Peavey Reactor?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Reactor?

Good morning!

Relatively simple and harmless question....Can anyone compare for me the Peavey Reactor to whatever you feel is most closest (IE -Fender Mim, Xavier, etc...) ?

I read the reviews, and they are all good -- just want your opinions.

that pawn shop find of 4 guitars stoked my gas.... darn it!
    “Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you’ll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world” – Julius Schwartz

Somewhere between Fender MIM and MIA. Great quality build and good quality woods, but the pickups are ceramic. Mine kinda sounded like P-90 but were microphonic if you pushed them. Did a setup, a fret LCP, and replaced the neck and middle pickup with Vintage Noiseless, and it's quickly making moves at being my number 1.

Comment

I'd say, the Peavey Reactor ranks up to a pretty damn good MIM Fender. Might even stand well against some MIA's. It's made in America as well!!
      Campbell UK-1
      http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
      https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

Somewhere between Fender MIM and MIA. Great quality build and good quality woods, but the pickups are ceramic. Mine kinda sounded like P-90 but were microphonic if you pushed them. Did a setup, a fret LCP, and replaced the neck and middle pickup with Vintage Noiseless, and it's quickly making moves at being my number 1.

Wow -- ok -- well -- I wonder if this was the case for ALL years of the guitar. Was it always a keeper?
        “Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you’ll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world” – Julius Schwartz

Comment

Wow -- ok -- well -- I wonder if this was the case for ALL years of the guitar. Was it always a keeper?

I would think as long as they were all USA models (check headstock) you should be fine. I don't know if Peavey ever subsequently used the "Reactor" model name for subsequent import models, they didn't to my knowledge. With the Strat version (Predator) they did subsequently have an import model (Predator EXP or something like that), so you just have to inspect to see what you're getting.

Fwiw, my USA Predator is at least as nice as my MIM Fender Strat was.

BK
          Visit Crash Pad at:
          http://CrashPadBand.com
          CONSUME!:
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
          Gear List/Pics:
          https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

What would you guys pay for one?

Comment

I had two predators, and they both had the same ceramic pickups if that's what you're asking.

The first one I had had a headstock like this (early construction):

My new one is more like this, except it says handcrafted in the USA on the back

Both of them had excellent build quality, but both were in need of a setup, and when I was 13, I didn't know how to do that.

The USA peavey models I know of are:

Predator (some)
              Reactor
              Falcon

The indonesian ones are:

Predator "International Series"
              Predator AX
              Raptor

I'm 99% sure the Reactor was always MIA.

I paid $120 for mine 10 years ago, and $105 for one last year. Reactors seem to go for a bit more. I'd say $150 with a HSC.
              Some people are simply out of their gourd, like this guy:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-USA-MADE-Reactor-Telecaster-Style-Electric_W0QQitemZ190072251596QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3 3046QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
              But others are more reasonable.

Comment

On ebay -- there's not much more reasonable.... I saw that guy.. and only a handful of others at the moment. I will keep looking -- I thought 175 w/gig bag PLUS shipping was a little high too....

They look like a real good workhorse... which is what I am needing.....

Comment

Keep your eyes open, they pop up from time to time and aren't very popular auctions. If you can do a level, crown and polish, you should pick up an abused one, because they tend to go for less. Often you'll see one go up on ebay and not get bid on until the last day. You can snipe them for a few bucks more than the opening bid.

Predators are less popular than Reactors, and get less bids, if you're open to suggestion. I've always thought it would be cool to put a Tele bridge pickup in a Strat body. They are routed HSH. . . . .

Comment

My new one is more like this, except it says handcrafted in the USA on the back

That right there was my first guitar. Purchased it when I was...um...15 I guess. Still have it.
                    I play in a band called Genital Hercules. We have a website and a myspace. I also play in a band called The Hot Love.

Comment

Sweet. I still have mine, but I re-made the body, and put a fender neck on it, and swapped all the electronics, tuners, and trem springs.
                      It's my avatar now.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys....... I appreciate it greatly.

Comment

The USA peavey models I know of are:

Predator (some)
                          Reactor
                          Falcon

The indonesian ones are:

Predator "International Series"
                          Predator AX
                          Raptor

The Predator AX was American too.. I have one, it has a rosewood board and humbucker HSS setup..

"It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you."
                          Bon Scott

Comment

i got mine for 96 bucks on ebay. i can't find anything really wrong with, and that's without a setup or any new parts. it plays just fine for me, and the pickups are pretty good, but not great. i'm sure new pups and the setup couldn't hurt, but for a $96 dollar guitar... doesn't really seem worth it.
                            It's so safe to play along
                            Little soldiers in a row
                            Falling in and out of love
                            Something sweet to throw away.
                            I want something good to die for
                            To make it beautiful to live.

I want a new mistake, lose is more than hesitate.

Comment

I was following an ebay sale last week. The sale price ended up being around 230-240 or so. But it was basically NOS, still with the tags, a hardshell case, and a gig bag. So that BIN of $199 isn't so out of line, unless it's been trashed.

Everyone seems to find these MIA Peaveys from the past for cheap, but I never do. Least not one that's been taken care of. That red Predator of Brian's looked so clean for the price...

Comment

Working...
                              X