Installing classic 57's in my Dot Deluxe

Madmusicltd

• Members

I am ready to install new Gibson 57 classic and classic plus pick-ups in my epiphone dot deluxe. What's the best approach since there is no access from the back of the guitar? I was assuming I can feed the pots thru the f-holes, or should I loosen everything and pull through the pick-up holes? any advice would help...

• Members

I replaced the pickups in mine and had to pull everything out througn the F hole. There was no access through the pickup cavity on mine. It's not a fun job, but was worth it. Tie string or fishing line to each pot shaft with enough length so you can pull them back to their places when you've got the new pups soldered in.

• Members

I planned on an hour and it took two...

I removed all four pots, the neck tone is the PIA

and fumbling with the lock washers ect. AND trying

not to scratch the finish. It was too late to crank up the

amps, I'll have to take them for a test drive another day...

• Members

Hmmm, we should sticky this as it comes up every other week.

There should be a through route in the bridge pickup cavity like a 335. I think it would be very difficult to put full-sized pots back through the f-hole with braided leads soldered to the backs but the mini pots that are in it fit through. But if you're going to this much trouble, you really might think about replacing the wiring harness with quality components at the same time.

site1052.jpg

The easiest thing to do is to clip the leads of the current pickups and solder the new pickup leads to them:

site1053.jpg

• Members

Hmmm, we should sticky this as it comes up every other week.

There should be a through route in the bridge pickup cavity like a 335. I think it would be very difficult to put full-sized pots
back
through the f-hole with braided leads soldered to the backs but the mini pots that are in it fit through. But if you're going to this much trouble, you really might think about replacing the wiring harness with quality components at the same time.

site1052.jpg

The easiest thing to do is to clip the leads of the current pickups and solder the new pickup leads to them:

site1053.jpg

I still don't know why everyone thinks they must solder the pickup leads directly to the pots. I am no expert but I have always just clipped the leads midway between the pickup and body, trimmed the new leads to the same length as the old ones and soldered them up. I use heat shrink tubing to insulate and used tape before heat shrink was available. Never even thought about going through the trouble of pulling eveything out like that on a semi or hollow body. On a strat or SG type, I just loosen the strings, lift the pickguard and stuff some styrofoam in as a spacer, pull the pickups and then snip and solder. Saves restringing when its not needed too.

• Members

Change EVERYTHING! The pick-up's will definatly improve the Tone. But the pots and especially the 3-way switch are Crap on the Epis. Snake it it through is a pain. But using Fishing Line to pull the pots up to the bodys holes is the easiest way IMO. I'm getting ready to do my 335. I really reeally don't like the 57's. I much prefer the DiMarzio PAF-JOE and PAF-PRO. I have been playing my Upgraded Artcore AS-73 a whole lot more than the 335. And thats a shame..

• Members

My opinions on the matter:

NEVER clip the leads at the pickups and use the old leads. Sure it's a little easy but you are basically ruining the pickup's resale value.

Also don't clip the lead in the middle. You are left with a lead that's too short for future use. The shielding is damaged that way also. Also It's really difficult

when you have two soldered wires next to each other to avoid touching and shorting out. You end up having to insulate them and that defeats the purpose of making the job easier..

The BEST way to replace pickups on a guitar like that is to unbolt the pots and let them drop into the guitar. Set aside the washers and nuts. Now draw all the pots out THROUGH THE BOTTOM F-Hole. Also draw all the pickup leads through the bottom F-hole. Solder there. Next get some unwaxed dental floss and drop it through the pot holes and draw them out the bottom F-hole. Tie the floss to the pot stems and pull them up back into place. ANd you're pretty much done.

By all means DON'T trim the leads any more than you have to. Leave them long and flapping away inside the guitar. If you string up that guitar and hate the sound, you then still have the option of removing them and selling them on Ebay to get most of your money back. Believe it or not this sometimes is the case.

• Members

I'm glad I bumped this one. This is very interesting.

Gary, you don't like the 57's? What would be great sounding, two conductor (splittable) pups in a semi. I play clean or with a bit of crunch, never with a lot of distortion. Thanks for the input.

• Members

My opinions on the matter:

NEVER clip the leads at the pickups and use the old leads. Sure it's a little easy but you are basically ruining the pickup's resale value.

Also don't clip the lead in the middle. You are left with a lead that's too short for future use. The shielding is damaged that way also. Also It's really difficult

when you have two soldered wires next to each other to avoid touching and shorting out. You end up having to insulate them and that defeats the purpose of making the job easier..

The BEST way to replace pickups on a guitar like that is to unbolt the pots and let them drop into the guitar. Set aside the washers and nuts. Now draw all the pots out THROUGH THE BOTTOM F-Hole. Also draw all the pickup leads through the bottom F-hole. Solder there. Next get some unwaxed dental floss and drop it through the pot holes and draw them out the bottom F-hole. Tie the floss to the pot stems and pull them up back into place. ANd you're pretty much done.

By all means DON'T trim the leads any more than you have to. Leave them long and flapping away inside the guitar. If you string up that guitar and hate the sound, you then still have the option of removing them and selling them on Ebay to get most of your money back. Believe it or not this sometimes is the case.

I definately agree when it comes to Gibson style guitars/pickups. I do trim the leads on strat pickups when doing a pre-wired pickguard assembly though...:o

• Members

I can say with absolute certainty that there's no way to pull the full-sized pots with braided leads soldered to them through the f-hole on my ES335 - I tried and all it got me was a dinged up f-hole. The mini pots in an Epiphone are another story - But are you going to want to replace them with more mini pots or with full sized CTS pots?

The last time I changed the pickups in the 335, I just soldered new leads in place and pulled them into the pickup cavities (bottom picture in the above post.) Now I can easily change pickups without pulling the harness.

As for clipping the leads on the existing pickup, if the pickup has essentially no resale value, what's the difference? I wouldn't clip the leads on something that has some value.

Archived