how to wire a hot rail pickup in a strat

Ryan F

• Members

I'm planning on replacing the bridge pickup on my standard fender strat with a SD shr-1 hot rails. What wiring modifications do i need to do when introducing a humbucker into a single coil guitar?

• Members

As a drop in replacement, just follow the SD directions, you can also look on their website for larger diagrams. You'll basically have 4 wires coming out of the pup instead of 2 on the single coil, you'll solder two together, ground one, and run the other to the selector switch. Good luck.

• Members

I'm not really sure what pickup I want. I dont use my strat too much because i dont have a huge use for single coils. What pickup (single coil replacement) would be best to throw in to play stuff like Iron Maiden?

• Members

Hot Rails is what I put in the bridge of my American Strat, very happy with it (also used in Maiden). I first got the JB Jr., good, just not exactly what I was looking for. I put it in myself initially (like all my other replacement pups), but decided I wanted it split so I had my guitar tech wire all three pups to the middle pot (master tone), and wired the split to the bottom tone pot, now on 1 it's a single coil, on 10 it's a full humbucker. It's a good pup, great, heavy humbucker, and split it sounds like a nice clean Strat single-coil.

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

Hot rails is a great heavy sounding high gain pickup.

the Scream'in demon is good for leads too..

the little JB is a hot lead pickup, not as good for rythums as the hot rails IMHO

i just put a GFS lil' killer which is alot like the screamin demon or hot rails but half the price, in my strat. it sounds awesome in the bridge position for screaming solos.

• Members

Originally posted by septopus

As a drop in replacement, just follow the SD directions, you can also look on their website for larger diagrams. You'll basically have 4 wires coming out of the pup instead of 2 on the single coil, you'll solder two together, ground one, and run the other to the selector switch. Good luck.

thats exactly how i did mine....very simple!

Archived