No announcement yet.

ibanez SZ - japan vs korean made?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibanez SZ - japan vs korean made?

Please share any experience with quality of ibanez guitars made in Japan vs Korean makes.

The reason I'm asking is that I already own a Japanees made Ibanez Blazer I bought in 1996.. It's a fine guitar and I'm pretty much happy with the way it sounds. But over the years i grew weary of it's sparkly blue body and maple neck.

So i'm thinking about buying an Ibanez (again ) SZ720FM... It's made in korea and I wonder if it would be a actually a down grade for me...

Is there a huge difference in the quality between the japan and Korean makes?

not really, the quality of Korean guitars is definitely much much higher as of lately.

I still think if you want an absolutely flawless production guitar, you cant beat MIJ though..
    TAKE THAT MANDY MOORE!
    and rogue agent of the SG Army
    Uberschall Uber Alles

Comment

Originally posted by No Soul
      I still think if you want an absolutely flawless production guitar, you cant beat MIJ though..

+1

Comment

All my Ibanez guitars are korean from my first RG470, to my SA160, to my SZ320 and my current 4020. They're all comparable to guitars costing 3times as much.

I've played a Japanese Jem and can't see any glaring differences. The quality is the same. I do have a Japanese made Epi Elite Les Paul Custom which was also made with exceptional quality but the Korean ones are still at par.

Comment

I love my SZ520. Great guitar. Not a flaw to be found. Looks and plays excellent.

As a side note, I also have an Ibanez ARC300....Chinese made. Again, excellent. Looks and plays great. Not a flaw.

I truly believe a guitar can be made in any country. Ultimately, it's going to come down to Quality Control.

Comment

Getting used to my SZ320MH and so far everything is immaculate on it. Except for the tone knob being a bit off kilter -- but that is probably due more to the store ... but no other issues. I am not as particular as some other posters it seems, but I was able to gig with the guitar 2 days after picking it up and not much time getting used to it. The mahogany body and string thru set up is really a hot looking guitar.
            “Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you’ll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world” – Julius Schwartz

Comment

I have the SZ520QM and it is one outstanding guitar. It is one of the very few guitars I have that I haven't had a list of modifications I want to perform. The only issue with mine is that, when it arrived, there was some polish residue (white stuff) on the fretboard. I clean and oiled the fretboard and viola'.... perfect.

Comment

I love my SZ's! I have a 520 and a 2020. I don't play metal anymore so the 2020 may get a pickup change soon. I think some unpotted SD Seth Lovers would kill on this guitar. Anybody want to buy the SD/Ibanez set? Regarding MIK vers MIJ, I traded a MIA G&L for my 2020. It is that freekin good!

PpP

Harry: What's that sound?
                Marv: That was the sound of a tool chest falling down the stairs.
                Harry: Oh.

roygbiv on Me'Shell Ndegeocello:

"How dare you bring up a musician who isn't a crusty old classic rock guitar player, a blues player, or a dood who brings the brootalz!

This is a dark day on HCEG."

"It's like a perfect storm of fail." - etawful

Comment

Here's my SZ4020 its korean made.

Comment

I have a 2020 and a 4020, and they are the best guitars I have ever owned.
                    List of gear:
                    Ibanez SZ520QM
                    Ibanez SZ2020FM
                    Ibanez SZ4020FM
                    2 Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Faded cherry.
                    ESP H-400
                    ESP H-302
                    ESP Eclipse II Standard (4 knob version)
                    PODX3 bean
                    POD HD500
                    Schecter C-1 30th Anniversary
                    Schecter Exotic Prototype 1 of 2 made
                    Schecter Exotic Prototype 2 of 2 made

Comment

I love my SZ320mh....even with the old stock pickups! I have yet to think about replacing them. I'm seriously considering trading in some gear on either the 2020 or the 4020. Awesome axes. QC is top notch...rivals that of American made, mass produced guit's as of late.

You can't go wrong with an SZ IMO....

Brandon
                      ------------
                      Great transactions with : Used666, Joeguitar717

Comment

Originally posted by ledzep_freak
                        Please share any experience with quality of ibanez guitars made in Japan vs Korean makes.

The reason I'm asking is that I already own a Japanees made Ibanez Blazer I bought in 1996.. It's a fine guitar and I'm pretty much happy with the way it sounds. But over the years i grew weary of it's sparkly blue body and maple neck.

So i'm thinking about buying an Ibanez (again ) SZ720FM... It's made in korea and I wonder if it would be a actually a down grade for me...

Is there a huge difference in the quality between the japan and Korean makes?

To sum it up, Korean = ****************, Japanese = ownage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonnilon

To sum it up, Korean = ****************, Japanese = ownage.

Shut up.
                          Originally posted by batotman
                          You only have one guitar???

Proud member of the rockin' Mazi Bee Ass Kickin' Militia

Member: OFFICIAL Bad Monkey Club
                          PartsplayerPlatoon

Comment

Originally posted by bumrunner

Shut up.

No thank you.

Comment

I have a SZ and it's a wonderful instrument! I also have an older, Korean made Ibanez AS80 (335) that is a better made & sounding guitar than the 335 I had in the 80's.
                              Real Men Play Telecasters!

Were you doing better when "rich" people were makin' money, OR are you better off now?

Fuchs ODS 30, BadCat HC15, 63' Fender Blackface Bandmaster, Mesa-Boogie Mark, Mesa-Boogie Tremoverb, Mesa-boogie Heartbreaker, MusicMan 112RD

Comment

Working...
                              X