new guitar (built) day, my first total build

leopardstar

• Members

ok so i got a body from jj for free, bought a neck from national music, got a set of mean 90's and all the electronics from gfs, bridge from guitar parts central, and put her together, so heres the scoop.

super strat body by cort,---free (thanks jj again)

the neck is soooooo nice, i've never had a $300 mightymite neck before, if you were to hand me this neck and tell me thats what it cost, i would believe you. the rosewood feels like silk, the frets are med. just the way i like them, no sharp edges abloney headstock inlay says super---$34:eek:

electronics, 250k alpha pots, three way switch, .22u tone cap, 2 gold tele knobs with albaloney tops (yeah i know, but the ol'lady picked them out, she also wanted the gold bridge. whatayagonnado?) two mean 90's neck pups (why you ask? cuz i flubbed the order)any way i put them in cuz i have always thought that bridge pups sounded harsh, so shoot me:p ---$104

floating roller tremlo gold---$46

the feeling of pride and joy from building your own guitar---priceless:thu:

sorry no clips, there was one thing i forgot:cry: the f'n jack and jack plate:o

installing the 90's

p-90s.jpg

done

guitar.jpg

body shot

guitar1.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by leopardstar

ok so i got a body from jj for free, bought a neck from national music, got a set of mean 90's and all the electronics from gfs, bridge from guitar parts central, and put her together, so heres the scoop.

super strat body by cort,---free (thanks jj again)

the neck is soooooo nice, i've never had a $300 mightymite neck before, if you were to hand me this neck and tell me thats what it cost, i would believe you. the rosewood feels like silk, the frets are med. just the way i like them, no sharp edges abloney headstock inlay says super---$34:eek:

electronics, 250k alpha pots, three way switch, .22u tone cap, 2 gold tele knobs with albaloney tops (yeah i know, but the ol'lady picked them out, she also wanted the gold bridge. whatayagonnado?) two mean 90's neck pups (why you ask? cuz i flubbed the order)any way i put them in cuz i have always thought that bridge pups sounded harsh, so shoot me:p ---$104

floating roller tremlo gold---$46

the feeling of pride and joy from building your own guitar---priceless:thu:

sorry no clips, there was one thing i forgot:cry: the f'n jack and jack plate:o

installing the 90's

p-90s.jpg
done

guitar.jpg
body shot

guitar1.jpg

:thu:

• Members

two mean 90's neck pups (why you ask? cuz i flubbed the order)any way i put them in cuz i have always thought that bridge pups sounded harsh, so shoot me:p ---$104

Looks like a fun project! Came out nice! :thu:

Question though: aren't neck pickups typically voiced to be brighter than bridge pickups because the bridge position is acoustically harsher and brighter to begin with? By this reasoning won't a neck pickup in the bridge sound even brighter and harsher? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by metallica_00

Looks like a fun project! Came out nice!
:thu:

Question though: aren't neck pickups typically voiced to be brighter than bridge pickups because the bridge position is acoustically harsher and brighter to begin with? By this reasoning won't a neck pickup in the bridge sound even brighter and harsher?
:confused:

well i'm not real sure, but it seems to me that on all my other guitars the neck pup seemed smoother and a little warmer, but that could just be because it's at the neck:confused:
anyway as soon as i get the jack, i'll post to let everyone know how it sounds:D

• Members

well i'm not real sure, but it seems to me that on all my other guitars the neck pup seemed smoother and a little warmer, but that could just be because it's at the neck:confused:

anyway as soon as i get the jack, i'll post to let everyone know how it sounds:D

Yeah, the neck position itself is warmer - not necessarily the pickup. As you get closer to the bridge the area of the strings that the pickup senses gets brighter. Try picking (unplugged) near the fretboard and then near the bridge. The sound is mellower and warmer near the neck, and brighter near the bridge.

I'm not saying it won't sound good, because I've heard of people switching pickups from their intended positions with good results, but my guess is that the Mean 90 neck version is actually voiced brighter than the bridge version.

• Members

$300.00 for a mighty mite neck? I have never seen a mighty mite that expensive. The most expensive might mite I have seen was about $150.00 and it had birdseye. Did it have some custom work done to it that made it more expensive?

You could have gotten a very nice Warmoth or USACG neck for that price.

Max

Archived