What is "Tele" tone to you?

NoirAbattoir

• Members

I have heard teles with varying levels of twang. The best kind of tones I have heard have been like the Pretenders tele tone. A bit of twang, but very open sounding and very rock.

Most of the newer teles I have tried the past few years have been all twang, compression, and no rock.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have my 74/78 Tele. The bridge is so hot and crunchy you would almost think it was like a humbucker. Since I am a humbucker guy, I love the thing to death, but I have a feeling it really isn't that "tele" tone that people think of when they think of teles.

So what is "tele" tone? It's the Pretenders, isn't it?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

here's a list:-

1) long-scale tension that means you fight like a bastard to control anything higher than fret 12

2) confusing combination of a resonant body coupled with damping of a bolt-on neck

3) shining, shimmering open G chord with the bridge pick-up, if there is any feel of ice-pick here, you need to change the pick-up

4) your favourite guitar

• Members

Originally posted by waitrose

here's a list:-

1) long-scale tension that means you fight like a bastard to control anything higher than fret 12

2) confusing combination of a resonant body coupled with damping of a bolt-on neck

3) shining, shimmering open G chord with the bridge pick-up, if there is any feel of ice-pick here, you need to change the pick-up

4) your favourite guitar

have you had bad experiences with a bolt-on neck dampening the resonance of some guitars?

by the way im not picking an argument, just curious why you put it that way. ive had good and bad bolt ons as well as set necks/thrus. to me it matters more the quality of the joining much more than the method used, ive had some bolt-ons that just sustained forever and kept a nice transparent vibe going

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I have heard teles with varying levels of twang. The best kind of tones I have heard have been like the Pretenders tele tone. A bit of twang, but very open sounding and very rock.

The best sounding Tele (and probably guitar) I have ever played was a '67 Custom Shop Time Machine Reissue. I don't know the Pretenders well, but what you describe is what it sounded like - it had bite and twang, but it still sounded big and open it. Super clear and crisp sounding. It was awesome.

• Members

i think that a Gibson neck build is better, even though i prefer a Fender sound; i guess i'm gassing for a LP reissue right now because i think they combine the best of the two

what's the best bolt-on you've seen?

• Members

Originally posted by septopus

It's Led Zep's "How Many More Times".

Yeah, that's what my tele sounds like. I saw an old clip live the other day and it inspired me to crank up the JMP and wail out some old zeppelin on my tele. Those are great signature tele tones, but not really too twangy.

• Members
Originally posted by boyfarrell

Does nobody talk anymore? Do we just post youtube links!

I've been messing around with my tele today and came up with some really crunchy sounds. This is pushing a fender champ to the limits it really screams!

check out the the audio clips here:

http://www.boyfarrell.com/welcome.html#unique-entry-id-35

Cheers, Dan.

O.K.- listened to yours, sounds good- now go listen to youtube I posted and you'll hear why I posted it...:idea::thu:

Archived