Les Paul Classic Issue

jonb11

• Members

If anyone could help with this I would be greatly appreciated. I have a Les Paul Classic 1960 re-issue. Got the guitar setup by a pro. Seemed fine, until I bought lock tuners. Once those were installed, I am having a strange issue. Certain chords and notes sound flat. At first, I thought it was an intonation issue. Re-intonated it at the 12th fret and open. However, certain things just sound out of tune (usually chords above the 12th fret). I don't get it. No one can seem to give me an answer. Ive tried lowering the pick ups. I use DRs 12-52s. Even tried wrapping the strings around the bridge. Not sure what else I can do. On any other guitar everything sounds perfect. Something is def weird, and Im not sure if the lock tuners could have caused this or not? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

That sounds like a possible neck twist. If you're not sure what you're looking for when sighting down a neck then take it to a good shop. Be forewarned, a neck twist could get expensive. You're looking at either having the neck wood staightened, which doesn't guarantee the twist won't return, or some extensive fret work. I hope my diagnosis is wrong. If the guitar is under warrantee then try to get Gibson to give you a new guitar (assuming new tuners doesn't violate the warrantee).

• Members
Originally posted by jonb11

If anyone could help with this I would be greatly appreciated. I have a Les Paul Classic 1960 re-issue. Got the guitar setup by a pro. Seemed fine, until I bought lock tuners. Once those were installed, I am having a strange issue. Certain chords and notes sound flat. At first, I thought it was an intonation issue. Re-intonated it at the 12th fret and open. However, certain things just sound out of tune (usually chords above the 12th fret). I don't get it. No one can seem to give me an answer. Ive tried lowering the pick ups. I use DRs 12-52s. Even tried wrapping the strings around the bridge. Not sure what else I can do. On any other guitar everything sounds perfect. Something is def weird, and Im not sure if the lock tuners could have caused this or not? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe the action is too high? If the strings are too high, it can work like bending the strings a bit when you fret something higher up on the fretboard. That would tend to make something sound sharp, rather than flat, but it's just a suggestion.

Just trade it in on a good ol' Rondo. :thu:

• Members

Are the new tuners significantly higher or lower than the stockers were? Could be not enough downward pressure on the nut, which may (I suppose?) be more noticeable on certain notes...

To test, wrap the strings DOWNWARD from the post hole (if that's even possible with the Planet Waves) to get a greater break angle over the nut.

HTH,

Larry

• Members

Nope, same strings and guage as always. As for the neck twist, it looks fine from what I can tell. Also the lock tuners seem to sit at the same height as the original tuners. I think Im going to have to bring it to another pro and see if they can shed any light on it. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again!

• Members

Here are some ideas.

1. It may be in your playing technique. You may inadvertently be putting pressure on the neck with your left hand when you hit chords.

2. You may be pushing way too hard on the strings against the fretboard--especially with .012's.

3. The shop that installed your tuners damaged the neck somehow.

4. The pickups are too high.

5. The frets were misaligned from the factory.

6. The shop that did your setup put too much neck relief.

7. The shop that did your setup didn't recut the nut for the .012's.

8. You have buyer's remorse and you are hearing things that aren't there.

9. You regret messing up a perfectly good guitar by installing crappy Planet Waves tuners.

• Members

Here are some ideas.

1. It may be in your playing technique. You may inadvertently be putting pressure on the neck with your left hand when you hit chords.
I've been playing guitar for 7 years, so I don't think it's my technique.

2. You may be pushing way too hard on the strings against the fretboard--especially with .012's.
Again, playing technique.

3. The shop that installed your tuners damaged the neck somehow.
That's what I am thinking.

4. The pickups are too high.
I posted earlier that I lowered my pick ups (almost flush).

5. The frets were misaligned from the factory.
Guitar played fine until the tuners were put on.

6. The shop that did your setup put too much neck relief.
Another good point.

7. The shop that did your setup didn't recut the nut for the .012's.
Another possibilty.

8. You have buyer's remorse and you are hearing things that aren't there.
Um, no?

9. You regret messing up a perfectly good guitar by installing crappy Planet Waves tuners.
I've used planet waves on other guitars, and they work and soung great. A real convenience when you're on the road.

Archived