Charvel CX series

JPOM

• Members

the CX series guitars are all entry level, low quality ones?

some loacly offered me one for about 300$,

and I can't seem to find any info on the specific one.

the model is CX929,

here is a pic:

3_0_1_2_20060228190241.jpg

• Members

They're low end, not low quality. Charvettes were the low quality ones. $300 is way too much though. I've never seen that paticular model, but all the CX models were pretty cheap. For that kind of money, you can snag a 375, Predator or even a Fusion, and really have a nice Charvel.

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

They're low end, not low quality. Charvettes were the low quality ones. $300 is way too much though. I've never seen that paticular model, but all the CX models were pretty cheap. For that kind of money, you can snag a 375, Predator or even a Fusion, and really have a nice Charvel.

300$ here is about the price a squier strat so it's cheap for me.

do you know where I can find some info on those?

they are just a cheap decent quality Charvels?

how is their built quality compare to my DXMG?

• Members

i'll post this one over here, too:

Originally posted by guitarslinger

I had a cx391 HSH with the floyd rose copy.

It sounded/played like shit. It didn't stay in tune. It was made in Korea in the early 90's

New, it was only $350 USD.

late 80's/early 90's Japanese Charvels are miles above the cx series.

oh man......we've gotta talk....

the CX series was made in Japan in 1992, and they were only made during that year. the first run of them had strat-style headstocks, and in the US, later ones had the headstock pictured below.

i've got a CX390 (HSS stock), and i've modded it a good bit....the pickups were replaced with EMGs (81 and 85 wired at 18V), i got a custom pickguard for it, replaced the plate of the bridge with another one from an identical (other than color) bridge from another guitar, had it routed for a battery cavity on the back, and leveled the frets.

the neck is one of the most comfortable ones i've ever played, and the only issues i had with it before the fret leveling was a nasty buzz on the 2nd fret of the D and G strings, but that was the only problem spot. stock pickups were pretty mediocre, but i only had the stock bridge pickup in it for about 3 days after i bought the guitar. never had any issues with it not staying in tune...at least, not that i can remember. this was the 4th guitar i owned, and currently the one i've owned the longest. definitely one of the nicest-looking ones i've got, too. :p

CX390new1-sm.jpgCX390new2-sm.jpg

CX390body.jpg

Charvel-back-sm.jpg

they go for pretty cheap on ebay now, and if i had the money i'd probably grab another one just to have another guitar with that same neck.

• Members

FalseRevRG, if you dig the CX guitars, find a x75 (375, 475) from those same years. Easily one of the best superstrats even. Much better hardware, same neck profile, better body wood and better pickups. Not a ton of money either..

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

FalseRevRG, if you dig the CX guitars, find a x75 (375, 475) from those same years. Easily one of the best superstrats even. Much better hardware, same neck profile, better body wood and better pickups. Not a ton of money either..

fucking sweet, if the neck is the same i'll definitely have to keep that in mind.....if only i had the money to spend on another guitar :p

• Members

CX391 here as was said the early run because of the strat headstock. I don't know how you can can say a decent double locking trem has issues staying in tune. And yup MIJ goodness here.

Stock Pups are shite no doubt about that, but the neck more than makes up for it. One of the better license Takeuchi Floyd Rose trems came with mine. Basswood body but a fairly thick poly finish (I'm refinishing mine). Grover 18:1 tuners. Swimming Pool route in mine. I have a BL L500 in atm in single hum config but as soon as the SD livewires arrive they'll be going in.

I got mine on Ebay for $200Aus (about $150-175USD) that seems to be the going rate from what I've seen. It had a couple of paint chips here and there though.

51acb37f.jpg

Archived