Peavey Reactor?

FUBTAG

• Members

Good morning!

Relatively simple and harmless question....Can anyone compare for me the Peavey Reactor to whatever you feel is most closest (IE -Fender Mim, Xavier, etc...) ?

I read the reviews, and they are all good -- just want your opinions.

that pawn shop find of 4 guitars stoked my gas.... darn it! :thu:

• Members

Somewhere between Fender MIM and MIA. Great quality build and good quality woods, but the pickups are ceramic. Mine kinda sounded like P-90 but were microphonic if you pushed them. Did a setup, a fret LCP, and replaced the neck and middle pickup with Vintage Noiseless, and it's quickly making moves at being my number 1.

• Members

Somewhere between Fender MIM and MIA. Great quality build and good quality woods, but the pickups are ceramic. Mine kinda sounded like P-90 but were microphonic if you pushed them. Did a setup, a fret LCP, and replaced the neck and middle pickup with Vintage Noiseless, and it's quickly making moves at being my number 1.

Wow -- ok -- well -- I wonder if this was the case for ALL years of the guitar. Was it always a keeper?

• Members

Wow -- ok -- well -- I wonder if this was the case for ALL years of the guitar. Was it always a keeper?

I would think as long as they were all USA models (check headstock) you should be fine. I don't know if Peavey ever subsequently used the "Reactor" model name for subsequent import models, they didn't to my knowledge. With the Strat version (Predator) they did subsequently have an import model (Predator EXP or something like that), so you just have to inspect to see what you're getting.

Fwiw, my USA Predator is at least as nice as my MIM Fender Strat was.

BK

• Members

I had two predators, and they both had the same ceramic pickups if that's what you're asking.

The first one I had had a headstock like this (early construction):

2699_1.JPG

My new one is more like this, except it says handcrafted in the USA on the back

4a2b_12.JPG

Both of them had excellent build quality, but both were in need of a setup, and when I was 13, I didn't know how to do that. :eek:

The USA peavey models I know of are:

Predator (some)

Reactor

Falcon

The indonesian ones are:

Predator "International Series"

Predator AX

Raptor

I'm 99% sure the Reactor was always MIA.

I paid $120 for mine 10 years ago, and $105 for one last year. Reactors seem to go for a bit more. I'd say $150 with a HSC.

Some people are simply out of their gourd, like this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-USA-MADE-Reactor-Telecaster-Style-Electric_W0QQitemZ190072251596QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33046QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But others are more reasonable.

• Members

On ebay -- there's not much more reasonable.... I saw that guy.. and only a handful of others at the moment. I will keep looking -- I thought 175 w/gig bag PLUS shipping was a little high too....

They look like a real good workhorse... which is what I am needing.....

• Members

Keep your eyes open, they pop up from time to time and aren't very popular auctions. If you can do a level, crown and polish, you should pick up an abused one, because they tend to go for less. Often you'll see one go up on ebay and not get bid on until the last day. You can snipe them for a few bucks more than the opening bid.

Predators are less popular than Reactors, and get less bids, if you're open to suggestion. I've always thought it would be cool to put a Tele bridge pickup in a Strat body. They are routed HSH. . . . .

• Members

The USA peavey models I know of are:

Predator (some)

Reactor

Falcon

The indonesian ones are:

Predator "International Series"

Predator AX

Raptor

The Predator AX was American too.. I have one, it has a rosewood board and humbucker HSS setup..

6ba1ab95.jpg

• Members

i got mine for 96 bucks on ebay. i can't find anything really wrong with, and that's without a setup or any new parts. it plays just fine for me, and the pickups are pretty good, but not great. i'm sure new pups and the setup couldn't hurt, but for a $96 dollar guitar... doesn't really seem worth it.

• Members

I was following an ebay sale last week. The sale price ended up being around 230-240 or so. But it was basically NOS, still with the tags, a hardshell case, and a gig bag. So that BIN of $199 isn't so out of line, unless it's been trashed.

Everyone seems to find these MIA Peaveys from the past for cheap, but I never do. Least not one that's been taken care of. That red Predator of Brian's looked so clean for the price...

• Members

The Predator AX was American too.. I have one, it has a rosewood board and humbucker HSS setup..

I think he was thinking of the Predator EXP, which is one of the import versions.

Btw, to the OP, check the Peavey forum at peavey.com for info on Peavey models past and present, there are some rabid Peavey guys over there and lots of good info.

• Members

I was following an ebay sale last week. The sale price ended up being around 230-240 or so. But it was basically NOS, still with the tags, a hardshell case, and a gig bag. So that BIN of $199 isn't so out of line, unless it's been trashed.

Everyone seems to find these MIA Peaveys from the past for cheap, but I never do. Least not one that's been taken care of. That red Predator of Brian's looked so clean for the price...

It has a couple dings through the paint that don't show up well in photos due to size and location, but it is otherwise in very good shape.

Oddly, when I got it one of the pots didn't work. The seller claimed ignorance, I suggested he just send me a refund of $20 and I'd have it fixed, so it still came out to about $100, plus the shipping.

As noted in some posts above, the Reactors fetch a bit more than the Predators.

BK

• Members

Sweet. I still have mine, but I re-made the body, and put a fender neck on it, and swapped all the electronics, tuners, and trem springs.
:p
It's my avatar now.

I put a blue pearloid pickguard on mine (my body is black), replaced the pickups with Fenders I found for cheap on eBay (I think I need to move to better ones though), replaced the pots (some fool suggested I put a 1 Meg pot in for the volume and I really need to get that out of there and put in a 500K or even 250K), and shielded and star-grounded the interior to get rid of most of the 60 Hz buzz. I should probably block the trem too. It's a pretty swell guitar, really. I'm not a big strat guy but I'll never get rid of it.

• Members

It has a couple dings through the paint that don't show up well in photos due to size and location, but it is otherwise in very good shape.

BK

I remember being drawn to how "clean" the fretboard was. The Finish on it looked perfect...at least from the pic. I frequent the PV forums often, so I'd be wondering what the diff is between that predator you have (SSS) vs the Falcon. Locally there is a Predator, but it's the Single humbucker version.

Wonder what your's would be like with some EMG SA's in it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Also - don't turn up your nose at the Peavey "T" series. There are several models (IIRC, Patriot, T-15 and T-30 are short-scale - 23.75"; T-25, 26 and 27 are Standard 24.75" scale, T-60 is 25.5" scale). These are sleepers - with the exception of the T-60 and can be bought for under 2 bills any day of the week on E-bay depending on condition. They are solid guitars and the hardware (with the possible exception of the tuners on some models) and electronics are practically bomb-proof. The also look different enough to make you stand out from the Legions of F&G guys... If I had more room, I'd like to get one of each model.

Archived