Greg Bennett RL-3

joecool1963

• Members

Originally posted by joecool1963

I have looked at these for several years. I sold off enough gear to pay for some bills and had some coin left over. Pulled the trigger today. got a great deal...

rl3.jpg

Sweet looking guitar. Those are supposed to be very nice, how do you like it?

• Members

Auction closed today. Should have it some time next week I hope. The back of the guitar is one piece of magohogny, and the hollow part is carved out. It should be a great compliment to my Epiphone Elite Les Paul in terms of mixing in well. Im very pumped. full review once it arrives

• Members

I bought an AV-3 recently and love it. I have a real Gibson LP standard and it's not far off in feel and sound at all. It doesn't have the same build quality as the Gibson but it's not a POS and for $350 out the door you can't beat it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I have looked at these for several years. I sold off enough gear to pay for some bills and had some coin left over. Pulled the trigger today. got a great deal...

rl3.jpg

I owned a Samick acoustic electric that I gave to my brother, and I would strongly recommend staying away from them. They're not horrible guitars, but they're even lower quality than MIM Fenders.

• Members

Samick is a lot different company now than before they hired Greg Bennett. He has worked for several big guitar companies (Gibson, Washburn, Ovation, to name a few) before coming on board to redesign the Samick line.

I have a Samick MJ10CE acoustic which is my favorite acoustic, I like it so much better than the Larrivee' OM-02 I had that I sold the Larrivee'. I don't miss it at all.

I also have an AV-6 that I love, it's my go-to electric guitar. I couldn't be happier with it.

With Samick stuff, it just depends on what level of instrument series you pick up, some of them are entry level, some of them are truly professional quality.

• Members

Originally posted by Archdemon

I owned a Samick acoustic electric that I gave to my brother, and I would strongly recommend staying away from them. They're not
horrible
guitars, but they're even lower quality than MIM Fenders.

To expand upon this, the primary reason the Samick acoustic I owned sucked so badly was because of the fret and nut work. The nut was cut so {censored}ty on the high e string, it slipped off the fretboard constantly. In addition to this, the frets were cut so poorly, once the high e string would slip off the fretboard, it would get caught on the edge of the fifth fret. Plus there were a {censored} load of dead spots all over the entire fretboard, particularly somewhere between the 11th and 13th frets on the b, and high e strings. Considering I paid around $700 for the guitar, all of this was absolutely unacceptable. This is why I'd suggest steering clear of Samick. :D

• Members

Originally posted by cadfael

Those Royales are super guitars! I love mine. Vintage Clubber has one he did some neat mods to.

my ears were burning...:o

here's the before on my RL4 - cheesy, worn gold hardware & muddy Duncan Design versions of the JB/Jazz set...:o

P1010051.jpg

Heres the after - nickel hardware & cream pickup rings and pickguard, Kluson/TonePros Tuners, Kent Armstrong Kentron in the neck and Kent Armstrong Vintage 12 N in the bridge, Hovland Caps, upgraded switch and jack. I only ended up replacing one of the four pots because the pots were actually pretty decent.

P1010016.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by ss454

I bought an AV-3 recently and love it. I have a real Gibson LP standard and it's not far off in feel and sound at all. It doesn't have the same build quality as the Gibson but it's not a POS and for $350 out the door you can't beat it.

hi,

i have an av3 too...

not far off from a gibby eh... well never played a gibby before, pleased to hear that...

i paid only $180+ for it btw...

• Members

rl3.jpg

THAT is a beaut !!! :thu:

You RL guys (you, too VC !) keep on making me :cry: about selling off my RL-2 18 months ago...

Archived