from YO. MIRC deals with Epiphone, and probably other Gibson owned brands, but as I stated in an earlier post, by the time they do their thing, their price to dealers isnt that much less than first quality, so the end user usually pays more than used price. They mostly provide an opportunity for dealers to widen their inventory without becoming "new" dealers for a lot of brands, or for pawnshops and fleabayers to get their mitts on some guitar inventory.

Comment

I have never, ever, seen a guitar with "used" or "second" or "2nd", or "blem" or any other such thing stamped on it anywhere. Not in any guitar store in america or england that I've been in for the past 30 years. A new one to me.
      Life for its own carnal pleasure.Synths: Novation KS4 & Maudio Venom. Guitar: BC Rich It Warlock.. Bass: BC Rich Warlock. Sight: Aerial lasers by Omnisistem & Chauvet,. Geometric lasers by Extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstorm
        I have never, ever, seen a guitar with "used" or "second" or "2nd", or "blem" or any other such thing stamped on it anywhere. Not in any guitar store in america or england that I've been in for the past 30 years. A new one to me.

Lucky guy! I have seen way too much of it myself. Many marks are subtle. Sometimes a tiny 2 on the last fret of the fingerboard. Jackson had a ****************load of water damaged stuff a few years back, and all the guitars had a little W on the last fret. Whenever someone brought in a used Jackson to sell I would check for a W, so I would know it was originally purchased at a lower price, and that it was probably floating at one time. Lots of bad necks on those floaters.

Comment

Clyde > Little w for water damaged. Hum thats the type of only time I'd want to see some sort of stamp on a guitar. And would avoid buying it. Lol. I dont think I'd want to buy a guitar with used carved or stamped onto it. Would be as unappealling as shopping for a used car at a lot that branded the word "used" onto the bumper or some such. Lol. I'm glad we dont brand the word "used" onto peeps who get a devorce. Ok your divorce is approved, bend over a little so can touch this little branding iron with the fancy "U" to your forhead. Lol.
          Life for its own carnal pleasure.Synths: Novation KS4 & Maudio Venom. Guitar: BC Rich It Warlock.. Bass: BC Rich Warlock. Sight: Aerial lasers by Omnisistem & Chauvet,. Geometric lasers by Extreme.

Comment

There was an outrage here a couple years ago about a chain of guitar stores in the States stamping used stock USED. I don't know if they still do it, but I'd imagine the resale on all their sold guitars is in the dumper.
            Straight-Jacket memories, and Sedative highs... the Good Old Days.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstorm

Check out pawn shops. That's where I run into these, often hanging as "new" merchandise. A closer look shows otherwise.

Here is an example stamped USED from Ebay:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7361103381
              (item # 7361103381)

Here is an example stamped SECOND from gbase.com:
              http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=782998
              "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Originally posted by seaofstrings

yea, I know it sounds, well, stupid. For some reason it does matter with me. I am normally not at all one who would care... kinda weird.

I think it is more the theory behind doing it, not that it is stamped. My used car I purchased doesn't have this, nor my home, etc.....

kind weird i guess
                That's because a new car doesn't get sent back to the factory or get sold with known blemishes,slight changes,etc. The guitar is actually new but usually gets sold with no warranty. I've bought a number of guitars new and used with USED stamped on them. I bought a couple of new Epi Wildkats that initially came to the US with faulty Bigsby tails. Instead of waiting for replacement Bigsbys,they simply replaced the tails with a trapeze style and sold them that way. They work fine and the thing is,I probably wouldn't have bought one with a cheap Bigsby,or would have changed it myself.
                tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                -For Sale:
                -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

No warranty.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  HC Geezer Brigade #150

Comment

Made in the pesn plant in east germany.

Comment

Methinks we have a store, masquerading as a human like being here.....
                      My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
                      Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

Homo Stoarpiens gone.
                        Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

As soon as I get a new guitar home, it's used. Should I stamp it?

Notes
                          Bob "Notes" Norton
                          Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                          Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
                          The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

• Chordite
                            Chordite commented
                            Editing a comment
                            In my house "used" is usually self evident after a fortnight anyway

• Notes_Norton
                            Notes_Norton commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yep. I play hard, I'm hard on gear, and I play one-nighters for a living. When I'm done with an instrument, it's close to being worn out. There is no need to stamp USED on something that I get my hands on

I've seen stuff that was stamped to indicate it was a second, but never something that was stamped "used."

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• Freeman Keller
                            Freeman Keller commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Phil, this thread and a couple of others was revived by what looked to be a pretty commercial new member. He seems to have pulled the posts and gone away. Seems to be quite a bit of that lately.

Working...
                        X