GFS Dream 180 = Awesome Pickup

frankencat

• Members

I just installed a Dream 180 in one of my S'51 and I have to say that these are great pickups and I don't just mean for the money, I own all kinds of pickups and these are right up there. Very happy with the Dream 180. I am thinking of buying a set for my V :) GREAT customer service too. I made a mistake and ordered the wrong pickup and they sent me the right one out the next day with a pre-paid shipping label to send the other back. How cool is that? Jay and Dave an Co...You guys ROCK!! -Frank

P.S. I just wanted to add that the addition of the GF bridge and the pickup bought this guitar to the next level. Before it was a fun little around the house clunker, now it is something I would and will bring out on gigs and such. All for about $150. Can't beat that with a stick!

Rock on!

• Members

Originally posted by jake.lind

Switch those two around, and you've got yourself a winner
:thu:

Wait! (maybe)

I've never heard a Mean 90 neck so I have no opinion there, but I have a set of Dream 180s. The neck pickup absolutely sings - beautiful clean and distorted.

I also have a Mean 90 bridge in another guitar and I only have good things to say about it.

Sorry to add to the confusion :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by jake.lind

Switch those two around, and you've got yourself a winner
:thu:

Looks like I'm going to have to get a set of each to see which I like the best. I might end up with a JB or Jazz with one of the these, or two '90s, or two '180s, or one of each, who knows!?! :)

• Members

So give me your personal discription of the tone? My understanding is that they are kind of a cross between a standard humbucker and a filtertron. Like a bastard son.

I was going to put some retrotrons in my agile, but the more I hear about these the more they sound more like what I should go with and save the retrotrons for when I pick up a semi hollow.

Though I gotta say the retrotrons LOOK so dang cool that they just keep sucking me in. Just the look alone. Damn they're pretty.

• Members

I've had some in my Oscar Schmidt for about a year. They can do gritty clean (Jumpin' Jack Flash) on a clean but loud Fender. Bridge pickup's pretty articulated with a big muff compared to the pickups in my '70s SG but still mean--used them in my shot lived Stoner-Rock project. Good for old school punk rock on a cranked high gain amp. The neck almost cops a mellow single coil sound when clean, too, but is alright for crunchy rhythm. They do NOT sound like P90s, but they have their own color. It was not what I was expecting, (I wanted that Who's Next sound) but they are a really nice match for my OE 30. I dig 'em!

• Members

Originally posted by Lump

So give me your personal discription of the tone? My understanding is that they are kind of a cross between a standard humbucker and a filtertron. Like a bastard son.

I was going to put some retrotrons in my agile, but the more I hear about these the more they sound more like what I should go with and save the retrotrons for when I pick up a semi hollow.

Though I gotta say the retrotrons LOOK so dang cool that they just keep sucking me in. Just the look alone. Damn they're pretty.

I have a set of Hot LIverpools in my Squire Jazzmaster, and they're worth the money!

• Members

Originally posted by Lump

The best way I can describe them is they are like chameleons

When you play clean they sound more like 'trons, when you push them they sound like PAFs, but without *all* the edgyness - they do have some (only you can decide if that's good or not)

If PAFs scream, then 180s sing - especially the neck (think Slash)

I have the Dream 180s in an LP copy, my son has the GFS 59s in another LP copy and I have Liverpools in an SG copy so I've heard em all. They are all great pups

• Members

Originally posted by animl

The best way I can describe them is they are like chameleons

When you play clean they sound more like 'trons, when you push them they sound like PAFs, but without *all* the edgyness - they do have some (only you can decide if that's good or not)

If PAFs scream, then 180s sing - especially the neck (think Slash)

I have the Dream 180s in an LP copy, my son has the GFS 59s in another LP copy and I have Liverpools in an SG copy so I've heard em all. They are all great pups

I agree with that description and I think the description on the site nails it perfectly too. They are almost DeArmond sounding but when you push them they fatten up and really sing. Great sustain too and quiet as a mouse and they split really nice too. Hard to beat at twice the price IMHO. I was gonna replace the neck Duncan in my Carvin with a 180 but it doesn't fit and I am not hacking on my DC400. Guess I will just have to live with the Alnico Pro II in that one, hehe. I am debating on putting a 180 set in my Dean V :D

Archived