where can I get push-push pots?

jjpistols

• Members

The push/push pots that Eldery sells suck major balls. The pins are so freakin tiny they are nearly impossible to solder anything on to them unless you shrink yourself with a shrink-ray or have a team of tiny elves to do it for you. (I had a hard time anyway.)

Then I found some others that were bigger and easier to install and they failed within a month or two. (mechanical switch failure) I would avoid push/push pots altogether and get the tried and true push/pull.

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

The push/push pots that Eldery sells suck major balls. The pins are so freakin tiny they are nearly impossible to solder anything on to them unless you shrink yourself with a shrink-ray or have a team of tiny elves to do it for you. (I had a hard time anyway.)

Then I found some others that were bigger and easier to install and they failed within a month or two. (mechanical switch failure) I would avoid push/push pots altogether and get the tried and true push/pull.

{censored}. Thanks for raining on my parade.

I have a big magnifying glass. I'll give Elderly a shot.

• Members

i installed many a push/push pot over the years. i also managed to destroy every last one of them in a short period of time before finally going back to push/pull pots.

i recommend if you use a push/push, ONLY use it with a knob that uses a set screw to tighten it to the shaft. do not use it with friction fit fender or gibson style(speed, bonnet, barrel, etc) plastic knobs. in my experience with these, the very first time i needed to remove that knob, i ended up popping the delicate C-washer which holds the spring mechanism together. it cannot be fixed and the switch is rendered completely useless. well, there is one cool thing you can do with the busted ones - ground out the down(closed) position and you get a cool momentary kill switch for buckethead type stutter sounds- i certainly did that a few times.

again, this is not a prob with a set-screw type knob, but i concluded these push/push pots pretty much suck!

• Members

Originally posted by mikeSF

in my experience with these, the very first time i needed to remove that knob, i ended up popping the delicate C-washer which holds the spring mechanism together.

Not to be an annoying bastard, but couldn't you have just pulled the knob with the shaft in the up position?

The caveat is definitely noted, though, and you have my gratitude for it.

• Members

Originally posted by Suspicious Mail

Not to be an annoying bastard, but couldn't you have just pulled the knob with the shaft in the up position?

The caveat is definitely noted, though, and you have my gratitude for it.

nothing annoying about your comment at all. in fact, whether you pull the knob off from the down or up position, the little retainer washer is just too weak to take any pulling, and pops out.

• Members

nothing annoying about your comment at all. in fact, whether you pull the knob off from the down or up position, the little retainer washer is just too weak to take any pulling, and pops out.

Crap. :(

Well, if I end up needing to pull those knobs I'll be extra careful. And thanks again for the heads up on that.

*edit* Wait a minute, WTF am I thinking? I did pull those knobs just a few weeks ago when I swapped out the bells I had on there for tophats. :freak:

No problems there, either.

I'm not sure what brand of pot that is, though, since the guitar in question is a semi- hollow and I paid to have the work done rather than putting myself through that hell without the tools.

If I happen to think about it tomorrow, I'll give that guy a call and see what pots he used.

• Members

I agree, those push/push pots are fragile, another reason I don't like em.

• Members

SuspiciousMail,

did you say you have 'em in your Sheraton II? there aren't many switching pots that will fit into that narrow F-hole.

i had a Sheraton also, and ended up cutting a slight bit of wood away at the F-hole to get the push/push pot to squeeze through. i was stumped and that was my only solution. what was your tactic?

• Members

what was your tactic?

Simple: buy my way out. Like I said, I paid a guy to go through the pain for me. ;)

I was worried about it for a minute, but he actually showed me how the pot slipped right through the wide part of the f- hole. Could be the Sheraton II has a little more wiggle room there than the Sheraton, I don't know.

Like I said, if this thread's still on page one tomorrow (or I happen to think about it) I'll give that guy a call and find out what brand of pot he used. I asked him at the time and it wasn't anything I'd heard of (ie, not CT or Alpha), but I can't remember offhand what it was.

Archived