bigsby on an ibanez

zilch42

• Members

i own an ibanez SZ320 and i'm thinking of putting a bigsby vabrato on it. im not terribly experienced in modding guitars so i'm wondering, is this a bad idea? is there anything i should be worried about? can anyone suggest a size that will fit my guitar and has anyone else put a bigsby on an SZ? any help would be great

• Members

I'm planning on putting a Bigsby on my Ibanez AR-250! :D

Truthfully, I don't know if one'll fit your SZ though... I think the bridge location is a bit too far back to fit either the B3 or B7, and it's not a flat-top, so it won't fit a B5 either.

I guess a B5 could work, but it all depends on how "carved" that carved top is. If it's got a relatively flat surface to screw into, the B5 could be an option.

• Members

For instance, a Les Paul (correct me if I'm wrong) fits a Bigsby B7 model, which is the longest... Note the location of the tune-o-matic bridge in front of the Bigs... it's pretty far from the butt of the guitar.

95487-3.jpg

Now, note the location of the bridge on the SZ...

SZ320BK.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by dougbeens

For instance, a Les Paul (correct me if I'm wrong) fits a Bigsby B7 model, which is the longest... Note the location of the tune-o-matic bridge in front of the Bigs... it's pretty far from the butt of the guitar.

95487-3.jpg

Now, note the location of the bridge on the SZ...

SZ320BK.jpg

If i'm not mistaken, the length of the B7 is just over seven inches. The space between the bar and the bridge should be roughly = to the space between a TOM and the tailpiece. That's about another inch, isn't it?

So to the OP - crack out the measuring tape.

Archived