How to Stop Tarnishing of Gold Hardware on Les Paul??

MegaMustaine

• Members

Hey. I have an Epiphone Les Paul, which has gold pickups. Recently, i've noticed that on the edge of the bridge pickup nearest to me, ther is a little small area of where the gold is gone. Also on my tune o matic, a little is gone.

on the pickup, the area where the gold is gone is kind of pinkish. On the tune o matic(the bridge) it is silverish.

What Can i do to stop this?

I would take pictures, but I tried and coudln't get very close due to my bad camera not focusing.

• Members

Originally posted by MegaMustaine

So theres nothing I can do to stop it?

Dang.

Can I buy like a gold pickup cover from anywhere, and slap it on mine?

you could, and then continue doing it every year or so

or you could replace everything with nickel or chrome

or you could leave it

• Members

When I opened the thread and saw "Epiphone" I went "Ah hah!"

Gibson goldplated hardware is really pretty durable, but not so much on imported guitars.

I used to have a Fender MIJ Tele Custom where the gold plating tarnished at an incredibly fast pace. Trying to polish it, just removed it faster.

1) "Bless it and forgive it" ... Worn plating looks kinda cool in a relic'd sort of way.

2) As stated above, you could buy aftermarket pickup covers and hope the plating is better than on the OEM. By why bother. Epi's are meant to be played not polished.

• Members

Originally posted by MegaMustaine

Yeah, but I'm looking to sell it, so I think I may have to buy two durable gold covers to put on it.

I hope it doesn't cost much, and is easy to do.

I think they are "stuck on there" pretty good.

Maybe you should start another thread on "how to remove pickup covers". I'm sure some folks here have done this before.

Just make sure you get some "quality" parts on your replacements to make it worth your while.

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Bridge-position-PIckup-Cover---Gold-i230116.music

But yeah, on the Fender I was talking about, the plating was coming on within "hours" of play, not even "days" of play. Besides that, it was a great guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I think they are "stuck on their" pretty good.

Maybe you should start another thread on "how to remove pickup covers". I'm sure some folks here have done this before.

Just make sure you get some "quality" parts on your replacements to make it worth your while.

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Bridge-position-PIckup-Cover---Gold-i230116.music

But yeah, on the Fender I was talking about, the plating was coming on within "hours" of play, not even "days" of play. Besides that, it was a great guitar.

I took the pickup covers off my Epi

it was a bitch, then i took the wax off too, that was a bitch as well

P7110001.jpg

Archived