Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to darken a rosewood fretboard?

I like the look of old vintage strat rosewood necks (i think they're brazilian??) that have quite dark wood. Are there any tricks to darken up my rosewood fretboard safely??

Thanks
    Guitars: 62 Reissue Strat, Gibson 335
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb
    Effects: Xotic RC, Diamond Compressor, Diamond Trem, Klon, Space Echo, Nobels ODR-1, Strymon El Capistan, DD-20, Zvex BOR, Modfactor

play it alot for many many years.
    Listen...

Comment

Lemon oil or the like will probably make it darker
      Bouquet of clumsy words

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

**************** you and Jason Mraz.

Comment

Lemon Oil.

Comment

I think this is what you are looking for. I've heard a few people get good results.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

Comment

Originally posted by Burning Babies
            I think this is what you are looking for. I've heard a few people get good results.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

i think thats only for ebony...
            Good deals with: randel 07 , Teh Bacons , sobrandnew2232 , Renfield, pfindeis, dangolguitartec, rocketop777, slappymcfinkles @ www.custompedalboard.com

Comment

Originally posted by skiscem
              i think thats only for ebony...

No, a dye's a dye. It'll dye anything that is porous enough to let it in. A few guys on here have done rosewood boards with it or something similar, and it worked out fine.
              Stupednous is the disease. And I'm the solution.

Comment

only brown

Comment

drink about 2-3 liters of a heavy stout...then drop your dacks, sit on the fretboard 'n wait

works a treat

Comment

lemon oil is a terrible suggestion.

In the long term, it actually is drying out your fretboard, which will actually make it lighter looking, and worse yet, more prone to cracking, warping, and the like.

Lemon oil should only be used to clean an extreeeeeeemly dirty fretboard.

Pure mineral oil is much better as a conditioner.
                    TAKE THAT MANDY MOORE!
                    and rogue agent of the SG Army
                    Uberschall Uber Alles

Comment

I luthier I know swears by Indian Ink but be careful !
                      Professor Tom

Comment

Originally posted by No Soul
                        lemon oil is a terrible suggestion.

In the long term, it actually is drying out your fretboard, which will actually make it lighter looking, and worse yet, more prone to cracking, warping, and the like.

Lemon oil should only be used to clean an extreeeeeeemly dirty fretboard.

Pure mineral oil is much better as a conditioner.

Quote from PRS site

For the cleaning and conditioning of a rosewood fretboard, rosewood neck optioned McCarty solidbody, 513 Rosewood neck/fretboard or the neck/fretboard of your Modern Eagle model we recommend the use of a quality lemon oil. This should also clean tarnished frets as well as dirt built up on your fretboard if used with a toothbrush. After the lemon oil is applied, thoroughly wipe down all of the surfaces with a soft, clean, dry cloth and seal it with a quality furniture polish. The natural oils in your hands, over time, should seal and treat the rosewood as well[

I think I will go with PRS.
                        "I don't think he's a liar, just a fantasist. He says whatever he likes, and then he believes it."
                        Norman Tebbit

Comment

Originally posted by knotty
                          Quote from PRS site

For the cleaning and conditioning of a rosewood fretboard, rosewood neck optioned McCarty solidbody, 513 Rosewood neck/fretboard or the neck/fretboard of your Modern Eagle model we recommend the use of a quality lemon oil. This should also clean tarnished frets as well as dirt built up on your fretboard if used with a toothbrush. After the lemon oil is applied, thoroughly wipe down all of the surfaces with a soft, clean, dry cloth and seal it with a quality furniture polish. The natural oils in your hands, over time, should seal and treat the rosewood as well[

I think I will go with PRS.

Read it carefuly and read what we are talking about here.

Im not disagreeing with that at all, as they recomend using it as a cleaner, and nothing else. Conditioning is a different story, and for that Im going to have to agree with just about every knowledgable person who deals with antiques over anybody else.

To go into more detail, 99% of lemon oils (including those packaged for guitar care) contain solvents, which are great for cleaning, but once again, actually bad for the wood itself if used regularly.
                          TAKE THAT MANDY MOORE!
                          and rogue agent of the SG Army
                          Uberschall Uber Alles

Comment

I did read it carefully and even highlighted the word 'conditioning'.

I cant see them being wrong, its their product.
                            "I don't think he's a liar, just a fantasist. He says whatever he likes, and then he believes it."
                            Norman Tebbit

Comment

Gerlitz Guitar Honey

Comment

Working...
                              X