Sweeping question

IcyScythe

• Members

I'm trying to learn how to sweep and I have a question. If I'm sweeping say these four notes four times in a row:

--6--------

-----8-----

--------7--

Do I place my fingers in that chord shape and then let them up as I play each note OR do I have only put the one finger on the note as I play it (like in say, a solo).

A bit hard to get across what I'm trying to ask... hope someone understands :idea:

• Members
Not sure that's possible in this case:

-----------------

-----------------

---0-------------

------0----------

---------1-------

------------3----

do it like this...

--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
----5---------------
-------5------------
----------6--3------ problem solved!

otherwise, mute those two open notes with a finger youre not using, like the pinky! :)

• Members

You use the slight lifting on your fretting finger to mute the note. This is a little awkward but will get better as you practice. You can use your right hand to mute but ultimately the left hand is more important as far as muting is concerend with sweeping.

You can form the chord shape with your hand, just keep the fingers off the strings, some people do this, some dont.

Most importantly, slow down, dont be tempted to crank up the speed, or you will find yoruself being a really fast sweeper that plays sloppy really fast, hehe. It took me some time to reset my bad habits while sweeping and start from scratch nice and slow.

You prolly already know this, use a metronome, very small speed increases. Concentrate on your cleanness and fluidity, and the speed will show up on it's own.

Archived