Whoa! Guitar Player Reviews Agile Harm 1 Semi-Hollow FG

fuzzy4dice

• Members

...and they wasn't all that nuts 'bout it!

Oh well...

Sorry, I can't provide a link, but I don't think Guitar Player posted it yet, and I'm not about the retype the article.

Mostly, they didn't like the pups and felt the guitar tone was "uninspiring". Bad intonation and hum.

But, they did think it was well-made for the scratch and that, with some upgrades, it would be good.

Thank You Captain Obvious!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i dont and have never owned an agile, so i am not defending them or kurt

but ah hell, who writes that {censored} anyway, besides, it's just one persons opinion, or 3-4 or whatever. those same people get to review $2000 guitars also.

thats why i never read those magazines

• Members

Well, I was just suprised to turn the page and see a nice big photo of an Agile Harm (with grubby finger smudges all over it too).

Anyway, if you can find the review online, and you own one, I'd like ot know how you felt about the review.

Also, I've always been a fan of Rono/Agile P-90's. I don't know where they get them or where they are from, but they are great. So, it's funny that they were specifically attacked.

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

any ads for Rondo in the issue?

Wait a minute JJ, are you suggesting that the guitar got a bad review because Rondo doesn't spend a huge wad of money advertising in the magazine?!? Does this mean that if you spend a lot of money advertising with them the reviews of your products will be better?!? :eek: That's rediculous.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Tweedledee

Wait a minute JJ, are you suggesting that the guitar got a bad review because Rondo doesn't spend a huge wad of money advertising in the magazine?!? Does this mean that if you spend a lot of money advertising with them the reviews of your products will be better?!?
:eek:
That's rediculous.

why, of course not - I'm noy suggesting anything, just asking an innocent question :evil:

I think I brought it up with the SJM review, which in no way reflected my experience with any of my SJMs or SX guitars at the time

however, I did later get a powder blue SJM57 (the model reviewed) and found it to not be at the same level of quality as my earlier ones -- not a major deal for me, since I am familiar with the model (as well as the reasonable expectations of the price range) and got it playing tip top in a night, but definitely made me feel a bit more open to the GP review - not a bad guitar, but not an out of the box player, either

• Members

Originally posted by Tweedledee

Wait a minute JJ, are you suggesting that the guitar got a bad review because Rondo doesn't spend a huge wad of money advertising in the magazine?!? Does this mean that if you spend a lot of money advertising with them the reviews of your products will be better?!?
:eek:
That's rediculous.

The guitar world desperately needs a "Consumer Reports" of guitars and gear.

One that used truely analytical measurements and that was unjaundiced by the acceptance of advertising dollars.

Problem with that is-

No musician could afford a subscription to a magazine that doesn't accpet ad money. :D

But sincerely, I do have a hard time with the guitar magazine gear reviews. It a fine art to try to read between the lines, if it's even there, to decide what they think about a piece of gear. You have to almost look for what they don't say rather than what they do say to find the critical review.

And then when they starting using odd metaphors to describe the "sound", I'm lost.

The last guitar review I read said the sound was "smokey".

Okay, maybe I can guess what that means. It means that big bears that don't like fires will LOVE that axe.:D

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

And then when they starting using odd metaphors to describe the "sound", I'm lost.

The last guitar review I read said the sound was "smokey".

Okay, maybe I can guess what that means. It means that big bears that don't like fires will LOVE that axe.

:D:thu:

• Members

i trust the reviews here at HC more than anyone who writes for a magazine like that. personally a review from a an unknown face will always be just that. I could care less if the world's best player likes a particular guitar, that doesn't reflect what I will be able to get out of it. A review from a friend you know is worth more, but so much about a guitar is personal preference there is no substitute for holding and playing the exact guitar you are going to buy. This is where rondo and kurt are kings. Their customer servce and return policy should be a benchmark for online retailers. At least in my mind there is no better place to buy a guitar.

• Members

Not that I noticed, big man!

However, it is still entirely possible that the reviewer didn't like the guitar.

I'm just sayin'! I know what you mean, but there are three sides to every story.

Y'now?

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

Not that I noticed, big man!

However, it is still entirely possible that the reviewer didn't like the guitar.

I'm just sayin'! I know what you mean, but there are three sides to every story.

Y'now?

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

I write for a few magazines (big ones, but not guitar-related) and you're just silly if you don't think this goes on.

OTOH, a good writer will let you know what's up one way or the other...

Larry

Oh, I think it goes on. I'm just sayin' that I think it's possible the guy got a dud too.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

Oh, I think it goes on. I'm just sayin' that I think it's possible the guy got a dud too.

or for that matter, maybe he got the best one ever made and just didn't like it - who knows? I look forward to the reading the review, though

• Members

I forget all the details, but a few months ago a read a GP review of the Boss GT-8 where the reviewer apparently took the unit, stock, off to a gig and it worked amazingly. They guy parctically had no reservations about the unit, He didn't even seem to get much into programing it. The review just struck me as a very superficial piece of bull{censored}. I'm sure Boss/Roland helps keep that mag in business.

• Members

I will revoice my constant offer to anyone from HC to post reviews or complaints about ANY GUITAR PLAYER review at the GP Forums (www.guitarplayer.com).

Subjective opinions aside, we are work hard to produce the most comprehensive gear reviews in the guitar-mag industry. If anyone has constructive, well-presented, and well-researched info on where we might have blown a review, we'd LOVE to hear from you. The process of checks and balances between our editors and the greater community of readers helps ensure our credibility and promotes trust. We always listen to cogent criticisms, and we always learn from any poor observations, non-market appropriate commentary, or outright mistakes we may have made.

The next move is yours, gang.

Looking forward to some lively discussions.

All the Best,

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by seaofstrings

i dont and have never owned an agile, so i am not defending them or kurt

but ah hell, who writes that shit anyway, besides, it's just one persons opinion, or 3-4 or whatever. those same people get to review $2000 guitars also.

thats why i never read those magazines

but...if guitar player says it is bad

IT HAS TO BE BAD!!!!!11

• Members

Originally posted by gpeditor

I will revoice my constant offer to anyone from HC to post reviews or complaints about ANY GUITAR PLAYER review at the GP Forums (
www.guitarplayer.com
).

Subjective opinions aside, we are work hard to produce the most comprehensive gear reviews in the guitar-mag industry. If anyone has constructive, well-presented, and well-researched info on where we might have blown a review, we'd LOVE to hear from you. The process of checks and balances between our editors and the greater community of readers helps ensure our credibility and promotes trust. We always listen to cogent criticisms, and we always learn from any poor observations, non-market appropriate commentary, or outright mistakes we may have made.

All the Best,

Mike

I don't know, Mr. M., I'm kinda with you guys on this one.

Why is it so impossible that an Agile might not be a great guitar?

It's kind of a "might get what you wish for" situation. We're always bugging and bitching out Mr. Molenda for the candy-assed GP reviews. So, finally they come out with a thoughtful, but hard and almost negative review of a guitar, and what do we do?

But, it's an Agile...a gasp is heard throughout the HC community.

• Members

Originally posted by gpeditor

I will revoice my constant offer to anyone from HC to post reviews or complaints about ANY GUITAR PLAYER review at the GP Forums (
www.guitarplayer.com
).

All the Best,

Mike

The only problem I've ever had with any of your reviews, is that you don't set it up prior to testing it.

Needs a setup? Do so, and then comment that in the review. Doesn't need a setup? fine, comment that too.

But at least do it, so it gives a fair representation of the guitar.

As was said in another thread about this review: it's akin to a car reviewer saying "The car just died. We're not sure if it's because it ran out of gas or the engine broke".

It's kind of a good idea to figure that out.

Looking at your review, I don't know if I should buy the guitar knowing that it needs a $45 set up, or if I'll be blowing $299 because it will never, ever intonate properly.

• Members

Originally posted by Polaris20

The only problem I've ever had with any of your reviews, is that you don't set it up prior to testing it.

Needs a setup? Do so, and then comment that in the review. Doesn't need a setup? fine, comment that too.

As was said in another thread about this review: it's akin to a car reviewer saying "The car just died. We're not sure if it's because it ran out of gas or the engine broke".

Looking at your review, I don't know if I should buy the guitar knowing that it needs a $45 set up, or if I'll be blowing $299 because it will never, ever intonate properly.

you do not know either way whether or not the guitar was set up prior to the review by Rondo, prior to the review by GP, or not set up by anyone at all. you're assuming GP is somehow at fault by saying "it needs a setup". well, maybe that's a nice way of saying "this thing plays like {censored}". i'd put money on that guitar being set up by SOME party after it came out of the box from the factory.

• Members

Originally posted by Polaris20

I think that's all perfectly reasonable, and the last point is especially important. Is it a $300 guitar that feels cheap, or that will always remind you it was only $300? Or is it possible to make it into something good/great with a little effort?

As gets metioned around here quite a bit, go into GC (and many other music stores) and the guitars on the walls have horrible setups, and have been bashed about by the drooling masses for who knows how long. It's tough to judge something until you see it at it's best.

Archived