Has anyone tried a Gibson TP-6 tailpiece?

p4vl

• Members

I have one on my Sheraton. They don't affect the tone at all as far as I can tell. I put this one on because I had it around when I removed the Bigsby that this guitar used to have.

They are handy to do quick tuning adjustments while you are playing.

Sheraton2.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by p4vl

The fine tuners seem practical, but is tone/sustain affected? I don't know that it would fit my Agile, but it can't hurt to try. Not available in Nickel, though
:mad:

They work fine. I doubt that you will notice any sustain difference. As for them fitting on your Agile, hard to say. More than likely, you will at least have to pull the studs out and replace them with the ones that come with the bridge.

• Members

Originally posted by JohnnyR

I've had one on my LPC for 20+ years. The tone is not affected and the convenience of the fine tuners can't be beat for those "on the fly" fixes:thu:

lpb1.jpg

my jaw hits the floor everytime i see that guitar :love:

• Members

I feel like responding!

The TP-6 tailpiece was one of the biggest improvements I gave my SG Custom. Hard to find this past summer in Gold, I finally got it October 2nd 2006. It is the true deal for those cases where the guitar needs just a slight adjustment, and you are looking to avoid the tuning overshot deal that happens with adjusting the regular tuners.

Guitar Center has them for around $46 in Chrome or Gold.

Along with a new Gotoh bridge, Sperzel Tuners and the TP-6 my Epi SG Custom has the sustain and wonderful tone that good, improved hardware can do for the not-so-actual Gibson Model.

Now we're Screamin'!!

(PS....I won't part with the Alnico V pickups on this Korean built Custom. They are quite nice.)

• Members

I have one on a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion. I tried a regular stop bar for a short time to see if there was any difference in tone or sustain, but I didn't hear any. It works well, although I rarely use the fine tuners - the guitar stays in tune quite well.

• Members

Originally posted by ggc

I have one on a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion. I tried a regular stop bar for a short time to see if there was any difference in tone or sustain, but I didn't hear any. It works well, although I rarely use the fine tuners - the guitar stays in tune quite well.

ggc, What pick-ups do you have in your Howard Roberts sig model?

Back on topics, I do have the tp-6 on my Gary Moore sig LP. The reason I got it was that for slight adjustments, the normal tuning going through the (poorly cut) nut is too time consuming and often detune after a couple of bends. I know, I'll have to have a new nut made but, since that guitar was only slightly less expensive than a standard, they could have done it right in the first place, or not? Anyway here it is :

LPGMsig.jpg

• Members

I had one on my Epi LP Classic Birdseye. My brother took itoff his Firedird, and it was just sitting in a box. When I sold that Epi, I gave the guy buying it the option I'd be happy to remove it and put the original back on...he said he wanted it...it's still on there, too!

• Members

I've had'em on my Lp for 26 years-it came stock. I really like it-makes tuning with an electronic tuner way faster and easier. Change in tone? Most people couldn't tell Page used a Tele instead of a Lester-I doubt anyone, including you, will notice.

• Members

I was orignally given a TP-6 back in 1974 by a Gibson rep after showing him one of my Custom Shop LP's.

I have them on every Gibson guitar I have had since then.

They make slight adjustments to the tuning faster and far easier then using the regular tuners.

As for losing or gaining sustain, I never had my stop tail set all the way down on any LP I ever had. I set it to accomodate the feel of the string tension first as I have always had great sustain from my Gibsons, and still do.

I haven't noticed any less sustain as a result of using s TP-6 on any of my guitars.

I love the idea of them and the practicality of them as well.

Some Gibson players hate them and wouldn't use them. I cannot blame the Gibson tulip tuners with the plastic buttons on tuning problems, as I have them on every Gibson I have and they all stay in tune wonderfully for me. I believe any tuning problems are a result of a persons inability to correctly string their guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by C-4

I believe any tuning problems are a result of a persons inability to correctly string their guitars.

Are you saying it could be human error?

Damn! And I just used to think it was terrible Pot Metal parts and and Asian brother of Grovers!

Everyone needs a little tweak now and then.

TP-6 + My Epi = sweet.

Couldn't do without it.

Archived