What kind of pickup did Eddie Van Halen use to get the sounds 1978-1984?

KATMAN

• Members

These were his best sound period in my opinion. Not really a huge fan,but he had the biggest tone that a non-Gibson made during in that rock era.If I can find that pickup,and put in my Pacifica,I'd be a happy man.If I could play like Eddie,I'd be a lot happier,but that's another story. Anybody know which and what kind of pickups he was using back then?

• Members

Originally posted by hondro

62 ES-335 bridge pickup:o

I heard 54 but I guess no one but him will know 100%, otherwise yeah I heard from a 335 too.

Nowadays people say the Seymour Duncan SH11 Custom Custom gets you closest. Though there's also the SD custom shop 78' EVH (Enhenced Voiced Harmonics or something like this...)

• Members

Originally posted by Pott

I heard 54 but I guess no one but him will know 100%, otherwise yeah I heard from a 335 too.

Nowadays people say the Seymour Duncan SH11 Custom Custom gets you closest. Though there's also the SD custom shop 78' EVH (Enhenced Voiced Harmonics or something like this...)

both the Humbucker(PAF) and the ES-335 wasn't available yet in '54

• Members

Eddie used a gibson PAF he took off a GIbson es-335. he dipped it in parrafin wax so that it won't squeal. :thu:

The Seymour duncan seth lover pickup sounds the closes to his original pickup in my opinion. the problem is, it doesn't come from the factory wax potted I believe. so you'll have to wax pot it somehow if you want to use it with high gain.

then he used a duncan 59' model on his kramer. it sounds like the seth lover but with more scooped mids.

eddie says he rewired the pickups by hand, but I think it's bullshit. if you rewire a pickup, it would be a totally different pickup. no use in even saying it was a gibson PAF.

• Members

Originally posted by bryvincent

both the Humbucker(PAF) and the ES-335 wasn't available yet in '54

duh! if you're Eddie Van Halen, you just call up Michael J Fox and ask for a ride back to 1954

it was actually a 345, though - the donor guitar was featured at The Enchantment Under The Sea dance, with Marvin Berry

geez - it's like some of you people have absolutely no reading comprehension skills whatsoever - this dead horse topic has been beaten so much that, um, it's like it's dead

• Members

Originally posted by Pott

That was going to be my next question,I quess it depends on your ears and amp to get HIS sound.Other questions,what are other good pickups that produce a fat,punched sound? I heard the SD George Lynch Screamin Demon is supposed to be good,any others that you all may have tried?

• Members

i don't think the custom custom sounds like VH. the seth lover and the 59' model is the closest. the secret to eddie's early sound.

lite ash body +maple neck + SD seth lover = early VH tone. or for his late 80's sound, use a 59' model. if it doesn't sound like it you can sue me :D

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

Yeah, PAF from the ES-335 supposedly rewound by him or Seymour Duncan.

Who knows - the dude has lied about his gear on more than a few occasions.

Haha, just like robbie robertson did back in 70s when everyone wanted to sound like the band. He told the people to put greese on their pickups - he {censored}ed a lot of peoples' pickups that way....

• Members

I read on the eddievanhalen.com site that he took a 59 that had a bad coil then put a coil from another PAF and put it in the frame of the 59 to create a 59/PAF hybrid. Duncan calls it an unbucker because they are 2 different coils. If you look at some of the closeups it looks like a 59, you can see the braded wire and {censored}.

I think there was more to his sound then just the pickup also. He did some whacky {censored} to his amp too. One site i read where a guy had some old pics of the band in a rehersal hall and he pointed out some shot on the floor eddies was using. He said he used a marshall that was supose to run a higher voltage in the UK or somthing and eddie had it running at about half the voltage it was supose to use. A variable transformer or some {censored}. His dad i think was a tv repairman and he knew alot about tubes and electronics so i think his dad helped him tweak his {censored}.

If you listen to some of those old CDs use your balance control, if you pan the speakers all the way to one side you wont hear him in the mix. Its like he recorded in mono on only one channel or somthing weird. With the balance in the center it still sounds full

• Members

If you look at this picture, you can see one coil is all rusty and old, the other is fairly clean and new. Also the spacing of the 2 are not the same. The top coil seems to be right, the bottom coil near the bridge seems to be a neck pickup with a more narrow spacing. People that make replicas wondered what that little red dot was, i thought it looked like an extra button from a shirt he glued into his guitar.

When you look at the cobbled mess, its amazing the thing even worked. :freak:

Thestudy.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

I think there was more to his sound then just the pickup also. He did some whacky {censored} to his amp too.

all eddie did with his amp was lower the voltage to 89 volts so he can get good distortion without blowing up his amp. other than that, it's just a stock marshall. it's funny when people try to speculate what gear eddie uses. eddie probably laughs his head off when someone trys to speculate what gear he uses and gets it wrong.

• Members

Originally posted by marloni

eddie never told the total truth about his gear. he said himself an GW interview he doesn't like everyone knowing what he used. just take what he says in interviews carefully coz some of it is is true and some bullshit.

Just like Kurt Cobain used piano wire for strings because he could not get strings thick enough for his taste...:rolleyes:

not to say Kurt was a good guitar player...but some musicians are known to fuck with details on their gear to fuck with people...

• Members

ok, I'm gonna hijack this thread

is that red white and black guitar the same as the one on the cover of VH1?

its a boogie body body and a Fender neck right? (originally)

he then put a Kramer neck on it and a Floyd Rose and cut the pickguard up and added red to it

he put those eye-hook strap buttons on too

what about that neck pickup? did he ever use that?

Archived