GFS memphis pickup review

tennisdude

• Members

just installed this pickup (bridge position) in my AFS75t ibanez artcore hollow body guitar. Installing it was a HUGE pain in the ass (never do work on these guitars yourself... ever :mad: )

Anyway, this pickup has a very low output compared to any pickups i've worked with (it should, its modeled after old school rickenbacker low output pups), but it does the job well. very jangly, nice shimmery highs. i can totally nail the beatles with this thing, which is a huge plus :thu:

all in all, very happy with the pup, not to mention the fact that it came within 3 days of me having clicked the order button. thank you GFS, will do business again with you in the future !

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by roygbiv

Good report, tennisdude. Do you have any experience with GFS Dream 90s? Was wondering how the Memphis pups compare to the Dream 90s...

I have Dream 90s in an SG clone. They are close, but not exactly like real P-90s.

I have Memphis in my Epi LP. As tennisdude says, the Memphis are more jangly, probably more so in his artcore than in an LP.

I think the Dream 90s are a good fit for an SG type guitar. They do a good approximation of Who sounds.

I was trying to get close to a mini-humbucker sound by installing the Memphis in my LP. It's fairly close, but not quite there. It will have to do until I can afford an LP Deluxe.

I have Dream 180s in my AF75t. I like the way they sound in there. Like the Website says, somewhere between a Filtertron and a PAF.

Boy, I am starting to sound like a GFS ad. But for the money, I think you would be hard pressed to find cooler sounding pickups.

YMMV.

• Members

I had Dream 90s in a Squier Fat Strat. Nice tone. Shares characteristics of both P90s and HBs, but not quite like either.

I am considering putting GFS Fat PAFs in an SG clone. Does have any comments about the Fat PAFs?

• Members

Y'know I was just thinking about that exact same mod for my AFST Artcore. I like one of the stock pickups on it, but not so much the other. Would it be a good idea to just replace the one I don't like, or would a mismatched set of pickups be a bad idea?

• Members

Tennisdude.. I have had 4 different types of GFS in 4 different guitars.. I found the Dream 90's,Premium Alnico Staggered, and HOT Alnico staggered pickups all to be quite low output.. The hot PAF I bought was a powerful pickup.. and I still have the guitar I put it in...

The other GFS 3 pickup sets I have owned were quite low output and I wound up selling the guitars after installing them.. That may piss some people off, but it was true in my case, and I have heard from others saying some GFS pickups are not very high output.. not bad mind you.. just not very powerful....

• Members

Yeah, the Memphis are really low output, but they are desinged that way. I put some in my Jagmaster, with great results. The Duncan Designed 103's that came in it (based on Distortions) were really mid heavy with a good crunch but ice-picky highs and boomy bass. Not the sound I want out of a Jazz-shaped guitar. The Memphis really opened it up with a smooth, full-bodied jangle...they really make the most of that big slab of alder.

That said, I wouldn't suggest pairing a Memphis with any other pickup, unless you don't plan on using both together. Its output is that low. I'd guess between 5-7k, but they don't sound weak like cheap low output pickups. I like 'em a lot.

Archived