Comment on my proposed project

IndofunkCity

• Members

Hi yall's.

I've been talking over this project with vintage clubber and he's been giving me some great advice (thanks, man!), but I thought I'd share with the rest of the kids to get opinions, warnings, etc.

First off, it's gonna be a bunch of wiring mods on my Artcore hollowbody. I've replaced a few pickups on solidbodies, and I've made a simple effect circuit or two, but never worked on a hollowbody. this scares me :D

Here's the proposition:

1. Replace stock pickups with GFS vintage Nashville Retrotrons

2. Change the controls to master volume - blend pot - 2 tones

3. Put in a mini toggle to switch from parallel to split coils to series

I actually received all the parts last night, and I may do the deed this weekend if I don't get too scared and send it to VC :D Here's my hacked-together wiring diagram. It looks like it'd work... whaddya all think?

crazyschem-blend.jpg

(sorry about the terrible photochop :o )

So. Any advice, warnings, "yur {censored}in stoopid", etc? :wave:

edit: oh, the tone caps will be .022uf...

• Members

Well folks, I did it. It didn't quite turn out the way I'd expected, but I'm hoping some of you can tell me what I did wrong.

First, the photodocumentation....

1.jpg

Popped out the old pickups and hardware. Note mental floss to keep pots and knobs labeled and (hopefully) easy to pull back through.

2.jpg

The entire Artcore assembly. They did a pretty damn good job, those Chinese. Heat shrink tubing and decent solder joints.

3.jpg

Put in all new hardware. eek.

4.jpg

Hooking up the minitoggle on a lifesaving solder station.

5.jpg

Partially wired up. Note Sprague orange drop caps.

8.jpg

Testing the output before tackling the daunting task of putting it all back together.

9.jpg

Success! Or rather, success? :confused:

Here's the thing. See...

1. In full humbuckler position on the minitoggle, everything sounds fine. Except for 2.

2. I switched the neck and bridge tone controls. D'Oh!

3. In the other 2 minitoggle positions, the coils are on in very {censored}ing weird combinations...

*Middle position neck: both middle coils are on plus a little of the outer neck coil

*Middle position both pups: only the middle coils are on

*Middle position bridge: both middle coils plus a little of the outer neck coil

*Bottom position neck: all 4 coils on

*Bottom position middle: all 4 coils on

*Bottom position bridge: all 4 coils on, but the bridge coils seem weaker

:freak:

Anyways, here's a clip where I just play an E chord through all 9 positions. Mayhaps one of you tone doctors can help figger out WTF I did.

http://www.IndofunkCity.com/music/xhcfx/artcore/gfs_wtf.mp3

toggle up - neck

toggle up - both

toggle up - bridge

toggle middle - neck

toggle middle - both

toggle middle - bridge

toggle down - neck

toggle down - both

toggle down - bridge

Here are some comparisons with the stock Artcore pickups. GFS clips are on full humbuckler, and all pots are wide open. All through the Champ with the tone pots on 10 and the volume on 5 (to prevent overdriving). Into an SM58.

Artcore neck

Artcore bridge

GFS neck

GFS bridge

Obviously, I'm an even worse guitar player than I am a guitar modder :D

So since it was such a royal PITA to do, and since the full humbucklers sound fine, and also since some of the other unknown positions actually sound decent, I'm gonna leave it like this for a second.

• Members

An engineer (and guitar player) friend of mine looked at the schem and laughed. He said it's not even wired for a simple parallel humbuckler :( Here's what he said:

I think your big problem is you have the red wires and white wires from both pickups wired together. This will give you all kinds of strange effects. For instance if you have the switch up, you may think you are just getting series, but it reality you are getting the two top coils (one from each pickup) in parallel and those are in series with the two bottom coils which are also in parallel.

:D:freak:

So I guess I gotta go back to the drawing board and get ready to pull the dam thing out again and rewire :cry:

I found this SD schem, I *think* it should be better ... looks lke maybe I just jumpered the wrong poles...

new_dpdt_schem.jpg

Any more comments before I {censored} it up royally again? :D

• Members

Originally posted by IndofunkCity

An engineer (and guitar player) friend of mine looked at the schem and laughed. He said it's not even wired for a simple parallel humbuckler
:(
Here's what he said:

So I guess I gotta go back to the drawing board and get ready to pull the dam thing out again and rewire
:cry:

I found this SD schem, I *think* it should be better ... looks lke maybe I just jumpered the wrong poles...

new_dpdt_schem.jpg

Any more comments before I {censored} it up royally again?
:D

When I first started trying to do my own mods 20 years ago, I botched more than my share of jobs that I ended up taking to a tech to fix...:o

• Members

Won't you need TWO switches (one for each humbucker)?

I have an Artcore AK85 with two Nashvilles in it. They seem kinda weak to be coil split or run in parallel. I suggest maybe something hotter from GFS like the Liverpools. At any rate here's my Artcore:

artcore.jpg

There's also a "5 way switch" you can hook up to any given humbucker.

Gives you either coil individually plus in series, in parallel, and out of phase

two of THOSE switches would give you LOTS of tones to play with.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by IndofunkCity

An engineer (and guitar player) friend of mine looked at the schem and laughed. He said it's not even wired for a simple parallel humbuckler
:(
Here's what he said:

So I guess I gotta go back to the drawing board and get ready to pull the dam thing out again and rewire
:cry:

new_dpdt_schem.jpg

Any more comments before I {censored} it up royally again?
:D

hey indo!

that looks right if you're trying to wire one humbucker for series/parallel. but you'll need another push/pull or 2-way DPDT switch for the other humbucker. in your first diagram it looks like you were trying to use 1 switch to switch 2 pups from series to parallel. AFAIK it's not possible to switch 2 pups w/ one switch like that.

however, if you want series, parallel, AND split coils, you'll need a 3-way switch, which isn't available in push/pull. unless someones makes a push/pull/pull harder. ;)

IMO having split coils AND parallel wiring on a humbucker is redundant. both are designed for a single coil sound; having one or the other is enough. i'd suggest parallel if they're low output pups.

what's the blend pot for?

balancing the 2 pups and then the other 2 are tone?

PM me if you need help in case i don't see this.

i'll do what i can.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived