ibanez SZ - japan vs korean made?

ledzep_freak

• Members

Please share any experience with quality of ibanez guitars made in Japan vs Korean makes.

The reason I'm asking is that I already own a Japanees made Ibanez Blazer I bought in 1996.. It's a fine guitar and I'm pretty much happy with the way it sounds. But over the years i grew weary of it's sparkly blue body and maple neck.

So i'm thinking about buying an Ibanez (again :) ) SZ720FM... It's made in korea and I wonder if it would be a actually a down grade for me...

Is there a huge difference in the quality between the japan and Korean makes?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by ledzep_freak

[b

So i'm thinking about buying an Ibanez (again
:)
) SZ720FM... It's made in korea and I wonder if it would be a actually a down grade for me...

The SZ series are made at the World Musical Instruments factory, one of the premier Korean builders. The consistency in the SZ series has become a major selling-point for those who own an SZ and are looking for other guitars. I've yet to read a bad review of the SZ720, while reading numerous reviews by people who picked one up in a music store and were surprised by the quality.

I've had my SZ720 for over a year. I like it so much I ordered the prestige model, the SZ2020. By the end of the year I'll probably buy an SZ520 as well, just to have three good guitars that will last awhile, and so as to not wear the frets on one of them out in a year or so by playing on it exclusively.

The finish on my 720 was flawless, as was the binding work. The only flaw mine had was at the last fret; the end was overbeveled, obviously due to cover some inadvertent damage incurred during the fret finishing. It's no big deal, just an oddity.

The fretwork overall is stellar. I checked mine fret for fret with a straightedge and it's very good, with only a couple of very minor high spots that have no effect on playability. If you were to check a Gibson, Fender, or Carvin, you'd probably be shocked at how poor the fret work is compared to an SZ.

The only issue on the 2004 models were the pickups, which were changed in 2005 to Duncan-designed pickups, and getting good reviews. The electronics were installed cleanly, and the control cavity shielded with shielding paint.

When I swapped the pickups out I noticed the neck was glued in deep, past the first pickup cavity. The top is a 3/8" solid piece of maple with an 1/8" flame veneer glued to it.

What I like the most about the SZ models is the neck profile. It's 2-1/4" at the last fret--nice and wide--and chunky at the first few frets for chord work, but thinner up top for lead work. The thickness of the neck at the 1st fret is .825", and .900" at the 12th fret.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

All my Ibanez guitars are korean from my first RG470, to my SA160, to my SZ320 and my current 4020. They're all comparable to guitars costing 3times as much.

I've played a Japanese Jem and can't see any glaring differences. The quality is the same. I do have a Japanese made Epi Elite Les Paul Custom which was also made with exceptional quality but the Korean ones are still at par.

• Members

I love my SZ520. Great guitar. Not a flaw to be found. Looks and plays excellent.

As a side note, I also have an Ibanez ARC300....Chinese made. Again, excellent. Looks and plays great. Not a flaw.

I truly believe a guitar can be made in any country. Ultimately, it's going to come down to Quality Control.

• Members

Getting used to my SZ320MH and so far everything is immaculate on it. Except for the tone knob being a bit off kilter -- but that is probably due more to the store ... but no other issues. I am not as particular as some other posters it seems, but I was able to gig with the guitar 2 days after picking it up and not much time getting used to it. The mahogany body and string thru set up is really a hot looking guitar.

• Members

I have the SZ520QM and it is one outstanding guitar. It is one of the very few guitars I have that I haven't had a list of modifications I want to perform. The only issue with mine is that, when it arrived, there was some polish residue (white stuff) on the fretboard. I clean and oiled the fretboard and viola'.... perfect.

• Members

I love my SZ's! I have a 520 and a 2020. I don't play metal anymore so the 2020 may get a pickup change soon. I think some unpotted SD Seth Lovers would kill on this guitar. Anybody want to buy the SD/Ibanez set? Regarding MIK vers MIJ, I traded a MIA G&L for my 2020. It is that freekin good!

prestigebody022wk.jpg

• Members

I love my SZ320mh....even with the old stock pickups! I have yet to think about replacing them. I'm seriously considering trading in some gear on either the 2020 or the 4020. Awesome axes. QC is top notch...rivals that of American made, mass produced guit's as of late.

You can't go wrong with an SZ IMO....

Brandon

• Members

Originally posted by ledzep_freak

Please share any experience with quality of ibanez guitars made in Japan vs Korean makes.

The reason I'm asking is that I already own a Japanees made Ibanez Blazer I bought in 1996.. It's a fine guitar and I'm pretty much happy with the way it sounds. But over the years i grew weary of it's sparkly blue body and maple neck.

So i'm thinking about buying an Ibanez (again
:)
) SZ720FM... It's made in korea and I wonder if it would be a actually a down grade for me...

To sum it up, Korean = shit, Japanese = ownage. :wave:

Archived