Hendrix Wiring mods

Zen

• Members

Did Hendrix or his tech do any wiring mods to Jimi's guitars?

My friend told me that he may take his guitar to a tech to get the wiring mods to sound like Hendrix.

It seems the general concensus that it is hard to sound like Jimi.

Enlighten me to guitar's electronic setup.

• Members

Playing Jimi properly is in the fingers and not the pups. I play Hendrix on Godins, Michael Kellys and even an Ibanez RG. I don't even own a Strat.

I think I play him pretty well but I've had the benefit of years of instruction from a 35 year pro who taught me the Hendrix "blues style". He does play between the cracks.

Do I sound EXACTLY like Jimi? Nope! Nor do I try to. Close enough for government work.

• Members

Well, there is one "Hendrix wiring mod" on Bill Lawrence's web site. I've never tried it, so I can't vouch for it, but you might want to take a look. I have heard it reported for many years that Bill Lawrence had done some wiring mods for Hendrix when he was alive. Again, I can't guarantee the accuracy of those reports.

• Members

Originally posted by bcjames

The only Hendrixy mod I could think of would be to turn the bridge pickup so it is angled the other way.

Just what I was thinking, but I'm sure a waste of time compared to just practicing alot. Jimi could sound like Jimi on any guitar. It's the batter not the bat.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

Drugs...
:rolleyes:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Jimi's tone: 5 tabs of LSD (preferably double-dipped), half a bottle of Whisky and a couple of spliffs.

At least it'll make you think you sound like Jimi....even if nobody else does. ;)

Didn't Hendrix have his Marshalls modded for extra gain or something?

• Members

Originally posted by Dougy

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Jimi's tone: 5 tabs of LSD (preferably double-dipped), half a bottle of Whisky and a couple of spliffs.

At least it'll make
you
think you sound like Jimi....even if nobody else does.
;)

no it's the belly button switch on the back of the guitar! :cool: :cool: :freak:

• Members

I think I read some place that Jimi sometimes used to put his pickup selector switch inbetween the settings of the bridge and middle pickups. This would engage both pickups. I think strats are available now that will do this. Other than that just get a good strat, a Marshall or Fender tube amp, a wah and other effects and just play. You'll get there eventually. His strats sound pretty normal to me. It's his technique and attack that stands out.

• Members

Originally posted by frankenbich

I think I read some place that Jimi sometimes used to put his pickup selector switch inbetween the settings of the bridge and middle pickups. This would engage both pickups. I think strats are available now that will do this. Other than that just get a good strat, a Marshall or Fender tube amp, a wah and other effects and just play. You'll get there eventually. His strats sound pretty normal to me. It's his technique and attack that stands out.

That was pretty standard for the seasoned players back in the days when Fender was using 3way switches. Players called it the "in between" position. Today it's known as positions 2 and 4 on a Strat's 5way switch.

It was kinda tricky to even get that switch to stay in that position. Hendrix knew all the tricks.

• Members

The only thing you could do is get a different pickguard to have the bridge pickup slanted the other way and have all the pickups swapped in a 180 fashion.

Or you could fork out the cash for kinman woodstocks.

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

That was pretty standard for the seasoned players back in the days when Fender was using 3way switches. Players called it the "in between" position. Today it's known as positions 2 and 4 on a Strat's 5way switch.

It was kinda tricky to even get that switch to stay in that position. Hendrix knew all the tricks.

Yes, I even read somewhere that he intentionally had a rubber foot missing from his wah because it put the pedal at the most comfortable foot position/angle for him. Jimi didn't miss a beat.

Archived