blade guitars?!? SWISS GUITARS?!?!

seifukusha

• Members

The old made in Europe Blade guitars were pretty darned nice. Great, well made axes, but I think a lot of people were put off by the electroncs with weren't exactly "vintage" sounding.

The asian budget ones are decent guitars, typically asian imports

• Members

The Blades I've encountered have been excellent guitars. Much of the range are "modern"-type Strats - many of them are bridge-humbucker style (yuck!) too. They do have a number of vintage-type models now, though.... One I remember in particular called somethingl ike the Texas Standard - all the traditional Strat sounds in there, plus some nice active tones - flexible instrument. Around the same price as a Fender MIM Std.

• Members

I have one of the first Blades - a R4 (NOT RH4, often mentionned as "the first Blade" but it's wrong, there was the R4 before!) bought in '87 - '88 (they were more expensive than the US strats then!). Those were made in Swiss, then relocated to Japan (where the high end is still produced, while the less expensive models are MIK).

Great guitar, ebony fretboard, Sperzel tuners (first guitar with those tuners), Falcon double-action vibrato, great onboard electronic. The only weak point were the stock pickups, too bland (but designed as is, to complement the active electronic). I replaced them with Lace sensor Hot gold.

levinsonblader4068bl.jpg

levinsonblader4107ar.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

i found one from the 80s a strat. looked ok but i couldnt play it. anyone ever seen these? are they decent?

sei

If it's a Swiss one, it is probably excellent. In my last band, the other guitarist had one as his main guitar and it was a seriously nice piece of kit.

As others have stated it was a modern take on a Strat with a S/S/H configuration, some nifty electrics and a unique split bridge trem block so that snapping a string would not knock you out of tune.

Wasn't for me as I'm not the biggest Strat fan but it was a quality guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by Minnie The Moocher

I have one of the first Blades - a R4 (NOT RH4, often mentionned as "the first Blade" but it's wrong, there was the R4 before!) bought in '87 - '88 (they were more expensive than the US strats then!). Those were made in Swiss, then relocated to Japan (where the high end is still produced, while the less expensive models are MIK).

Great guitar, ebony fretboard, Sperzel tuners (first guitar with those tuners), Falcon double-action vibrato, great onboard electronic. The only weak point were the stock pickups, too bland (but designed as is, to complement the active electronic). I replaced them with Lace sensor Hot gold.

levinsonblader4068bl.jpg
levinsonblader4107ar.jpg

a friend of mine has this exact guitar.

Archived