Musicians friend sucks!!!

chu2

• Members

I hate that thing.

ESPECIALLY considering they own GC.

It's the wal-mart of music stores.

Horrible.

Good selection, crappy service by college kids who don't know anything about guitar.

I walked in there once and a guy walks up to me and asks me if I need help and I tell him I'm just looking.

I start checking out some teles, strats, etc.

The dude walks up to me and asks me if there's anything I'm looking for.

I tell him I'm just looking for something to blow my christmas money one and, since I'm not old enough to be considered as an experienced guitarist, the dude tells me that the first thing I have to decide on is if I like the two-pickup gibson system or the three pickup fender system, while I'm standing right here staring at a DISTINCLY TWO-PICKUP FENDER TELECASTER.

I almost told him that I perfer two-pikcup telecasters and three-pickup Black Beauty 'Pauls, but I just walked out of the store.

Plus the smoke on the water playing over the din in that place was annoying the heck out of me.

So GC sucks, at least around here.

And I don't like MF becase they support GC.

:mad:

I'll be shopping at my tiny local store from now on, which I like much better.

Those guys actually somewhat know what they're talking about.

:cool:

• Members

I'm actually a Music123 fan. When I'm at a GC and don't want to be "bugged" I just tell them I'm picking up some picks and just looking. That usually sends 'em away.

Also...I must say, I have a salesguy-Dave at my local GC who's a fantastic guy. He knows his {censored}, he's mellow, not pushy, and hooks me up completely. I met him because I was interested in purchasing something at a "mega" sale price, but couldn't do it until the sale was over. Dave told me not to worry about it, he'd give me sales prices anytime. Since then, he's sold me everything at below online pricing...So finding a good, informed, trustable sales guy is a HUGE advantage.

Last thing...if anyone wants the location and full name of the sales guy, PM me. It's in the DC area...

(and no, it's not me or a friend...)

• Members

Originally posted by chu2

I hate that thing.

Horrible.

Good selection, crappy service by college kids who don't know anything about guitar.

I walked in there once and a guy walks up to me and asks me if I need help and I tell him I'm just looking.

I tell him I'm just looking for something to blow my christmas money one and, since I'm not old enough to be considered as an experienced guitarist, the dude tells me that the first thing I have to decide on is if I like the two-pickup gibson system or the three pickup fender system, while I'm standing right here staring at a DISTINCLY TWO-PICKUP FENDER TELECASTER.

I almost told him that I perfer two-pikcup telecasters and three-pickup Black Beauty 'Pauls, but I just walked out of the store.

Plus the smoke on the water playing over the din in that place was annoying the heck out of me.

oh wow man, like you are soooo cool

• Members

Originally posted by supercow3

You must be kidding right:freak:

Nope! I think that store is great, especially the one in Toronto on Bloor St.

I bought a bunch of stuff from there, and rented even more. Dirt cheap prices, and the guys behind the desk are all really laid back and helpful.

• Members

Originally posted by i51423

You could always the dude to go away and continue what you were doing.. works for me. Just don't expect to be able to ask too many questions.

why would he have to? sounds like he knows everything already

honestly, how pathetic are you that you have to constantly try to one-up a salesman at GC? it's just some guy doing a crappy job. and people like this make it crappier

• Members

MF is pretty good, they also get a bunch of exclusive items at great prices. If you boycott every company with stupid employees on the salesfloor, you might as well build yourself a cabin somewhere deep in the woods and avoid society:wave: Or you can get over yourself and just deal with it. Now theres a thought!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

why would he have to? sounds like he knows everything already

You raise a very good point.

Salesmen are salesmen. Some actually do learn about the product they are selling.. others don't. It should be obvious as to who will get more returning customers. It's a shame that not everyone learns the ins and outs of their products.

• Members

Originally posted by Buckethead2

226318.jpg
If Gibson likes M123 enough to give them exclusively this work of art, I love Music 123.

Man that's a sweet color.

One thing about GC that you shouldn't forget is the return policy-the two stores nearest me have a no refund policy-only exhanges. What other kind of store has that kind of crappy attitude toward their customers? At least GC takes stuff back kind of like Home Depot and Sears. Just don't ask anyone for advice (at Gc).

• Members

Every time I've been to GC I've had to deal with the same dumbass. I know a {censored}load more about {censored} than him but when I talk it confuses him. Do you have any 2006 Fender Standards in? Let me check he says. Dip{censored} comes back with a PRS SE with P90's. I flat out laughed and told him I was looking for the Fenders and he said he'd go look again. Then tells me he could have them in a week and asked my name, address, number. TOld him I wouldn't be back and he said he could ship it to me. Told him I ALWAYS play before I buy (totally not true) but he wasn't getting it. I finally just left even though I wanted to blow some money, I couldn't stand the dumb{censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by chu2

I hate that thing.

Horrible.

The Guitar Center here in Memphis has all educated experienced musicians working there. I went there a few weeks ago for the first time for a set of strings......it's close to the house, andstrings are strings. I never went there before because of their reputation for hiring idiots. I was taken completely off guard when I found that they actually knew their business! I talked to the manager and asked if he was hiring and talked to him about the service that I got.

Believe it ir not, this store hired all experienced musicians BECAUSE of the horrible reputation that GC has gotten over the years! The manager is an experienced musician which helps a lot in the hiring and firing around there.......LOL. He told me "Memphis has a lot of unemployed musicians so it was pretty easy to hire a decent staff" and laughed.

I thought that you would get a kick out of this!

• Members

I don't and never have had a problem with GC. When I go in there I've done my research and know what I want to buy. The only thing I need a salesman for is to ring me up. I find that for some things I can actually get a good price and for me their return policy is a huge plus.

I once bought a Variax at a local store and wasn't aware of the return policy, my own fault. The Variax took a {censored} on me and I decided it wasn't for me. Went to return it. Store credit only. Great. A $1000 store credit. So I like GC. I mean its kinda like some guys I know at work. They go to Fry's without doing their research and get talked into some bull{censored} compter product and then bitch when it's a complete piece of {censored}. Gonna trust technical advise from a guy working a minimum wage sales job? If he was joe tech he would probably be working in a.... tech job. :) Just tell me what isle the product I'm looking for is in.

• Members

Originally posted by septopus

Guitar Center here in Tucson and in Scottsdale has always been great, courteous, fairly knowledgable, good prices and great return policy.

I would never compare those two stores to any Wal-Mart I've been to.

I'm starting to see a pattern here............do you think that demographics have anything to do with it? I live in a city full of musicians out of work, thus the GC has a good staff? Is location that important?

• Members

i hate gc becuase they run out all the small shops in this area, not to mention the pinheads that for the most part think a wammy bar is thier privite parts. there is sometimes at least a one person who does play and might know something, i always just go there to check something out that i've thinking about buying, then go home turn on the old computer and buy it from ZZounds, theyv'e always been very good to me. nothing wrong with MF just like zzounds:freak: