Will a P90 pickup fit at strat?

Lund

• Members

Hi

I have a strat, and i want to have a P90 in the bridgeposition... will it fit? I am getting the Dogear version, to have pickup screws like a standard strat pickup.

I know i have to cut the pickguard and the bodyrouting (no problem) but what about the pickup screws? What is the center to center dimension on the pickupscrews of a P90 pickup?

Will it fit at all... or does it hit the volumecontrol?

My plan is to slant it like a regular singlecoil.

Any experience with this?

Michael

• Members

thanks for the replys.

I read the threads you linked to jerry, and while it provided much info, i still dont know if a dogear version will fit in the standard stratpickup screw layout

I just thought that it would be nice with a pickguard mounted p90 in a strat.

Can any of you guys tell me the center to center screw dimension of the dogearversion?

Otherwise i guess it is safer with the woodmounted version... like Mr Mow said... i dont want to foul up the knobs.

Michael

• Members

Hey Jerry

well im reading through all of that, and i see several times people are asking about mounting the dogearversion to the pickguard, but i dont see any definete answers! All the pictures and experiences are from people with the woodmounted soapbar version. plenty of info there.

All i want is to know, is if the distance between the screws in the dogear version, is the same as the standard stratpickup or not.

If its bigger it will hit the knob and that will not work... then i will go for the woodmounted version (as i said before i want to slant it), but for now i must confess that im missing something in your links, or im right and it doesnt say anywhere what im asking precisely regarding the dogear.

Sorry to go on about this, i appreciate your help.

Michael

• Members

Originally posted by Lund

Hey Jerry

well im reading through all of that, and i see several times people are asking about mounting the dogearversion to the pickguard, but i dont see any definete answers! All the pictures and experiences are from people with the woodmounted soapbar version. plenty of info there.

All i want is to know, is if the distance between the screws in the dogear version, is the same as the standard stratpickup or not.

If its bigger it will hit the knob and that will not work... then i will go for the woodmounted version (as i said before i want to slant it), but for now i must confess that im missing something in your links, or im right and it doesnt say anywhere what im asking precisely regarding the dogear.

Sorry to go on about this, i appreciate your help.

Michael

No, the distance between the screws on a P-90 is larger than the distance between the screws of a Strat pickup. In fact, a P-90 soapbar is wider than the screw spread of a Strat pickup, and the screw spread of a dogeared P-90 is even wider than that. Figure on putting the treble side screw of a dogear somewhere around where the volume control on a Strat normally is.

• Members

thanks man! do you think that the soapbar in the woodmounted version will fit then? slanted but without hitting the volumeknob.

The thing is i dont want to change the basic layout.

Thanks again.

Michael

• Members

thanks man! do you think that the soapbar in the woodmounted version will fit then? slanted but without hitting the volumeknob.

Thanks again.

Michael

Why is having a slanted bridge pickup so critical?

• Members

well, i got a measurement of the cover (soapbar) from the duncn page... it says 3.365.

that is really cutting it close to the volumeknob, perhaps almost to close to look nice if i keep the stock layout and knob... but of course i could change the knobs to something smaller.

Regards

Michael

• Members

Thanks again.

Michael

As said above, you might foul the volume knob's space. However, if you REALLY, REALLY want stock controls, you could probably get away with a dime-sized pot and Tele style knobs.

What I would suggest is going to seymourduncan.com and using the measurements that they list with each of their pickups. Then, if you have a stock Strat, measure that up. See how it works. A 12-inch ruler should work fine. :)

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Why is having a slanted bridge pickup so critical?

It is just a personal preference... i think it looks good:)

but as far as i see it it doesnt really change the problem, the spaceissue is the same.

But now that i started measuring i can see that putting smaller diameter knobs on would really help.

Michael

Archived