Bone vs. Graphite nuts

Vendor Defendor

• Members

i got it from a local guitar shop. Was the guys last one. I just asked simply, do you have a graphite nut that will fit an SG? he dug a bit, and found one for a gibson. it looked pre-slotted, as the bottom is hollow.

I removed the old one very easily. Pull off the truss rod bell cover. With a screw driver and hammer, tap the left and right sides LIGHTLY, then with a pair of plyers, grab the nut in the middle and pull. Make sure you score the finish first, otherwise it comes off with the nut.

Check around for local cheapo guitar shops. We have one here called Timeless Guitars. its the only place i like. All guitars from the 60s and 70s, PARTS GALLORE

If your feeling up to it you could get a blank and slot it yourself. If i had a better set of files id offer to do it for you, as im learning to slot a bone nut for my acoustic, and until i do it myself and am pleased, i wont brag or screw anyone elses up.

The difference really, is that when open notes are hit, you get a much thicker, richer sound. Graphite on an SG is a godsend. These guitars are famous for holding tune, but graphite is slippery, so when you bend, the strings slide at the nut easily, and you retain your tune.

A plastic nut gets mushy (on the epiphones especially!) strings sink, it chips far too easily on low E, and the open notes sound dull. The nut i removed was that rubbery soft plastic

Mines an epiphone. When i switched it, it had a more gibson feel, and was the weirdest, but coolest thing ever. The new feeling wore off pretty quick

Now. with bone, its pretty much the same principal, only bone provides a happier, warmer tone, and personally id only use em on an acoustic or maybe a hollowbody.

Hope that helps!

Archived