Gonna Rewire one of my Guitars - Best Wire??

crypticglobe

• Members

Hey guys. I am an old pro at wiring/re-wiring... but I have always pretty much been able to use the wiring already in a guitar.

I want to completely re-do one of mine (a project guitar) and put the very best wire possible in it. All the innards are well shielded... so I am not look for the best shielding... just the best tone.

Any suggestions? Links would be great. Cost is not really a concern... so it's so ok if your suggestion ain't cheap. :)

Thanks in advance...

• Members

Are you talking about the cable from Mojo tone that is .50 cents a foot? That's hardly a big expendature.

Anyone else? I read about some silver oxygen free wire somewhere but now I can't even seem to google it.

I know it's simple...and I don't HAVE to spend a fortune... but I mean.. come on.. isn't anyone else always on the search for ways to improve your tone in very small ways???

Thanks!

• Members

Find someone who works on milspec electronics for a defense contractor.

Silver wire? Check

Cloth insulation? Check

Thats about it, unless you can find an old, old console stereo that might have vintage wiring to the speakers.

Or, just buy some good quality sheilded cable and wire the {censored}er up, since it's doubtful that anyone could tell the difference.

• Members

Originally posted by crypticglobe

Are you talking about the cable from Mojo tone that is .50 cents a foot? That's hardly a big expendature.

Anyone else? I read about some silver oxygen free wire somewhere but now I can't even seem to google it.

I know it's simple...and I don't HAVE to spend a fortune... but I mean.. come on.. isn't anyone else always on the search for ways to improve your tone in very small ways???

Thanks!

no, I was posting with respect to any wire beyond what's basically necessary for the job....mojo~snakeoil in this case. I personally have not heard a tone benefit from using expensive exotic wiring over quality standard wire. How exactly do you expect sliver oxygen free wire to improve your tone?

• Members

Originally posted by titovanburen

the signal is cleaner with better wire...right? if so, then...

what's the best type wire for a guitar signal?

First, your assumption implies that the standard wire in your comparison would be faulty to some degree which is not what we are talking about here. Second, how would the wire make it "cleaner" and what is "cleaner"?

The wiring in a guitar circuit is not adding to the signal, at worst, it can only subtract. Now, what about the rest of your circuit and the quality of the components relative to your new wire?

• Members

Originally posted by titovanburen

the signal is cleaner with better wire...right? if so, then...

what's the best type wire for a guitar signal?

Exactly. I hear a MAJOR difference between somthing like a Pro Co Guitar cable and a Mogami... or even better George L with switchcraft connectors guitar cable. I mean... it's night and day. I have been making my own George L cables for a long time now because of that.

The wire that goes FROM the pickups to the CABLE that carries the signal to the amp (though much shorter of course) has to make SOME difference.

However... I didn't ask for a debate. I just asked for advice. If you don't have a lead on high quality cable for guitar wiring... ... then you don't have to post.... ;)

See how easy that is... :)

• Members

Originally posted by crypticglobe

Exactly. I hear a MAJOR difference between somthing like a Pro Co Guitar cable and a Mogami... or even better George L with switchcraft connectors guitar cable. I mean... it's night and day. I have been making my own George L cables for a long time now because of that.

The wire that goes FROM the pickups to the CABLE that carries the signal to the amp (though much shorter of course) has to make SOME difference.

However... I didn't ask for a debate. I just asked for advice. If you don't have a lead on high quality cable for guitar wiring... ... then you don't have to post....
;)

See how easy that is...
:)

so sorry, I thought this was a public forum where memebers are permitted to express an opinon with in the TOS posting rules of the fourm.

You have your concepts all mixed up with your instrument cable comparison, btw.

• Members

GuitarElectronics.com has wiring kits, and that's probably what I'll use for my next guitar project. As long as you use good wire and make clean joints, your pickups, switches, jacks, caps, and pots are going to make more of a difference. Consider the fact that you're probably using pre-wired pickups, so you'll have 7-14 inches of "average" wire per pickup already in your circuit.

• Members

There is not enough voltage present in the circuit to have a noticable gain or loss if the best or worst wire possible is used. As long as it is unbroken and completes the circuit all is good. Some people like cloth insulated silver wire, some will tell you only to use copper wire in a rubber shield. I've never found it matters which is used so long as the wire is good and the solder connections are solid.

• Members

Wire in the audio equipment world makes a big difference in the sound of a good, revealing system. Interconnects will have teflon as a dialectric and oxygen-free copper or silver as a conductor. Because the voltages are higher, speaker wire usually has a greater effect on the sound though.

As mentioned before, the controls will probably have a far greater effect of sound though...you have contacts within the controls that will wear and/or become oxidized over time, degrading the sound, and the contracts surfaces themselves need to be good.

My integrated amp has no bass, treble or balance, so as to completely remove them from the signal chain, thereby maximizing sound quality.

www.homegrownaudio.com sells wire for interconnects and speaker wires and I would think that would work well too.

Archived