strap button location - explorer

satannica

• Members

A mate of mine has an explorer clone. The manufacturer has put it on the top cutaway like here - right of the picture above the neck

ex55gold2.jpg

Anyway the guitar doesn't really sit right and apparently after checking out some gibsons, he reckons that moving the button to behind the neck would be a better option.

I'm inclined to agree. I can fill the hole it leaves in the top just fine, its just a black finish which I can touch up. Just two things:

- Is this the best location for this strap button.

- Whats the best drill bit to use to drill through the neck plate? Its a bolt on guitar.

You advice is greatly appreciated!

Jon

• Members

Unscrew one of the bolts that holds the neck on, enough so you can attach the strap to it. It should give you a bit better idea of how the guitar will balance before you attack it with a drill... :thu:

What make is it? Is it as heavy as a real Gibson Explorer?

• Members

The strap button on my Gibson Explorer was on the back of the neck. I hated it. One of the first things I did to it was put the strap button in a better location.

Guess where? Right where that one is in your picture. The key to making this work is to get a leather strap (I prefer Levy's, YMMV) with suede backing.

The guitar will stay exactly where you put it, and in my opinion hangs just fine.

• Members

Well he's just dropped the guitar over.

Why doesn't this arse ever have a full set of strings on his axe. I was really hoping for a wail. Dammit

But I see his point, its really uncomfortable with the strap pin there. This is mainly meant to be a riffer axe so the right hand position is very important! It just doesn't sit right there. Even with the leather strap.

So I'll start messing with it tomorrow. He needs it for saturday so need to get it working.

Jon

• Members

I can't understand why anyone would want the strap button on the heel of their guitar. The guitar leans away from you, and the strap button is in your palm when you play higher on the neck. What is wrong with the button on the shoulder? It works on the Les Paul. It works for me on both my Explorer and Flying V.

• Members

Gotta agree with Rich4 here. I hated the button on the back of my V and moved it to the side where it is much better. On the heel it get's in the way of upper fret access and it makes the guitar lean down and away from you. Explorer's and V's are a little neck heavy either way so might as well not have the thing in the way. YMMV.

• Members

I gotta say, it does sit better on the heal joint. That trick of moving the neck bolt out a little is diamond!!! *files it away under "Damn good ideas to use in future" file*

Well, ya never know - it could be different from guitar to guitar. I mean this particular explorer seems to be that touch bit thinner in width, I seem to remmeber my old Gibson Explorers being significantly wider, so it could be down to that.

The other strap button I reckon would be a nightmare if I moved it closed to the input jack.

I was thinking if its still an issue, just attach it to the back of the body right up towards the far left extremis (looking at that picture).

I remember I did this with my old washburn Paul Stanleys and it improved everything - playing position and balance too.

But I'll file that under "I'll think about it".

JOn

Archived