Correct Pedal order?

IRG

• Members

Hey all, I'm getting a few new pedals soon, and I want to see what the "preferred" order of redal placement will be, among those who use multiple pedals. Here is what I have/will be having:

From the guitar, I will go first into a:

1) wah pedal, then to the

2) multiple distorion/overdrive pedals (4 in all), then

3) compressison/sustain, then

4) equalizer, finally to a

5) Digitech RP-80 (mostly for its noise gate, and various phaser, auto wah and other effects I will use ocassionally)

Into the amp (clean setting)

Does this make sense? What other order would you suggest. I will of course play around with it, but thought some additional tips would be helpful. Cheers.

• Members

I'm thinking that traditional wisdom would be to place them thusly....

1. Wah
2. EQ
3. Compressor
4. OD's
5. RP80

General rule of thumb (which can always be broken)..

1. Volume/Wah
2. EQ
3. Compression/ODs
4. noise gates
5. time fx (echos, delays)

However - YMMV - but this is a good starting point.

• Members

Thanks guys, kinda comfirms about what I thought, and I will try some of the other suggestions here as well. I'm also trying out one of those 1 Spot connection devices so I can hook up multiple pedals without using 9v batteries or a bunch of separate wal warts. SHould make things easier.

• Members
Originally posted by IRG

From the guitar, I will go first into a:

1) wah pedal, then to the

2) multiple distorion/overdrive pedals (4 in all), then

4 overdrives, WTF? That just might be a LITTLE bit excessive, eh? :freak:

3) compressison/sustain, then

4) equalizer, finally to a

I'd go EQ into comp.

5) Digitech RP-80 (mostly for its noise gate, and various phaser, auto wah and other effects I will use ocassionally)

Better yet, sell 3 of the OD pedals and get yourself a nice, new & shiny ISP Decimator! Lush hush nicenesssss baaaaaaybeeee :D:D:D

• Members

This may sound strange but I actually prefer a 9v in my OD pedal after using it for a bit. I sounds better when its not getting the full 9v. I suppose I could wire something up and vary the voltage from daisychain power supply, but I am lazy. All My other pedals I run off a power supply.

• Members
Originally posted by Burn

4 overdrives, WTF? That just might be a LITTLE bit excessive, eh?
:freak:

Not really. I use my Clapton Crossroads pedal as a Fender Clean driver, and after it, I have a DOD250 , a bad monkey, and I'm gonna get another monkey so I don't have to keep changing the settings on the one.

I have at least 7 tones with different combinations with those 3, and all very useful for me.

• Members

Right now I have 1 overdrive, a Bad Monkey. I decided to experiment with some Behringer pedals - they are cheap enough that I won't feel guilty if I don't like them too much. So I am getting an ultra medal pedal (wanted 1 pedal with some real kick), a vintage distortion (along the lines of EHX stuff) and another pedal that has 3 different overdrives built into one. Plus I have a distortion on my wah pedal, so I guess that's five. Not counting the RP-80. But I don't plan on using them all at the same time! But yeah, you could use two of them, one more as a boost, the other to shape your sound. Doesn't seem excessive to me. And if I don't like these pedals, I can send them back, or probably sell them for a very small loss.

• Members
Originally posted by Bilbo

How about this? For the first letter of the name of every pedal, in reverse alphabetical order, toss them one at a time into the garbage can and play like a real man, straight-freakin'-through, pedal boy.

haha. They are just tools. I don't use mine all the time, but its handy to have a nice anolog delay laying around. If I could self oscillate myself I would.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Bilbo

How about this? For the first letter of the name of every pedal, in reverse alphabetical order, toss them one at a time into the garbage can and play like a real man, straight-freakin'-through, pedal boy.

Alright there Angus. By the way, Malcolm called. He said he wants people to know he's in the band, too.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because making music is 99% preference, but I'm saying I don't agree with your approach.

• Members

Originally posted by IRG

Thanks guys, kinda comfirms about what I thought, and I will try some of the other suggestions here as well. I'm also trying out one of those 1 Spot connection devices so I can hook up multiple pedals without using 9v batteries or a bunch of separate wal warts. SHould make things easier.

I've got a 1spot and love it. It's nice to be able to plug in once from your board and not have to worry about anything else, and to not have tons of excessive powered wire lying around to cause interference and be all in the way.

• Members

Originally posted by mister kyo

the best way to order the pedals is however they sound best to you

yep. this is the only answer that's 100% correct. some people like their wah in front of their ODs, some like it behind them. some people like compressors before OD, some after, some only keep it in the loop. same with delay, some people swear by the effects loop, others don't.

listen only to your ears, {censored} the rest.

• Members

I asked this question before.
Here's my set up:
Rotovibe
Vox Wah
Bad Monkey
Big Muff
Boss CH-1
Boss NS-2
Holy Grail-No reverb on Bassman
Digitech Delay
The Big Muff is powered seperatly. This also helps reduce noise.
One Spot. This little thing works great.

Works for me.

Archived